Champions Presents: Legion Extreme! [Hero 5thEd]-11/04 post extended 11/12!

Crimson King

First Post
Black Omega said:

Thanks! Though my storyhour isn't lost in the ether, I just had to fix the link. I just added an update tonight. What a Rokugan storyhour could have to do with FrED is beyond me, though.:)

I think what Broccli_Head is referring to is an old Champions thread entitled 'Vendetta' - which goes back about a year ago, I think.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
issue#1, part II

Two days ago....

Brinkman had been un-cooperative. Jae Son had regretted his decision to have Anaka break the office manager's desk in half. He sipped tea and examined the data that Detective Gionetti had sent him. The fragments had been made of titanium-alloyed steel along with some other type of unknown alloy. Not very many villains had access to advanced materials technology. Jae Son furrowed his brow. Why would Mechanon or the Warlord, two master villains who had exotic alloys at their command attack an armored van with computer parts? Problem was there were way to many, scary answers to that question all of which ended with the conclusion “Take over or destroy the World.”

I wish we knew what company and what kind of parts.

His mobile phone rang and Jae Son frowned as the caller ID indicated the person calling.

"Jason, this is Leo. Not a good idea what ya did at Brinkmann this morning. The feds are ons ta ya. They've asked us to close the investigation. Watch your back, brotha."

"Thank you, Detective Gionetti. I owe you one."

"Fahget about it! Just buy me dinner in the North End some time.”

“As long as it’s not your cousin’s place, Leo," Jae son laughed recalling the crazy Gionetti’s.

He thanked Leo, who was guffawing on the other side and hung up the phone. Not a second later he got another call.

"Mr. Lee, Please come quickly. They are making a mess of your office."

It was his secretary. Her family had been serving him for generations.

"Stay calm, Vivian. I am on my way."

He made two calls: one to Anaka to meet him at his offices, and a page to Slipstream.

By the time he arrived, "They" had left, and "they" had thoroughly made a mess of his files and office.

Sobbing, Miss Vivian Wu explained, "They said that they were from the FBI, Mr. Lee. I don't think they found what they were looking for. They were more upset when they left."

Jae Son handed her a handkerchief. Shortly, Anaka arrived. He had clearly been in a hurry, since he came sleeveless.

"Jae Son, I was teaching a class, but I dismissed them early and came right over."

Concern on his face, Jason replied, "Did anyone see you or those?"

Anaka looked at the several dragon tattoos that criss-crossed his arms, chest and back. Jae Son threw him an extra shirt as the martial arts instructor shrugged an I don't know.

His mobile rang yet again. On the caller ID, the words "Unknown" flashed on and off. Jae Son ignored the call, but "Unknown" called again. Sighing, the detective answered.

"Mr. Lee, please cease your investigation of the armored van incident," came a monotone voice.

Lee smiled, "Our inquires are our own business, Mr. Federal Agent."

"Mr. Lee, we know who you are and we know where you work and live. We also know that you have a secretary who is very close to you."

Jae Son tightened his mouth, breathed to regain his composure and replied, "Sir, there is no need to be rude, but if you must threaten and you sink to threatening someone that cannot protect herself, then I will stop."

He hung up without a return answer, resisting the urge to crush the phone.

"Vivian, you and your family take the rest of the week off. I will clean the mess."

She nodded began to collect her things when Slipstream arrived.

"Sorry, bra's. I was having lunch with--"

Jae Son put his index finger to his lips to indicate that Slipstream hold his tongue.

Do I have to act as a big brother to every one? The youth of today are so impetuous.

He updated the speedy hero who just shook his head looking at the wreckage the feds had caused.

"That's wrong man, just plain wrong. I'm gonna take care of this right now."

Before Jae Son or Anaka could protest, Slipstream was off in a flash headed towards FBI headquarters.

Slipstream streaked across the gallery at City Hall Plaza to the crescent-shaped building, One Center Plaza, that housed the FBI Field Office in Boston.

"Tell the Man that we're tired of him trying to push the little guy around," Slipstream told to a befuddled security guard.

