Champions Presents: Legion Extreme! [Hero 5thEd]-11/04 post extended 11/12!

Broccli_Head

Explorer
issue #8, part II

Cosmic Knight flew as fast as he could towards the Museum of Fine Arts. To him, clung the Warwolf, slowing him down but only enough for Theo to notice—and annoy—as he saw the aerial combatants ahead with his infrared sensors. At his maximum range, Cosmic Knight let fly his with his tangleweb. Bluejay, focusing on dodging Darkfire’s fireballs, could not avoid the attack and soon she was losing altitude, caught in Cosmic Knight’s web.

Then Cosmic Knight heard a voice.

Hey, you’re kinda cute. You know, we could go out one of these days, if you’d just do me a favor... Take out the dark-haired :mad:! She’s given’ my friend a hard time.

Strangely, that sounded like an excellent plan to Theo, but first, he had to get this pooch off his back. He did a twist and a loop and the Warwolf, uncharacteristically caught unawares, fell and smashed headfirst into a large golden-gilded lamppost. Theo flew buy and laughed as he saw the big wolf-man sprawled ignobly on the pavement. From up here it looked like he had doggy legs.

Cosmic Knight turned his attention towards Darkfire. The flying beauty dodged the trashed police car as it flew up towards her, thrown by the athletic woman in black on the grounds below. Cosmic Knight smiled even more broadly as he recognized her as Black Diamond…and she was on his side this evening!

He fired a tangleweb at Darkfire, catching her by surprise just as he had caught ‘ol Scooby. Like Bluejay before, she too became caught in Cosmic Knight’s sticky polymer and ceramic web. It was his unique formulation after all. Darkfire, unable to fly with both her hand restrained began to fall. However, Black Diamond kept her in the air. A wrought iron section of fence went slamming into Darkfire sending her further into the night sky.

Nice job, cutie! We make a great team! said the young woman’s voice in his head.

Cosmic Knight had the vision of hummingbirds pleasantly buzzing around in his mind. He flew towards the rotunda of the museum.

As Darkfire fell, Bluejay blasted free of her bonds and accelerated towards Darkfire ready to pummel her into unconsciousness with a full salvo of blaster fire. Darkfire saw the inevitable and snarled vowing revenge at both this blue-thing, the dark lady and Cosmic Knight…

Now would be a good time, sister. These bonds will not be able to hold me…

“Yes, yes! Hurry!” shouted Darkfire out loud in response to her Other Self.

Bluejay hesitated as briefly she saw Darkfire change into a large black unicorn with a nimbus of fire surrounding it. Then it disappeared. She did a loop and followed Cosmic Knight towards the dome.

The unicorn, invisible above both sets of flying armor, silently followed.

Slipstream had no other choice but to go toe-to-toe with the demonic being.

“OK, you Freddie Krueger wanna-be. Let’s see what you got!”

He sped at the Monster and whacked it a few times, but the creature merely laughed as the hero punched his wiry, withered body. Slipstream gave himself enough room to retreat, but the beast was soon tearing rubble aside to get at the speedster. Then it leaped at him as he fled over the debris to the far side. He ducked as the wicked claws swung past his head and tore gashes in the concrete wall as if it were paper.

Under the rubble, Armando Montoya aka Somnus attempted to crawl his way out. Hurting from the piles of stuff that lay on him, he still managed to pull away enough garbage to find an opening to see the combatants. Reaching into the mind of the Monster, Montoya was soon screaming in pain and wishing he hadn’t. The intense evil tore at his very soul. Blood poured from his nostrils and soon Montoya blacked out.

One would think that Dragonfist was the favorite “nephew” of Dr. James Lu. Whenever the doctor felt that Anaka would likely be in danger he gave him a little bit of Egg-Fu Magic to aid him. Tonight had been no exception. Before he had left on patrol, Dr. Lu had given him a Lucky Charm. Now as Dragonfist crouched in the rubble he could hear the Monster’s laughter and Slipstream’s whimpers of fear. He homed in on the sound and jumped through the rubble. He did not notice as the charm glowed a little and redirected him mere inches from his originally planned trajectory out from the pile of debris so that he hit the stressed material perfectly crashing through without problem. The charm continued to glow brighter as Dragonfist did a flip in the air and landed perfectly in front of the Monster, interposing himself between it and Slipstream. As if in slow motion, he watched as the demon attempted to claw him. The bloody nails sprayed droplets across his face, but they did not find purchase. Then Dragonfist double-fist punched the beast emphasizing the hit with a loud Kiah!. The Monster flew back over the pile of rubble and crashed through the opposite wall.

