Trailer Captain Marvel Trailer #2

Guessing at the plot entirely from this trailer, Danvers dies in a plane crash. The Kree then find her and bring her back to life with an infusion of their blood, and give her super powers to fight in the Kree/Skrull war. The war takes her to a Earth where she meets Nick Fury and rediscovers her humanity and a forgotten life.

Which would explain how Nick Fury knows Kree blood can bring people back from the dead, as seen in season one of Agents of SHIELD.

For a canon junkie like myself, that is some fine continuity. Some damn fine continuity.

delericho

Legend
Looks good.

However, I feel my enjoyment of the film will be dependent on how often she smiles. I hadn't considered it until this thread, but now it means everything.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
aka "smile", as so many people are complaining about.

Except that, if someone stole your memories (and therefore your life) to make you into a soldier/tool to fight a war that wasn't yours, the only smiling you are likely will be that deathly, predatory smile as you beat them into a pulp for it.

I don't think those telling her she should smile would like her looking at them like that... at all.

Mercurius

Legend
Very excited for this one as I love "cosmic Marvel" (although not a huge fan of the campy GotG). Brie Larson is an excellent actress, but my one concern is that--as with Jennifer Lawrence--her full acting range might be greatly diminished in a comic book role. Lawrence is good as Mystique, but if you watch Silver Linings Playbook you realize that she is an excellent actress. Similar with Larson and, say, Room.

Stalker0

Legend
I rewatch the OG Captain Marvel recently, and I found something interesting.

Ultimately my original assessment of the movie was it was very middle of the road, solid enough, nothing too bad, nothing that great. One of my biggest critiques (shared by many on the internet) was that Captain Marvel had no personality, it was just a faceless blank slate.

On the rewatch, I did not CM has a lot more personality than I gave her credit for, at least for the first half of the movie. Snarky is probably the best word. She is snarky and playful with Mar'vel at the beginning, she banters with her military comrades in the first mission. She does a lot of buddy cop comedy with Fury when they team up.

though I think we still don't get enough backstory and insight into her character, I must admit there was more personality there than I noted on my first watch.

Remove ads