The guard stammered an incoherent response and looked questioningly at the superhero.

With a hint of frustration in his voice, Slipstream said, "Call the FBI guys. They are harassing my friend. I wanna to talk to them."

“And you are…?”

“I am Slipstream!”

The guard nodded with a scared-of-possible-psycho look and dialed his desk phone. Then he turned away from Slipstream and spoke quietly into it. He smiled at the superhero and made small talk. Slipstream didn't catch on until he heard the high-pitched wine of what sounded to him like a small jet engine. A shadow passed over him and he heard a metallic "THUNK!" coming from outside.

"SUPERHERO SLIPSTREAM. PLEASE EXIT THE BUILDING," came a booming voice.

"Aww, man. That wasn't cool," he said to the guard who was already backing slowly away from his desk and trying to get away.

Slipstream zipped outside to confront a 10-foot tall, metallic gray battlesuit armed to the teeth. A crowd had gathered.

"PLEASE LEAVE THE PREMISES AND DO NOT CAUSE ANY TROUBLE," said the armored "monstrosity".

"Wassup, Big-scary-armor Dude. I know that I'm the superhero, so like, does that make you the super-villain?"

"I AM NO VILLIAN, SLIPSTREAM. I AM STALWART. I WISH YOU NO HARM, BUT DO NOT CAUSE ANY TROUBLE OR I WILL BE FORCED TO ACT."

"OK, Darth Vader."

There was no reaction from Stalwart, but Slipstream thought he heard a few of the by-standers snickering.

"You tell your boss to leave Jason alone!"

"YOU ARE NOT IN A POSTION TO MAKE DEMANDS, SLIPSTREAM. LEAVE."

Stalwart trained his guns on Slipstream, painting him with laser-sightings. The speedster, looking at the multitude of innocents standing around and some starting to duck for cover, decided to not risk a fight.

"Alright, Darth. You've won this time,” he said, shaking his fist for appearances and trying to play off his frustration.

Slipstream bolted away in a blur, feeling Stalwart's metallic eyes watching him as he left the plaza.

Yesterday...

"That's right little dudes and dudettes, buy Quicksilver surfing gear for all your surfing needs!" announced Slipstream to a crowd of Bostonians in front of Faneuil Hall.

Slipstream smiled for the vid-cams and still-shot cameras holding a surfboard. He was wrapping up a public appearance that he had almost been late to. His grandmother had had a bad morning forcing him to take a little extra time. Fortunately, speed was his forte, so he arrived on schedule to the nanosecond, to the relief of his publicist and Quicksilver representatives. They were passing out t-shirts and koozies to the crowd when he received a page.

"Aww, grandma," he said to himself and with a touch of concern, as he reached down to look at the page.

"What was that?" asked one of his fans, thinking she was being addressed, as she approached him for an autograph.

It wasn't his grandmother, however. Jae Son Lee's number appeared on the screen followed by the letters "F.B.I...."

He saw some of the crowd pointing to the sky towards the south.

"Dang!" muttered Slipstream as he looked up.

Stalwart was bearing down on him and his fans.

Meanwhile in Chinatown...

...Jae Son Lee's usual routine had been interrupted. Across from him sat a federal agent who had introduced himself as Agent Smith. He had not removed his sunglasses.

"Mr. Lee, we would like you to hand over all the information that you have gathered on the Brinkmann van incident and we would then like you to come with us to our offices."

Jae Son looked around at the worried faces of the employees and patrons of the Emperor's Garden. Mr. Ho, the owner was still protesting to other federal agents--these had body armor and blaster rifles. Somewhere in the restaurant, Jae Son knew that Anaka was sitting, watching as they had planned. He thanked his ancestors for his uncanny intuition. Somehow, he knew that the feds, not finding what they were looking for in his offices would come looking for him. The case was still a mystery to him as well, and something important eluded him.

"Mr. Lee?"

Jae Son responded turning his palms upwards and raising an eyebrow.

"Will you be co-operative or not?"

Last edited:

frog

Explorer
Mmmm...Return of the Destroyer. Sounds a lot like my favorite module "Day of the Destroyer"

Hey Broc...how do you like Hero 5th? Is it worth my splurging the $40 on?

Broccli_Head

Explorer
frog said:
Hey Broc...how do you like Hero 5th? Is it worth my splurging the $40 on?

If you like crunchy goodness, HERO is THE book! It's like a textbook and I have learned you can create any effect with the rules set.

I realized what an amazing game system it is when I saw X2. I was able to think very quickly how to create all the X-Mens' superpowers. When I saw Matrix Reloaded I saw that I could reproduce the martial art's effects with HERO.

It clarifies a lot of the ambiguity from 4th Ed, and has sooooo much support it's unbelivable.

$40 is 4 or 5 movies at regular price...that's 10 hrs of enjoyment. In two to three game sessions you make up the price IMHO.

:)

Thanks for the vibe!

B.H.

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
issue#1, part III

"GOOD CITIZENS. TODAY SLIPSTREAM AND STALWART WILL BRING TO YOU A DEMONSTRATION OF SUPERPOWERS HERE IN THE HEART OF BOSTON."

Slipstream looked for Bob, his publicist. The man was jumping off the stage. Clearly, this was not a planned event. He heard a "pop" and sped from the Quicksilver platform. Something exploded leaving behind strands of sticky resin on the stage.

"Missed me, Darth!" Slipstream called out and let loose with a blast of stored kinetic energy from his hands. Sparks flew across the surface of Stalwart's battle suit. The people "oohed" and "aahhed". However, the FBI's hostage and rescue hero seemed unaffected. A circle on Stalwart's chest began to strobe and then it emitted a flash of blinding light. Slipstream saw white spots and that was about all.

He heard his fans yelling and screaming, "I'm blind" or "I can't see" around him.

"Darth, you hurt da peoples!" cried Slipstream as he bobbed and weaved blindly towards where he thought the stage was located really trying to avoid the wailing innocents.

Another grenade exploded nearby and he heard the sound of those entangling strands he had seen earlier. Some of the innocent by-standers cried out, caught in the “webs”.

"SURRENDER NOW, SLIPSTREAM. I HAVE YOU IN MY SIGHTS!"

"You may have me in your sights, Darth, but now I am the master, cuz I can hear you!"

Slipstream snapped his fingers and pushed the sound towards the where he thought he heard Stalwart's voice and engines. A sonic boom rocked across Quincy Market shattering some windows. Slipstream winced, but was rewarded with a yell of pain and the sound of explosions as the sound-wave also destroyed Stalwart's radio and parabolic hearing devices, and most importantly penetrated his battle suit. Smoke issued from its back.

"Righteous, Dude. You beat him! He's smokin' and he's leavin'!" Slipstream heard someone in the crowd say.

Slipstream heard another grenade being fired, but there was no burst when it hit. It must have been a dud. As the spots started to lessen, Slipstream felt a tug at his side.

"Mr. Slipstream, the big gray robot left you a note."

Slipstream looked down to see a little girl handing him a flyer. She was also covered with sticky strands from the tangle grenade.

"Thanks, little dudette."

The note read: SORRY. I WAS ACTING UNDER ORDERS

"I guess ol' Stalwart's not so unrighteous after all."

He patted the girl on the head making her frown with embarrassment then he remembered the page from Jason. He'd track down Bob later.

"Step back, little dudette," cautioned the speedster, and as the child moved away, Slipstream took off in a flash.

“Please, Mr. Smith, do me the courtesy of not arresting me inside my restaurant and in front of my people.”

“I am not arresting you, Mr. Lee. We only want to talk to you. If you are co-operative that will be the end of our association. Will you come quietly or create a scene?”

“It appears that I have no choice.”

Jae Son rose and walked in front of Agent Smith, who smiled smugly and nodded to two armored FBI agents who watched the inside of the restaurant.

Mr. Ho bowed as Jae Son passed, “I am very sorry Mr. Lee. I am sure everything will be alright.”

