• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you use improved trip with a whip?

MadScientist

First Post
MY gut answer is no, you can't use melee feats with a whip. On the other hand it seems weird that you can not use the Imp. Trip feat with a tripping weapon. The FAQ wasn't very enlightening in this case. Is their a concensus here?

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
MadScientist said:
MY gut answer is no, you can't use melee feats with a whip. On the other hand it seems weird that you can not use the Imp. Trip feat with a tripping weapon. The FAQ wasn't very enlightening in this case. Is their a concensus here?

Yes, you can trip with a whip, and Improved Trip with a whip. In 3.5 the whip is a melee weapon. A melee weapon with a reach of 15 that does not threaten any squares, and that provokes aoo's just as if you were using a ranged weapon.

-z

MadScientist

First Post
Okay the 3.5 whip makes sence and I'll probably use that as a HR for my 3.0 campaign. Just out of curiosity what would the 3.0 answer be? Also does the 3.5 whips still use DEX for the atk bonus?

Tharizdun

First Post
Re: Re: Can you use improved trip with a whip?

Zaruthustran said:

Yes, you can trip with a whip, and Improved Trip with a whip. In 3.5 the whip is a melee weapon. A melee weapon with a reach of 15 that does not threaten any squares, and that provokes aoo's just as if you were using a ranged weapon.

-z

Not only that, it gives you a +2 on a disarm attempt!

Remove ads