D&D General Can you still buy individual items from D&D Beyond?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
One of my favorite parts of D&D Beyond was the ability to buy a specific item (i.e. race, class, spell, magic item). I'm not seeing that ability any more.

Does that functionality still exist, or did they do away with it?

darjr

I crit!
I still see some, but you have to go into the book in the shop site ti see them.

Attachments

• IMG_8891.jpeg
    IMG_8891.jpeg
    635.5 KB · Views: 48

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It depends on the book. You can buy individual adventures from some anthologies, like Yawning Portal and Candlekeep, but not others like Golden Vault.

Book of Many Things is on sale now from D&D Beyond (not a pre-order), but it doesn't offer the ability to buy anything piecemeal.

I'm guessing someone at WotC decided that they could get enough people to buy the full book to off-set the lost piecemeal sales.

I hope this is an oversight on their part, because if it's a change in direction, it's a bad one.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It depends on the book. You can buy individual adventures from some anthologies, like Yawning Portal and Candlekeep, but not others like Golden Vault.

Book of Many Things is on sale now from D&D Beyond (not a pre-order), but it doesn't offer the ability to buy anything piecemeal.

I'm guessing someone at WotC decided that they could get enough people to buy the full book to off-set the lost piecemeal sales.

I hope this is an oversight on their part, because if it's a change in direction, it's a bad one.
Today is the first day it is available. I think the individual elements will show up for sale in the next few days.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Today is the first day it is available. I think the individual elements will show up for sale in the next few days.
Phandelver isn't available in component parts. (In contrast, you can buy the individual monsters and magic items from Storm King's Thunder, for instance.)

So, maybe, maybe not.

In any case, we have no choice but to wait, unless WotC wants to come out and say "so, remember how you were all worried about microtransactions last year? It turns out, absolutely not."

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ah. I had not noticed that. You might be right. Or maybe someone at D&D Beyond is dropping the ball. The releases have been in rapid succession of late. :unsure:
Yeah, it's also possible that they only have a few people (or one person) who does the work of adapting the books to DDB format and it's been too much for the pipeline to handle.

darjr

I crit!
It does seem a bit hit or miss. I bet they don’t stop doing these breakouts but now that I lion I also bet they don’t add it to the Book of Many things any time soon. Which I dint think is great.

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
Back when Adam was still in charge of DDB, he said in a dev update that-to their surprise-very few people bought a la carte items. I love the option, and was surprised at this tidbit as well. If this is still the case, It’s possible that WOTC has decided it’s not worth it to set up the individual items on new products.

Remove ads