“Yes Da-ting. All will be well. You know,” said Jae Son Lee with a broad smile, “this reminds me of a Chinese fire drill.”

While Agent Smith and the other two federal agents were trying to get the humor, the busboy and a server understood the cue from Jae Son. Plates flew and Agent Smith was soon covered in hot-and-sour soup, pan-fried noodles and Szechaun chicken. One of the other guards was sprawled on the floor having slipped in dirty water courtesy of the busboy, and the third was yelling for Jae Son to stop as the detective ran for the kitchen.

“Stop him! He’s going out the back!” added Agent Smith wiping noodles from his suit.

Jae Son ran into the meat locker and let the Warwolf come. Anaka slipped into the kitchen before the federal agents. As the Warwolf left through the back door, kitchen workers were clamoring and shouting and generally delaying the FBI. One armored agent got through only to find Anaka waiting there. The martial artist knocked him into shelves filled with pot and pans with a wave of his Ch’i power. Agent Smith arrived soon after and leveled a 9mm pistol at Anaka.

“Your agents are prone to slipping today,” said Anaka crossing his arms, but sizing up the FBI agent just in case he had to let loose another mystical martial arts attack.

The dragon tattoos writhed on his arms, having a disconcerting effect on Agent Smith.

He gulped and spoke slowly while still pointing his Glock, “OK. Keep your hands where I can see them and come with me outside. I don’t want any more trouble.”

Anaka, seeing that Jae Son had left the building raised his hands and went quietly, the agents falling in behind him.

The Warwolf had leaped onto the roof of the building, startling a blaster rifle-wielding agent. The agent panicked and fired missing Warwolf entirely. The blast echoed to the streets and into the restaurant. The beast growled but decided not to engage and began bounding from rooftop to rooftop further into Chinatown.

Down in the front of the Emperor’s Garden, Agent Smith was yelling into the radio.

“I said no shooting! This had gotten out of hand….”

Just then Slipstream zipped onto the scene. Agents were pointing at the “werewolf” jumping across the roof and Anaka was standing patiently waiting for the confused feds to decide what to do next.

“What’s goin’ on, officer dudes?”

“You lost him? How? Where’d he go?” they over heard Agent Smith through a hidden microphone somewhere on his person.

He had failed to hide his surprise in seeing Slipstream, but he ignored him for the moment while he issued terse orders. Anaka and Slipstream overheard a lot of back and forth radio chatter. Finally, he turned to Anaka and Slipstream letting out a sigh before speaking.

“Nothing….nothing. This is all just a misunderstanding,” he answered. “Alright, boys we’ll have to come back some other time.”

He opened the door to the blue sedan with tinted windows and government plates and turned to speak to Anaka.

“Tell your detective friend that we’ll be watching him and we still want to talk to him.”

“Did you see that look, Anakin? It’s a big Conspiracy, right? What happened here?” asked Slipstream as the FBI departed.

The martial arts instructor filled him in after correcting him about his name.

“That’s messed up. Why is the Man messin’ with us?” When Anaka offered no reply, Slipstream cursed in frustration and added, “That’s it. I’ll meet up with ya later. I need ta catch some tasty waves and relax or my head’s gonna explode!”

Anaka gave him a puzzled look and watched as Slipstream bolted away. Then he began to walk to Dr. James Lu’s, his and Jae Son’s pre-determined rendezvous point.

Slipstream made it to San Diego in less than a half-hour and hit the surf in less time than that.

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
issue#1, part IV

Since the boards have been down, it's time to get them reved up again with a post

Father Thomas O’Reily “tsked” as he watched the six o’clock news. He winced as he saw footage of Stalwart and Slipsteam duking it out in front of Fanueil Hall. He became angry when glass rained down upon the Market and some of the good people of Boston.

“Irresponsible fools! I need ta give these two a piece of my mind,” he spoke out loud. It was a habit that drove some of his parishioners crazy sometime. “Hmmm…who would know about this kinda thing?”

