[C&C] Why the edition wars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Look at it from another perspective. Suppose someone started a thread saying, "Creamed Spinach is one of the best foods on earth that I've ever found. God, I love creamed spinach. Possibly the earth's perfect food. It takes me back to the days when people ate their spinach and loved it."

Now, you hate creamed spinach. You loathed garden-picked spinach as a kid, but because it was the only thing your family could afford, you ate it anyway. And you CERTAINLY didn't have a time in your childhood where spinach was king.

Now, you can (A) ignore it, because everybody's got a right to an opinion, or (B) you can fail your Will save, post anyway, and remind them that not everybody loved creamed or regular spinach that way. Even though they never asked you what you thought, and even though the first poster said, "what's good about spnach? Can someone give me some benefits?"

And I do thank every poster so far who has not been insulting in any of these threads, and especially to those contributing personal experiences positive and negative. Now, if Books-a-million would get off their BUTTS, and send me my C&C player's guide like I ordered two weeks ago, then I could CONTRIBUTE myself... :)

Django

First Post
On the strength of the reviews and positive comments right here in ENWorld, I bought C&C and gave it the old college try. After spending the money, prepping the adventure, and running it over two successive weekends, I ended up feeling that I had been misled by those overly positive reviews.

I, too, admit to having felt that 3.x is a bit much at times and was hoping that C&C would solve my issues. But after playing C&C I find myself re-evaluating my thoughts on 3.5. I now feel that my issues weren't really that big a deal. I -didn't- save that much time in C&C. It -wasn't- the game that would end up replacing 3.x.

The adventure planning stage was about the same length. The main time sink for me has always been plotting rather than statting. I'm comfortable enough with the 3.x rules that I don't get bogged down with stat blocks.

The combats took about as long - instead of using the 3.5 tactical rules, I ended up having to make up rules on the spot. That didn't save me any time at all. My players demand more that just a back and forth series of 'to hit' rolls. They love their tactics so I was constantly adjudicating special tactical situations.

Ultimately, I am glad I tried C&C. It is definitely worth a look. It will please some more than others, of course. But when I (and my group) compared to the other games we enjoy, we found it sorely lacking.

Breakdaddy

First Post
GMSkarka said:
...it might have something to do with the fact that almost all of the C&C threads seem to originate with one person.....

;)

So its fun to gang up on one person because he is easier to bully? Nice.

JoeGKushner

First Post
MrFilthyIke said:
I like 3.5 and am not threatened by C&C. I'd pick it up (after the 2nd print run). People just like arguing. Edition wars are fun to some people. You know the saying about opinions and a#$ holes, everyone's got one. :)

That's about where I stand as well.

I think C&C might be fun to run less... mechancially intense games.

Mythmere1 said:
Almost every C&C thread posted so far has devolved into an edition war, as 3.x players dive in to say how much they would hate playing C&C and how wonderful 3.x is. It's a little irritating, since it becomes almost impossible for the C&C players to discuss the game or even describe it to the curious.

Why are the 3.x players so threatened by C&C?

Some of us aren't. At least from my PoV, I'm the only person in my gaming groups (there's 2 of them) who knows of it, and I would much rather run D20 Modern or play 3e. No other potential DMs knowing of the product = I'll never have to go through it.

I've never seen GURPS attacked so fiercely, or Hackmaster, and these are both FRPGs, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I know nothing of Hackmaster, but GURPS isn't D20.

I think the issue arises because a lot of DnD players do see the game as too complicated, but see C&C as "reactionary". It goes too far in the other direction, sucking away feats, skill ranks and other things that make DnD characters special. It's also vague on a lot of rules, eg magic items. (If your game doesn't use magic items, just say it.) I really do not want to run a game where every NPC fighter is the same. I know it'll take me 20 times longer to stat up an NPC, and I know I hate doing up their magic items, but that's still better than a 2e-style "30 seconds approach" NPC - IMO.

Plus, bringing back some 2e elements, like differential XP tables, was just a bad idea. And I have to say, I didn't think anyone could make a monk worse than in 3e but C&C managed to do it. I've seen a lot of monk-types that failed (eg the Oathbound) but they're usually not worse.

Now of course I could just add feats back to the game, or something along those lines, but that's going to affect balance. Let's face it, many of us DMs love the CR system because we're not too good at balancing things - that's why people get ticked when they see unbalanced PrCs and monsters with horribly inaccurate CRs. (Remember it's the professionals writing this stuff... and they get a lot of it wrong.) Most of us are not DnD professionals, we're just gamers with a little extra responsibility. I don't want to add on the even greater responsibility of creating that many house rules.

The more skilled gamer can run a system without such crutches, but it's difficult to say "hey, I can run the game without these crutches, so why can't you?" without looking like you think you're better than everyone else. I get the same feeling when someone says they can successfully "run a low-combat deep game... nyah nyah, you suck 'cuz you can't do it too".