Again it rose. However, this time instead of rejoining the melee, it darted away with a mischievous chuckle.

“Bra’, we can’t let the Monster get away. Who knows how many Bostonians it will kill.”

Slipstream took off after the creature with Dragonfist running far behind. Already it was halfway across one of the runways headed towards Boston Bay.

“You ain’t gettin’ away, Big Ugly.”

Slipstream ran past and whacked at him, then stood before him. As the Monster closed he let loose with a sonic blast. The Monster howled in pain and covered its ears. Slipstream had caused enough of a delay for Dragonfist. The speedster heard a cry of Hakuden! and a ball of pure positive energy rolled across the air exploding when it hit the Monster. The creature dropped, and it less than a second, Slipstream was over it pounding it with more sonics. Dragonfist joined him and continued to pour his own ch’i energy blasts into the downed demon.

Finally Slipstream was able to pause enough to check in.

“I’m gettin’ no response, DF. I’m outtie. Take care of things, won’t ya?”

He took off in a flash heading across the bay towards the Museum of Fine Arts.

Dragonfist paused to call the Feds and then nearly jumped out of his gi when the Monster shuddered. He blasted it until it began to burn and soon the creature faded into a smelly black and greenish smoke, banished to what nether plane it came from. As it “departed” Dragonfist heard an evil chuckle and saw what he thought to be a red pentagram appear briefly and then fade along with the Monster. There was no naked man standing in front of it.

“Dang!... D.E.M.O.N!”

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
issue #8, part III

The power-armored superhero known as Cosmic Knight crashed through the rotunda of the Museum of Fine Arts. Behind him Bluejay followed. Below both of them, another battle was taking place.

A tall, attractive athletic woman with short, red hair and a large claymore fought against three opponents: an incredibly beautiful woman with long flowing blonde hair wearing a haughty look and a form fitting white leotard with the alchemical sign for “Air” emblazoned upon her chest, a woman made of water, and a man in red and black body armor wielding a flame-thrower

Blowtorch!, thought Cosmic Knight as he spied the man below.

Already the auburn-haired woman was faltering, and she staggered back as the woman made of water hit her with a blast of water. She was soon choking as liquid filled her lungs.

Before Bluejay could render aid, the blonde-haired woman looked up and spoke, “Perhaps you two should become better acquainted.”

Wind swirled around and engulfed Cosmic Knight and Bluejay, smashing them together briefly. Theo felt nothing from the impact, but he heard his temporary ally grunt. Then the two were flung to separate sides of the rotunda and pinned with incredible wind forces. Theo heard Blowtorch laugh crazily below him and shoot him with a spray of ignited napalm. He grimaced as the hot flames penetrated his armored suit.

The blonde declared, “Cat, you and your fellows are no match for the Elemental Evils!”

Helplessly Cosmic Knight watched as a blast of air knocked the red-haired warrior woman backwards and sucked the air from her lungs. She did not get up, and the blonde exited the room.

Then Black Diamond burst in and tossed something heavy at Blowtorch sending him crashing into the wall. Not to be outdone, he fired another stream of fire at his new adversary, humming as he burned. Smoke and flame was already beginning to lick at the walls of the museum. It did not help as Black Diamond dove out of the way and more of the building caught fire. The water woman shot yet drowning blast and Black Diamond soon vomited water and fell to her knees. She shook her head, trying to fight against the daze.

Oh, this is not good, Theo heard the Hummingbird in his head. Heather’s down, Diamond’s hurt.

“Fall back, Riptide, Blowtorch. Temblor has the Star. Let us depart!”

I don’t think things are going well for Rob either.

Theo couldn’t tell if the woman was speaking to him or not and he didn't know who Rob was. The water woman melted into a puddle and “washed” away. Blowtorch began to retreat as well but not without another flaming of the museum. Cosmic Knight and Bluejay fell to the marble floor of the rotunda.

“I’m going to check on one of my friends, Friend,” Bluejay told him recovering from the fall quickly.

She flew in the direction that the Elemental Evils had gone. The red-haired woman also rose and coughed and picked up her sword.

“So Knight, so you wish to go a few rounds, or will you let me leave?”

Cosmic Knight trained his guns on her and considered. He was still very confused as to who was the enemy. Then it occurred to him who this woman was, plus he was not altogether in his senses.

“Very well, as a favor for a mutual friend of ours, you may go.”

“Thanks, lad.”

She winked and then ran from the museum.

Bluejay returned carrying a man’s body.

“Cheshire’s hurt really bad. We have to get him out of here.”

Then she flew past him and away from scene.

Are you coming with us, hon’? asked the voice.

Cosmic Knight felt a pang of loss, and was about to depart as well when a huge black unicorn, wreathed in flames appeared. Black Diamond rose to face the new foe.

I AM NIGHTMARE! FEAR ME AND DESPAIR!, they heard bursting into their heads.

Black Diamond cowered and began to whimper. Cosmic Knight faced the creature and was startled for a moment, but then happy thoughts of his Hummingbird helped him to overcome his fear.

“Why?” he asked, grabbed Black Diamond and although she was surprisingly heavy, flew away.

Nightmare sought to follow but was soon outdistanced.

Slipstream saw the flames from the museum and did not hesitate. He zipped inside and began to grab all manner of smothering materials to put out the flames. Soon his actions, combined with the vacuum effect that his super-speed caused, doused the fire.

When he finished he found Darkfire flying and Warwolf boundingto the Museum.

“So dudes, what happened?”

Warwolf did not want to talk about it and soon left. Darkfire, on the other hand, gave Slipstream the most confusing story….

Cosmic Knight flew Black Diamond across the Charles River and soon the woman was struggling for him to let her go. Hummingbird prompted him with soothing telepathic messages, and he dropped the woman watching her depart towards Cambridge.

Fly over the river, my hero. ordered Hummingbird.

Cosmic Knight complied.

Sorry I have to do this to you. You’ve been a great help, and I still think you’re kind of cute. Maybe we’ll get to work together again, someday.

At first Cosmic Knight smiled dumbly as he heard her promises. Seconds later, he screamed as the pain receptors in his head began to fire all at once. He went unconscious and plunged into the river.

The next day…

Jae Sun Lee picked through the rubble of the high security room at the Museum of Fine Arts. Whoever had stolen the Star of Karnak had performed a near-perfect heist. The security systems had been shorted out or burned away. He suspected that the thieves had teleported in and then tunneled out. The detective kicked a rock on the pile, filled in behind the escapees, that they had used. He saw that there had been a vicious fight in the room as well. The remains of priceless art objects, intermingled with blood lay strewn about the room. From the almost incoherent story that Darkfire had told him, he deduced that there had been two teams vying for the Star. Legion Extreme had been caught in the crossfire and further had been divided by the “coincidental” appearance of the Monster at Logan Airport.

Furthermore, Cosmic Knight was missing and according to all indications had turned against his companions. Jae Sun sighed. This was going to be one bad week….

End Issue # 8

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Ouch. That didn't go so well for the Legion. Next, they'll probably have to deal with the media backlash too.

I had thought that Warwolf was a Multiform of Jae Sun.

honorwolf

First Post
Victim said:
Ouch. That didn't go so well for the Legion. Next, they'll probably have to deal with the media backlash too.

I had thought that Warwolf was a Multiform of Jae Sun.
He is Victim. I just was not present as a player, until much later. So I was left as Jae Sun Lee to investigate and look for clues. As my human form I am have so much more skills.

Victim

First Post
That flying ability, along with Jae Sun's other moves during the aerial battle, fooled me. Of course, I guess that was the point in game.

honorwolf

First Post
Victim said:
That flying ability, along with Jae Sun's other moves during the aerial battle, fooled me. Of course, I guess that was the point in game.
Thanks for the apt reply. Jae Sun Lee as a man and not as Warwolf has some powers but just enough to give people who underestimate him something to think about. He can sure give some people something to think about. He has his mystery. What can you expect from an Asian immortal. Also I do not revert to either form if knocked out. That would be detrimental. Jae Sun Lee is the Thinker and Warwolf is for WAR!!! I do enjoy playing them both though. I will post stats at some point. Thanks for the apt reply.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Legion Extreme Issue#9: The Star of Karnak, Part III

Jae Sun Lee did not know the half of it….