Father O’Reily rubbed his goatee and then snapped his fingers as the memory came to him. He walked briskly down to Harvard Square and took the train downtown and then over to Chinatown.

“Brian Paarka, where have ya been?” called Grandma Shannon as Brian stepped in from outside. “A’ve been worried sick, young man,” she continued as he made his way to the kitchen.

Surfing and hyper-speed travel made him very hungry and he could smell Grandma Shannon’s famous Chicken-and-dumplings. He was a little late, but it had been well worth watching the sun set on the beach. Soon he was relaxed and full as he and his grandmother ate dinner together. It had been their routine since he had moved from California. Brian couldn’t help but love Grandma’s stories of Boston: ghouls in the tunnels beneath the T, the great molasses flood, and werewolves in Chinatown. Brian had to suppress a chuckle for that one. After Grandma Shannon went to bed, Brian checked his messages and saw that it was time to don on his Slipstream persona and meet his new friends at Dr. Lu’s Herbs and Flowers.

When he arrived, a clergyman began blasting him before Jae Son, Anaka or Dr. Lu could warn the superhero.

“How dare ya come into me city and wreck havoc!”

Slipstream raised his hand to speak, but the priest interrupted.

“I don’ wanna hear it. If ye’re gonna cause destruction and mayhem, you might as well leave me town.”

After the first two sentences, Slipstream tuned him out and looked to Jae Son and the rest. They just shrugged their shoulders and waited for the tirade to end. Jae Son looked at his watch and after two minutes, about the time Father O. started all over again, the detective interrupted.

“Slipstream meet Father Thomas O’Reilly.”

As the two glared at each other Jae Son continued, “Father, I appreciate your concern for our fair city, but there are graver matters at stake. The FBI is trying to cover up something important and we have to get to the bottom of it. I fear that if we do not, worse things may happen to Boston than broken glass and superhero posturing.”

A map of the Boston area was laid on the table and after a brief discussion, a decision was made to investigate several advanced technology plants in the Burlington area, north of Boston. Clearly the armored vehicle had been heading in that direction. Three corporations stood out: Cyberdyne Systems, Sony Incorporated, and Unitron Inc. In the morning, they would start with Unitron, the southernmost facility, and work their way to the others if no leads presented themselves.

“If there are no other questions?” probed the detective. He paused, “Very good, then. Good night, gentlemen. We will see you tomorrow morning,”

Jae Son, Anaka, and Dr. Lu saw Slipstream and Father O’Reilly out the door.

The next morning, a man in dark gray robes wearing a dark gray mask joined Slipstream, Jae Son Lee and Anaka. The man answered the questioning looks.

“I am Grey Mage, Protector of Boston. Father O’Reilly told me there was a need and now I am here to see that you do not cause wanton destruction to my fair city, “ he pointed at Slipstream.

“Dude, you got the wrong guy. You need to go an’ talk to that Stalwart. He’s the bad guy an’ he started it anyway.”

Jae Son, arms crossed, tapped his foot impatiently, as the costumed “heroes” squared off.

“Gentlemen—and I say that with reservation--we are wasting time. Who knows what clues we will loose as time ticks away. Anaka, let us go.”

The martial artist nodded and both climbed into their rented black Lincoln Town Car. Gray Mage took to the skies and disappeared from view, while Slipstream ran in spurts alongside the vehicle. In a reasonable time they were soon at the gate to Unitron, Inc.

With a bit of courteous talk by Jae Son and the presence of Slipstream, the guard opened the gate to allow the visitors inside for a tour of the high-tech facility.

Just as Slipstream was about to shake the guard’s hand, they heard an explosion. Smoke exited from the back of a warehouse. Slipstream pointed and without waiting for the others, he sped over to investigate. Grey Mage soon followed in the air, turning visible to give him the protection of his arcane force field.

“Follow them Anaka, to make sure that they do not get into trouble.”

“And you?”

Jae Son smiled, “I would only get in the way and be a liability. I will wait here.”

