• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Caster Level"

Horishijin

First Post
A question on the term "caster level." I know that for most purposes (overcoming spell resistance, for example..) caster level is number of of levels the characters has in one particular spell casting style. For example, if the character is a sorcerer 2 / cleric 3, and casts magic missile, his caster level for the purpose of determining how many missiles he gets, or overcoming spell resistance is 2.

The question I have is for something like getting magic item crafting feats. In that instance, do the various character levels stack? For some limited purposes is this character treated as having a caster level of 5?

Lorgrom

First Post
Horishijin said:
A question on the term "caster level." I know that for most purposes (overcoming spell resistance, for example..) caster level is number of of levels the characters has in one particular spell casting style. For example, if the character is a sorcerer 2 / cleric 3, and casts magic missile, his caster level for the purpose of determining how many missiles he gets, or overcoming spell resistance is 2.

The question I have is for something like getting magic item crafting feats. In that instance, do the various character levels stack? For some limited purposes is this character treated as having a caster level of 5?

Yes

MichaelH

First Post
No, your caster levels are 2 and 3. If you need a caster level of 5 to take an item creation feat, then you don't qualify yet. One of your spellcaster classes needs to be caster level 5.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
MichaelH is correct. If you need caster level 5th+, then you need to have caster level 5th+ in one of your classes.

Bye
Thanee

MichaelH

First Post
For a quick reference, check the PHB, page 89, under Feat Name, Prerequisite, in the first column. It says the caster level prerequisite for feats is a "class level that a character must have in order to acquire this feat." So the OP's class levels are 2 and 3 and his character level is 5. In order to take the Craft Wand feat, for example, he would need 3 more sorcerer levels or 2 more cleric levels.

Horishijin

First Post
If I had 3 levels of sorcerer, and then took 3 levels of Paragon Human (which gives +2 existing caster level by the end of that cycle..) I am assuming that my caster level for all purposes, including item creation feats, would be 5?

glass

(he, him)
Vorput said:
I'm 95% sure MichaelH is right, but looking- I can't find the SRD quote to back that up...
You don't need one. For caster levels 2 and 3 to add up to five for any purpose, that would have to explicitly spelled out.

glass.

glass

(he, him)
Horishijin said:
If I had 3 levels of sorcerer, and then took 3 levels of Paragon Human (which gives +2 existing caster level by the end of that cycle..) I am assuming that my caster level for all purposes, including item creation feats, would be 5?
Yes. Because it specifically says that it adds to his existing class.

glass.

Remove ads