Enter the Crowns of Krim!

The well-dressed man wearing the most expensive and the latest aristocrat, casual winter fashion stepped from the stairs of the private linear jet onto the tarmac and sneered in the pre-dawn hour. Near his side, an armored knight in black enameled plate-mail appeared in a swirl of mist. The sun, as it peaked over the horizon, seemed to dim slightly as a shadow and three more arrogant looking men exited the plane behind the first one and the Black Knight. The first man spoke, his British accent taking a distinct sinister tone.

“Sir Giles, see what the local supers can muster against us. The bearer of the Shadow Crown will provide back up, though I doubt it will be necessary. Nestor, see if we can muster any allies in the colony. I will search for that idiot myself. Hopefully, he has not gotten into too much trouble.”

The knight bowed and vanished. A hideous, demonic-looking, bat-winged shadow flew after him. The man addressed as Nestor began to walk towards the waiting, empty Rolls Royce limousine. The other two, one with eyes of fire, a handlebar mustache, and long, silky shoulder-length hair and the other with glowing white eyes looked expectantly at their master.

He raised an eyebrow, “Unlike Temblor, please be discrete, and just do not go off killing everyone.” Then he chuckled, “Well, unless they really deserve it.”

He motioned towards baggage handlers as they finished loading the limo with luggage.

“Meet you at the Ritz-Carlton, of course.”

Then a horrible transformation took place as the trio leaped into the air. The long-haired man became a being enshrouded in fire. His eyes glowed even more malevolently and a Crown of Fire rested upon his brow. The man who had white eyes turned into a being of force. A glowing, multifaceted crown swirled around his head. The leader turned into what first appeared like an angel, but no one would ever mistake the twisted visage, grey, pasty skin, and black wings for one of heaven’s seraphs. Upon his head he wore an Iron Crown. No, this was evil incarnate upon the earth. This was Dark Seraph.

The handful of mortals on the ground cowered and tried to avert their eyes. Some screamed. Soon these cries were muffled and Phoenix and Force, their gristly task complete, turned their eyes towards Boston, following their master to wreak further havoc upon the city.

“…AND GET BACK THE STAR OF KARNAK!” yelled Mayor Tony Menshino, as the door slammed behind Slipstream, Cosmic Knight, Somnus, and Jae Sun Lee.

Their post-museum robbery debriefing had not gone well. There had been posturing and bickering, and finger-pointing, and even though the detective had smoothed things over when he arrived, the mayor had not been pleased. Still Meshino had signed off on the PRIMUS addition to the Harbor Tunnel Project, and for Jae Sun right now, that was a victory.

Legion Extreme met Agent Smith and Silver Avenger Mel Flannagan on the way out and informed them of the mayor’s disposition.

“As long as the S.U.B. project continues,” Mel spoke, “I honestly do not care how ornery Meshino is today. We’ll explain to him that the state department is doing all it can to aid in the recovery of the artifact, with your help.”

“Good thing you are all registered, right?” added Agent Smith.

Jae Sun suppressed a grimace. No one could read Somnus’s expression as he existed in public as glowing humanoid surrounded by a scintillating field of light. In the United States all those people exhibiting superpowers were required to register under the American Superhuman and Paranormal Registration Act. Technically, Jae Sun Lee did not have to register since he was normal. However, if word ever got out about his aerial exploits….Then again the law was generally toothless.

Somnus could have cared less.

With a beaming smile, Slipstream innocently responded, “Of course all of us are.”

They walked out into the bright sunlight avoiding the look down at the blinding snow. Fanuiel Hall glinted behind them.

frontend.jpg

“Guys, I can’t get this Hummingbird out of my head.”

Jae Sun raised an eyebrow, “Tell me again what happened, Cosmic Knight.”