IMO the only really complex part of core DnD are treasure issues and excessive use of AoOs. The game only spirals out of control when you have three or four splatbooks being added to the game.

Ok, you can get some more flexibility (eg making sure everybody gets their moment in the sun, creating interesting NPCs, etc) but other that making stat blocks this isn't any different than in C&C.

Even C&C monsters get my goat, so to speak. Yes, they're simpler. I miss how in 2e I could throw together a monster in 3 minutes. Give it an appearance, HD, damage and special abilities, AC and toss it out. Of course, I hated running such a monster, and I hated fighting such a monster (if I were the player).

DnD has another serious problem - lack of flexibility, but I have not seen C&C do one iota to fix that. If you're going to make a "better" gaming system, you should try to fix that, too. Maybe DnD fans feel threatened because they think the game claims it's better. Even if the game isn't claiming it's better, when people proclaim "I'll never run 3e again 'cuz this is so much better" it can cause us to feel jealous. (Oddly enough, I rarely see D20 Modern getting this heat. I predict it will if D20 Past turns out to be any good and actually comes with a balanced FX system.)

Since splatbooks are "broad-brush" (eg they try to tackle many things) you usually end up with stuff you don't want ... frequently a lot of stuff. If the DM buys the splatbook, they frequently find themselves being besieged by vocal players who want to use this or that which the DM didn't want to use (he only wanted three feats, poor guy) but they feel they have to allow it to be nice to the players. Confusion abounds, the game gets more complicated, the DM spend even more time trying to maintain game balance and spotlight balance than on creating an interesting plot and NPCs, etc... It's worse when a player buys the book, since now the DM hs to find a way to "validate their purchase" without tossing out 90% of the material.

If WotC would put out more focused splatbooks, I think the "flexibility driving the game out of control" would be a much smaller problem. There would just be treasure, game inflexibility and AoOs to worry about. I could probably live with that.

Maybe I've been able to avoid a lot of of these threads (and make my Will saves) because I have an escape valve - D20 Modern. I'm not running DnD right now because it's too inflexible and focuses too much on items, and I might not run it again. D20 Modern doesn't have these problems ... but it still has feats, talents, skill ranks, and other things to make characters special and unique.

Last edited:

Almost every C&C thread posted so far has devolved into an edition war, as C&C players dive in to say how much they have hated playing 3.x and how wonderful C&C is. It's a little irritating, since it becomes almost impossible for the rational C&C players to discuss the game or even describe it to the curious.

Err... what? :D

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
The one thing I can say about C&C is that it is making me think long and hard about the types of games that I like to run.

It took me a while to get into 3e, but when I did, I found that there were a lot of things I really liked. At the same time, there's things I don't like as well, mainly involving combat. So when I run d20 games, I run them very rules-lite. I'm not going specifically by what the D&D PHB says on some things, such as all the skill DCs. I just come up with what I feel is a reasonable target number and have the players roll.

I see C&C as an alternative. There are going to be times I'll want to use D&D rules, whether it be for certain settings, certain adventures, or what have you. I may choose to do C&C for those same reasons, or even to just have a break and do something different. The idea that I can use C&C for my old 2e modules is quite apealing.

C&C isn't threatening so much as it is getting people to take notice. There is a market out there for rules-lite systems. No two people run games the same. There are different ways to achieve the same result.

I know that C&C has grabbed my attention. It has given me much to think about.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
blizack said:
I think that 3rd Edition D&D fans' "threatened" posture arises from the perception that C&C fans are calling their game inferior (and to be fair, some of them basically are saying that).
For my gaming style it is! But its not for everyone of course.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
MoogleEmpMog said:
M is needed. T will just bring more D&D mistakes into the game. ;)

I have not yet had a chance to sit down and read C&C, but I've glanced through it at the FLGS (where it is selling quite nicely from its prominent display, I might add), had several questions answered on these boards, and read multiple reviews.

I disagree that the CKG is not needed. What I've seen in the C&C PHB is not a complete game, even apart from the monsters. I find it very hard to believe that a new GM (er... CK) without a working knowledge of Dungeons and Dragons could run Castles and Crusades as it currently exists. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Now, the D&D 3.x PHB isn't a complete game, either - but I wager you could run a basic game using just that. The SilCore core book IS a complete game. Same with the GURPS and Storyteller core rules. For that matter, many OGL games (like Conan, OGL Steampunk/Cybernet/Ancients/etc.) and d20 Modern are true complete games.

Conan is a fifty dollar book that is probably twice as thick as the C&C PH or more. I don't think that is a valid comparison. However since TLG made the mistake of calling the C&C PH a complete game in its own right I understand why a lot of people are complaining about that. It is missing some serious rules, multiclassing, poison & disease, magic gear, etc. It's a great PH but its not a complete game unless you are going to seriously cramp your playingfield or make up a lot of stuff on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads