CB's Grim Frequencies AP OOC -- COMPLETE

gribble

Explorer
Solid point. J.R. is on the run either way, can't do anything against an armed threat while blinded haha.

That's alright, T-Dawg's got this one. Not sure if the story will be retconned to allow the original tackle (seeing as T-Dawg probably didn't provoke an AoO, and even if he did he easily made his save - bad idea to pick on a brick with a Fort. save based attack - so should have been able to complete the tackle), but even if it isn't he'll hopefully get Buzzcut on a second attempt - likely just a punch in the face this time, seeing as he now has a gun.

gribble

Explorer
Hmmm... curious. Apparently there is no "Improved Grapple" or similar in d20 Modern that I could find which negates the initial AoO for starting a grapple...

Hmmm... curious. Apparently there is no "Improved Grapple" or similar in d20 Modern that I could find which negates the initial AoO for starting a grapple...
Yeah, that was my thought, too. I hauled out the core rulebook this afternoon and had a good hard look in it for anything Improved Grapple that would negate the AoO for initiating a grapple. I also had a good hard look at T-dawg's character sheet in the RG. I just don't see anything in either resource that leads me to believe that T-dawg doesn't incur the AoO when he tries to grapple Buzz Cut. That's when I decided to prompt you in the IC, to see if maybe you knew something about your PC that I was missing.

If you find anything, let me know. We'll play on in the meantime.

Forged Fury

First Post
I think the main thing is that Buzz Cut can't make an AoO unless he has an ability that makes his unarmed attacks count as being armed, which he very well may.

A character can use a melee weapon to make attacks of opportunity whenever the conditions for such an attack are met (see Provoking an Attack of Opportunity, below). In addition, a character can make attacks of opportunity with unarmed attacks if the character's unarmed attacks count as armed (see "Armed" Unarmed Attacks).

To get really into the rules lawyer weeds, the grapple rules do specify that the AoO has to deal damage in order to prevent the grapple from being initiated. Inflicting a status condition isn't inflicting actual damage, so the grapple could still be attempted (although blinding makes it much harder to actually land the touch attack).

Last edited:

Forged Fury for teh Ninja Strike.

I read the IC. And then re-read the d20 Modern Attack of Opportunity section. No clue how I failed to recall that an AoO must be made with a melee weapon. And I quote, "An attack of opportunity is a single melee attack." The pepper spray is a ranged weapon that uses ranged touch (I'm using pepper spray stats from the module). Buzz Cut cannot, therefore, make an AoO with the pepper spray. He has no feat, skill, or special ability that would permit him to do so.

Long and short of it, T-dawg's grapple should go as planned unless his roll fails. I will ret-con the IC sometime tomorrow, probably in the late evening. Thanks for your patience, and my apology for the error.

gribble

Explorer
Long and short of it, T-dawg's grapple should go as planned unless his roll fails.
Ok, cool. I've posted the rolls in the IC thread in an OOC block - they don't look too promising, so perhaps you won't have to change too much! :)
At least Buzz Cut now has an angry T-dawg in his face though, which will make walking away a lot harder.

[MENTION=12430]gribble[/MENTION], I've ret-conned the IC post. Outcome: Buzz Cut has Combat Martial Arts as a feat, so I gave him a punch using his off hand as an AoO on T-dawg when T-dawg initiated the grapple. Buzz Cut missed his AoO. I used your unarmed melee touch attack 10 roll to adjudicate whether T-dawg initiated the grapple. T-dawg missed.

So that leaves us with:
1) J.R. blinded by pepper spray;
2) Buzz Cut missed his AoO and T-dawg failed to initiate the grapple;
3) T-dawg is in a five-foot square at the end of Aisle 5 somewhere adjacent to Buzz Cut; and
4) Buzz Cut drew a handgun and has it pointed at T-dawg.​

Please post T-dawg's reaction to this series of events.

Remove ads