However, as soon as Anaka left the car, called upon his ch’i, and sped towards the warehouse faster than a normal human, Jae Son took a deep breath, allowing the Warwolf to take control. Warwolf rolled from the car and leaped into the air, bounding to join his companions. He smelled plamsa, and growled. The guard stood dumbfounded, not answering the voice on the other end of the phone, having dropped the receiver.

Slipstream entered the smoking hole that had been blasted into the side of the building. Inside he saw five robots of varying body types carrying crates: two large, bulky metallic green ones, two thin metallic blue ones, and one medium-sized metallic red one. He sped past and punched the red robot, continuing past it and ending up behind a stack of crates. Un-phased, and not even moved from its position, the red robot shimmered and disappeared still carrying the crate it had held. The other four dropped what they were holding and moved towards the speedster. The blue robots floated into the air and blasted the lone hero with plasma waves. The pulses of energy tore through Slipstream’s defenses and his world went dark.

The rest of the superheroes arrived to see the four remaining robots closing to engage them. Mayhem ensued with energy blasts being exchanged on both sides. Gray Mage shot the ‘bots with magic lighting that issued from his outstretched fingers. Anakin, aka Dragonfist, with a mighty cry, redirected his inner power to fire his own blasts. Warwolf engaged the enemy as he knew best: fist and claw. The robots, their metallic voices echoing through the warehouse, communicated and modulated their energy blasts to the best effect, exploiting the heroes’ weaknesses. Gray Mage and Dragonfist reeled as the attacks penetrated their defenses, but remained standing. In the melee, the Warwolf was slammed into the corner of the building by a combination of energy attacks. Bouncing up, he goaded a green wardroid into charging him, sidestepping at the last second and helping the robot smash its metal head into a harder steel girder. The Warwolf howled in victory. The triumph was short-lived as a blue robot hit him with a powerful pulse of energy that seemed to ignore his natural resistance to damage and burn him terribly. Warwolf dove through the hole that the downed green wardroid had made and leaped onto the roof of the warehouse to buy some time to heal.

The robots concentrated on the remaining two foes. A combination of arcane energies from both east and west destroyed a second green wardroid, and somehow Dragonfist and Grey Mage withstood another round of blasts from the very quick blue robots. Both wondered what had happened to Slipstream.

Behind the crates, Slipstream had managed to climb to all fours and was attempting to shake the cobwebs from his head.

“Aww man! That hurt… bad robots…bad. Note to Dude: wait for the rest of your friends before fightin’ bad guys.”

He used the nearest stack of crates to prop himself up and recover from the blasts even more. Peeking from behind the pile, he saw his new friends in trouble. Slipstream sped back into the fray using his Quicksilver hand attack to rip into the two remaining robots as he ran past. Warwolf, seeing the return of the Slipstream jumped from the roof onto one of the blue robots, ramming it into the ground. Sparks flew and the blue robot did not rise. Warwolf, popped up in time to see the concentrated fire from his other three companions tear apart the last wardroid.

Battered and bruised, but not dead, the superheroes smiled at each other. Soon Unitron employees arrived to congratulate them. A short time later the police arrived with the FBI, and then finally, came the reporters. Slipstream strode forward to greet a new set of fans. Dragonfist and Grey Mage followed. Warwolf darted into the woods.

Jae Son Lee worked his way past the throngs of reporters and Unitron employees. Slipstream was describing the battle. Agent Smith of the FBI was claiming to have cooperated from the beginning with the heroes. Stalwart was posing for photographs with Dragon Fist and Grey Mage.

“Jason-dude, you missed the fight!”

The detective acknowledged Slipstream.

“That’s Jason. He’s like really smart and he led us here….”

The accolades to Jae Son Lee were drowned out with more questions about the battle. This suited Jae Son Lee fine as he slipped past the police lines, donned on gloves, and began searching through the pile of robot parts.

“Interesting…,” he muttered, and with forceps he removed some out of place material that had caught his well-trained eye putting it quickly in a plastic baggie.

[The End of Issue #1]

Last edited:

Remove ads