“So this voice entered my head and was very persuasive. Then she left me,” Theo sighed inside of the suit of powered armor. It came out as a whiny hum.

“I ended up at the bottom of the Charles with an awful headache. Good thing my armor has an extended air supply.”

“You think you got problems, Dude?” interjected Slipstream.

He walked up to the a pool of knee deep water that had formed from the snow melt near the entrance to Boston City Hall and stuck his head in the ice-cold puddle.

“Have you lost your mind, Slipstream?” exclaimed Jae Sun pulling his head from the water.

“No really, I can breathe underwater. Brrrr…that was cold.”

He put his head back in the pool and held it there for a while.

“Aww, man! Slipstream has gills,” declared Cosmic Knight and he began to laugh.

Jae Sun closed his eyes tightly suddenly wishing to move back to San Francisco.

Thoughts like, Of all the self-absorbed, lunacy! Why do I have to keep baby-sitting for children! I wish they would work as a team! echoed in his mind.

Somnus broke his episode of frustration.

“Legion Extreme, I do not think we are alone.”

Jae Sun pulled Slipstream’s head out of the puddle and they looked around as large black crows had gathered in the snow in front of them. Eerily none squawked or made ruffling sounds with their wings although many opened and closed their beaks and flapped. Then they just stared.

“Too weird, man,” whispered Slipstream and he sped to grab a crow.

While the bird attempted to fly away, he caught it and it did not make a sound as it struggled to be free of his grasp. Suddenly the others flew away, south in the direction of Boston Common. As if they were ghosts, or illusory images they left without so much as a whoosh!.

“Hey this one has something attached,” Slipstream said as he held out the bird.

Cosmic Knight grabbed the note and opened it.

“I can’t read it. I think it’s in French.”

Jae Sun motioned for the note.

“Here, allow me.”

The Detective scanned the note. His eyes widened and then he chuckled.

“While this is medieval French, I do suspect, Cosmic Knight, that you have been challenged to a duel.”

He read the note to them in perfect French.

In unison, Somnus, Slipstream, and Cosmic Knight, already beginning to fidget, said, “In English, please!”

“Very well.” Jae Sun cleared his throat,

“To the Pretender Cosmic Knight, Lancelot:
If your knighthood be true, then meet me in battle in the Common of Boston at dusk. And if not, your knighthood is false and thou art Craven.
Giles de Morphant, Knight of the Crow”

Slipstream was the first to respond, “Not good ‘Extremer-dudes. That’s the Black Paladin. Man, how’d you piss him off?”

Inside his suit, Theo was perplexed.

“So, Cosmic Knight, are you going to show?” asked Jae Sun Lee rolling up the note and tucking it away in his coat pocket. “I dare say that it is very strange for the Knight of the Crow to just arrive as a coincidence, and this might be a good lead.”

Theo gulped and then took a deep breath.

“I will do it.”

Last edited:

honorwolf

First Post
:rolleyes: This is going to be interesting. Needless to say, these next few issues are as well... You are going to have to assess it for yourselves, true believers. Things are not good with Legion Extreme. Wait and see. But, really cool post there Broc. I really enjoyed reading that letter to the rest of the gang and babysitting. San Francisco does sound nice, especially since it is cold in Boston and getting icier yet. Brrhh!!! WELL, everybody hope you like the post. Stay tuned for the CHALLENGE'!!!!

Last edited:

Broccli_Head

Explorer
issue #9, part II

Boston Common…

Wind swirled, blowing flurries over the Common. The Black Paladin stood impassive, sword drawn and point down in the snow. The knight in black armor matched well the leafless trees that stood behind him, and his ermine-lined, blood red cape fluttered while silent crows watched from their perches in the empty branches.

To this scene, three members of Legion Extreme approached. Slipstream had slowed down to allow Cosmic Knight to catch up. Somnus flew some distance behind in reserve. Vivian, Dragonfist, and Jae Sun had gone to Widener Library to find informatin on the Star of Karnak. Darkfire patrolled high in the skies hoping to encounter Zephyr again.

He radioed in, “Jae Sun, we’re like here, but there’s no one else, man.”

Where in the devil was PRIMUS? thought the speedster looking around at the empty park.

