Catwoman Movie (threads merged)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
So, you guys may not realize it, but our own John Rogers (JonRog1, writer of The Core and Jackie Chan Adventures and some damn cool story hours) wrote an earlier treatment of the script. I believe they thanked him, paid him, and then changed it beyond recognition by giving it to the guys who wrote T3. :p

He'd have to tell us the details, though, and I'm not sure he can. Let's just say that I trust his judgment and comic-book sense more than I do that of a director who previously has only done visual effects.

John, any comments?

Green Knight

First Post
As for the Flash buzz, WB wanted to make a time-travelling show, where the hero goes back in time to set wrongs right. Then someone with a pea for a brain suggested they did a "Smallville" approach with the Flash. He's a young Gothamite (!!!!) who can run so fast, he can travel through time (!!!!), has a mentor that teaches him on the history of the Flashes and has the motto "run fast so others don't die young". And he never wears a costume.

Ah, I see. They already had an idea that they wanted to do, but rather than letting it rise or fall under its own steam, they want to milk off the name of a pre-established character. Right.

Anyone remember that story of when some people approached WoTC to do a cartoon based on Magic: The Gathering? The pitch was that the lead character would be some pizza-eating, soda swilling teen kid from our world who's naturally capable of wielding magic, who'd be teamed up with a Barbarian who, get this, doesn't like magic!

Point is, it was NOTHING like the world presented in Magic: The Gathering. So WoTC turned them down.

As it turned down, that same pitch was tossed off at Disney previously, and Disney also turned them down. They had this show idea LONG before and all they wanted to do was attach the Magic: The Gathering name to it to drawn in fans of the property, even though the show itself would've had absolutely NOTHING to do with it. I absolutely HATE it when they do that. How about just sticking to your own idea, rather than trying to milk off some other idea? :mad:

Sirius_Black

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Perhaps, but that's because Ashley Judd have yet to do a nude scene.

At least we should be grateful it is not her sister, Wynona. :p

Actually Ashley Judd has done more than one nude scene. Even with that fact, she still would look better in the leather than Halle. If the story is what it appears to be in the postings here, I predict a Hulk like box office. Huge opening weekend followed by the 60% or more drop off the next weekend. Of course the studio will buzz up the opening weekend, ignore the huge drop, and greenlight a sequel faster than the Flash with an even dumber plot than the one being revealed here.

Klaus said:
As for the Flash buzz, WB wanted to make a time-travelling show, where the hero goes back in time to set wrongs right. Then someone with a pea for a brain suggested they did a "Smallville" approach with the Flash. He's a young Gothamite (!!!!) who can run so fast, he can travel through time (!!!!), has a mentor that teaches him on the history of the Flashes and has the motto "run fast so others don't die young". And he never wears a costume.
Sounds like the same premise of that Tru Calling show with Eliza Dushku coming out this fall*. And from the advance reviews of Tru Calling, that's not the show you want to be ripping off.

*not to mention Quantum Leap.

Endur

First Post
Selina's Big Score was pretty good, but the best Catwoman was the four issues series written by Mindy Newell in the 1980's. It was Catwoman's origin story and it was very good, much better than the later series that followed it and based on Batman's Year One series from Frank Miller from the year before. Only problem was that it was too mature for DC's editorial board, and the DC editorial board edited/censored the final issue.

My personal feeling is that Halle Barry could be an effective Catwoman. However, she can't be Selina Kyle. She needs a different name. And the plot sounds terrible.

Klaus said:
The best Catwoman so far was done by Darwyn Cooke, in "Selina's Big Score". If they wanted to do a Catwoman movie, they should have gone that way (basically, it's Ocean's Eleven led by a woman).

Now I know why Ashley Judd jumped ship...

Sounds like Birds of Prey didn't teach these guys a thing...

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Piratecat said:
So, you guys may not realize it, but our own John Rogers (JonRog1, writer of The Core and Jackie Chan Adventures and some damn cool story hours) wrote an earlier treatment of the script. I believe they thanked him, paid him, and then changed it beyond recognition by giving it to the guys who wrote T3. :p
From what I understand, and Jonrog can school me if I'm wrong, scripts go through a lot of rewrites and script-writers before they're finalized. It's nothing unusual.

And I liked T3!

He'd have to tell us the details, though, and I'm not sure he can. Let's just say that I trust his judgment and comic-book sense more than I do that of a director who previously has only done visual effects.
Probably not, but then Jonrog's script may have been completely thrown out anyway. Joss Whedon did a version of X-Men, and they only used two or three lines from his treatment, from what I recall.

Remove ads