Brutal Fencer (A Fighter Build)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Btw, this is very similar to an idea I had for an unarmed combatant called a Pankratiast. Only his mechanic wasn't one of his at will's he chooses, but a class feature that is a minor action, grab the target, give opponent penalty to escape.

"Pankratiast"? is that a world specific development?

Eldorian

First Post
"Pankratiast"? is that a world specific development?

Um sure. Earth specific. No idea what they'd call it on Omicron Persei 8.

Wikipedia said:
Pankration (Greek: Παγκράτιο(ν), Pagkratio(n), IPA: [paŋ.'kra.ti.o(n)]) is a martial arts sport introduced to the Greek Olympic Games in 648 BC and founded as a blend of boxing and wrestling. The term comes from the Ancient Greek παγκράτιον, literally meaning "all powers" and that from πᾶν (pan) "all" + κράτος (kratos) "strength" or "power". It is also used to describe the sport's contemporary variations. Some consider it as the first all-encompassing fighting system in human history. It is also arguable that pankration competitions in antiquity were the closest an athletic event has come to outright, no-rules, empty hand combat. Modern mixed martial arts competitions have come to feature many of the same methods that were used in pankration competitions in the ancient Greek world.

Last edited:

Eldorian

First Post
Well its "greek" to me ...hehehe I would have groked Pugilist.

Ah, but a pugilist isn't spending his time trying to choke dudes to death.

And, now you learned something.

The goal here was to make a non mystical martial artist, and I figured the best way to let that be known was to use a western name for it.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'd definitely like to see a Greco-roman style wrestling fighter. But instead of just grapples and holds, I would enjoy seeing it taken in the Mythical direction. Ala Hercules. The "I can lift boulders and smash the heads of dragons". Beowulf ripped Grendil's arm off with his bare hands. That sort of "Strong man" archetype.

Remove ads