• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D) A Game of Trust

National Acrobat

First Post
"That would be just fine. A good night's rest is always welcome before setting off on an endeavor. Or adventure. Or, well, you know what I mean. This is my first time to the big city here. Are all of the large cities like this one, or are they all different?"

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
'Well, young Miss,' Niccolo begins,'I have travelled to several of the 'Big Cities', from Jentyll in the Southlands, where the Women travel veiled and the men wear their steel in loose scabbards lest you look overly long at said Women.I have been to Grombull in the North, where all live in Lodges the Winter through, and the Markets are indoor in said Cold Seasons, with all manner of living going on around them. I have been to Stethellari, the 'City of a Thousand Minarettes', where the towers and the brilliantly colored Pennants stretch to the Sky,a very testament to it's Thousand Gods...I have seen Elf Glades and Dwarf Holds, the Burrows of Halfling Towns and even an Orc Burg,but I have never,' Niccolo pauses, looking about at the dreery city that was his current haunt,'seen a city quite like this 'fair' place.' Niccolo barely conceals a smirk as he sips his tea.

Last edited:

National Acrobat

First Post
Obviously impressed with Niccolo's knowledge, Merrim listens in rapt attention as the other fabled cities of the known world are listed, with the small snippets about them added in. When Niccolo is finished, she sighs. "Wow, and I came here first. I should truly love to visit those other cities as well. I think that is why I left home, to see things like that. Tell me more about the city with the minarets, or thousand spires, or what not. Also, the place where the women wear veils. Why would they do such things?"

Guilt Puppy

First Post
(Sorry about the delay in posting, but I wanted to make sure you all had time to get some character-to-character communication going before I distracted you.)

The time passes slow and uneventful as you sit and become acquainted, chatting, scheming, or whatever the case may be. The room is quiet, almost like a funeral except for the occasional bellowed laugh from somewhere across the room, gone always before you can find for certain the source.

It is a tavern, and despite the stories it feels not much unlike any other tavern you have been in: Charming, in its own way, but hardly special. But as the mystique fades into the lamp-light, a tall, gaunt figure strides in: His face is wrinkled and his beard is ghost-white, but his soft blue eyes gleam with unknown youth. Each step is firm yet still graceful, and his shoulders seem to float weightlessly in the air. The points of light across the room dance brilliant across a shining suit of armor, the flames somehow brighter on his steel than on the wick itself. He gets his glances, and responds to each with a nod and a proud yet humble smile.

He arrives at the bar, and though the bartender seems unimpressed as always, he is still quick to meet him.

"Greetings, my good man." The stranger voice is practiced and deliberate, somehow showing kindness and respect and dignity and grace all in its very timbre. "I was hoping I might have a nice drink and perhaps a meal before settling in town for the night. If your kitchen is still open, it would be an honor to have your service in this storied place."

The bartender scowls, no more or less now than ever, yet seems to have no response. Seconds pass slowly, as you realize the place has fallen silent: Finally, the barkeep's face breaks into a hearty laugh.

"Yeah, kitchen's open. What do you want?"

Last edited:

dpdx

Explorer
(With any luck, Brewek won't just slap cleric's vestments on these fine folk and send THEM out to the bars... Lo, what's this?)

Fendric looks up from the fascinating tableside conversation to notice what to him looks like a Knight of the Realm, perhaps even a Paladin of some sort. After hearing him address the bartender with more eloquence than he's ever heard, he swallows, and calls out to the honorable man:

"Good sir? The rabbit's especially good here."

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Niccolo begins, 'Well, the women keep their veils on, because tis said they are the most fair women of all human lands...of course, I can't verify that, because nobody sees their faces and lives, lest he be their husband, and that only on their wedding night for the first time...' Niccoclo grins, and then turns to watch the newcomer. Something quite Eloquent about that one, he thinks.Something right Noble.

wings

First Post
Nobility, eh?

Well, sure, this newcomer was eloquent, but it wasn't something Aerda hasn't seen before, as he has seen many nobles, and even a few elven courts in his time. He pays special attention to not giving the newcomer any special attention. He watches the bar infront of him, picking up his pen once again...

Guilt Puppy

First Post
dpdx said:
"Good sir? The rabbit's especially good here."

The old knight looks to Fendric and smiles.

"In that case, I should like to have a haunch of rabbit, per the young Brother's commendation."

The barkeep nods. "Will have it for you soon as it's ready."

The stranger offers his thanks, then wanders to the seat on the bar closest to Fendric and his table.

"If you'll pardon my intrusion, I could not help but notice the Sun that Shines upon your chest. Might I inquire, then, where the nearest shrine or temple of your patron might be found, that I should pay proper homage to His healing light?"

There is a Temple in town, near the North gate, where the slums have begun to encroach beyond the city walls. It is good for the Temple -- the poorest are also the most devoted, and many small, handmade shrines can be found dotted across the outer "residences" -- but it may not be by some standards presentable.

(BTW, anyone who has the ability, make Bardic Knowledge, Knowledge: Nobility, or Knowledge: Folklore checks with your next post. They are not immediately relevant, but I want to have them on hand.)

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OoC:Bardic Knowledge roll 19+4=23)

Niccolo moves a bit closer, so as to hear this old Knights Tale. Perhaps there is something worthy of putting to Pen & Paper (he retrieves his writing stylus and some paper.

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric wastes no time with his response:

"Our Temple is near the North gate, Sir, but if I may be so bold, I was headed there myself in a short while to gather my things. I'd appreciate the company if you'd care to walk with me..."

Fendric looks the knight over: (Perhaps he's injured... Sense Motive Check: 11) If the knight appears injured, Fendric will offer to heal him (CMW or CLW, depending on the need).

"In the meantime, would you care to join us here at the table?"

Remove ads