• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Buzz on Aces and Eights?

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
Doug Sundseth said:
The "shot clock" mechanic looks pretty much exactly like the shooting mechanic used in Millennium's End, from Chameleon Eclectic*. I liked it 16 years ago, too. :cool:

* Designed by Charles Ryan. Yes, that one.

I think some people assume that at first glance (i.e just looking at the fact there's an overlay and a siloueete involved). but the mechanic is actually quite different.

The difference in approach is obvious once you've seen it used in A&8.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
theemrys said:
I think it does add something... I mean... you choose where you aim... if you KNOW you're a bad shot you could aim off target and hope you "miss" the right way... :) Seriously though, I like the idea... makes it seem more "interesting'.

Kentucky Windage...? ;)

BadMojo

First Post
Aces & Eights looks interesting but probably not something I'd end up actually buying. I would probably lean towards something ilke Sidewinder if I wanted a traditional Western RPG.

Adamant Enterainment's Spaghetti-Fu-Punk game "Far West" . I definitely dig less traditional westerns and Spaghetti Westers, Wuxia and Steam Punk are three of my favorite things.

Meloncov

First Post
I demoed the cobat system at Origins, and enjoyed it. However, the setting doesn't interest me much; if I do buy it, I'll proably convert it for use in a Firefly game.

Wes

First Post
I'm stoked about this release. I dig the engine and the alternate history seems like rich soil to grow a cool campaign in. I've always been a fan of westerns but could never get into a 'correct' history western RPG, or one with a supernatural element (that just doesn't feel right to me).

Also: The book looks NICE! This release will definately be talked about for years to come. I've never seen anything with this quality. I just hope the good folks at K&C have printed enough copies. Word on the street is that it will sell out quick and go into backorder.

Cheers to Mark Plemmons for cranking out an awesome game!*

*Also Jolly/Dave/Steve ;)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I'm very happy with Sidewinder Recoiled for a straight western. I've also had good luck using D&D Rules with a western setting. I was looking forward to Aces and Eights two years ago when they first started talking about it in Knights of the Dinner Table magazine but after all this time have lost some of my enthusiasm.

scourger

Explorer
A&8 looks awesome, but I know that if I buy it then it will most likely be for me to just read for enjoyment--which I have done with other games (intentionally or coincidentally) and may do with A&8 because it looks so good. I've got an old Boot Hill module in the queue to run as a sort of Deadlands Reloaded (but more like basic Savage Worlds than DLR), if I could actually get my group interested in anything but D&D. My best chance to play A&8 is to keep sending previews to my buddy who also GMs for our group in the hopes that he will pick it up. But, he's pretty into Goodman Games modules right now...

coyote6

Adventurer
I'm interested, but I am doubtful that my group would play & enjoy it, from what I've seen. I'm going to have to try to get in a demo or something at Gen Con.

Hard8Staff

First Post
Silver Moon said:
I was looking forward to Aces and Eights two years ago when they first started talking about it in Knights of the Dinner Table magazine but after all this time have lost some of my enthusiasm.

Maybe after you see the actual book your enthusiasm will return. ;)

The Green Adam

First Post
I love Kenzer as a company and I am quite interested based on the buzz and previews but...I just hate Westerns. Unless you can jazz it up with Native American spirits and Steampunk I'll probably never get any use out of it. :\

Remove ads