Jae Sun replied to all three on their comms, “Black Paladin is a target of opportunity. If he is alone, take him out.”

The Knight of the Crow spotted them.

“I see Craven Knight, that thou hast brought companions. Is that thy trusty squire, or a maiden whose favor thou holdest?” he taunted pointing his sword at Slipstream.

His voice had a distinct French accent. Slipstream growled at the insult, but hesitated. The Black Paladin had an aura of menace about him. Cosmic Knight hovered before him.

“Well weaklings, willst thou join in battle or simply stand frozen?”

The evil knight then chuckled wickedly and raised his shield.

“Take him out!” cried Jae Sun over the airwaves monitoring the exchange.

“I’ll show you weak!” responded Slipstream sending a shattering wave of sound towards the Black Paladin.

Normally, there was nothing that protected against this attack. However, the energy blast never hit the Sir Giles de Morphant. He knocked it aside with his shield and the blast came roaring back towards Slipstream. Wide-eyed the speedster could not dive in time and first he went flying and then sliding across the ice and snow.

“Treachery! Thou seekest to send thy dogs against me, while ye stand back and cower, Craven Knight!”

As he was about to launch a tangleweb at the Black Paladin, Cosmic Knight heard something speak nearby.

“Well, two can play at that game, and we will win when it comes to deviousness, and then he heard demonic laughter as suddenly he was blinded.

His web fired and entangled some branches in a tree somewhere behind the Black Paladin. He heard more of that laughter nearby.

“Eclipse has blocked out your sun!”

Cosmic Knight flew straight up, but It followed continuing the maddening cachinnation. Down below, Slipstream shook away the cobwebs before the Black Paladin closed.

“I ain’t your dog, b-:mad:! If my blasts can’t get you how about a Quicksilver Punch !”

He zipped at his armor-clad adversary gearing up to give him a fist full of hurt. This time, the Knight of the Crows, deflected the punch, his shield moving into position just in time. Fortunately, his downward sword slash missed Slipstream, but the hero felt an unnatural chill as the blade passed within inches.

“Stay still, curr and so that I may make thine end swift, then kill thy master as well!”

Dang! Where was Cosmic Knight? thought Slipstream hoping for backup.

He felt he could not take this enemy alone. He smiled as he caught the glow of Somnus from the corner of his eye.

“Ha! Now you’re in for it, Black Knight. My friends gonna make you a drool monkey!”

On cue, Somnus reached into the mind of the Black Paladin and imagined the villian's will power as marionette strings. He pulled on a few and the knight reeled. But, the Knight of the Crow did not fall. Slipstream changed his tactics. He spun around the Black Paladin in a dizzying whirl, and then grabbed for his sword successfully yanking it from the knight's grasp. Then ignoring accusations of cowardice from him, took off in a blur towards Boston Harbor.

“Hahahahaha! One of thine thieving dogs hast fled, Craven Knight! He hast taken Eater of Souls, but fear not, Crusher of Hope hast yet to enter the fray.”

Cosmic Knight could not see, but Somnus gulped as Black Paladin pulled out a large, knobbed mace. The mentalist looked above him and saw Cosmic Knight clutching his head and then arch, arms flying back, as if in pain as black shadows passed in and out of his powered armor.

“Who’s attacking you, Cosmic Knight?”

He wanted to scan for more minds, but with Slipstream gone, the Black Paladin was unoccupied. The Knight of the Crows had to be taken down first. He tugged at some more ego-strings, causing the villain to stumble. Black Paladin looked towards him, and pointed with his mace.

“Mind witch, thine end is near!”

Somnus smirked. He was thirty feet in the air, and the Black Paladin was land bound. Then the knight disappeared….and reappeared ten feet above Somnus with his mace coming crashing down. The mentalist was too slow to dodge. His forcefield caved under the strength of the blow and Somnus was sent hurtling into the ground. Sprawled on the ground he lay unconscious as the Black Paladin landed in a nearby drift rolling with the fall to stand and shake his mace at the flying Cosmic Knight.

“Craven Knight, thy companions are felled or fled. Surrender and I will give thee a merciful end.”

However, Slipstream had not fled. Tossing the sword far as far as he could in the ocean, he sped back to Boston Common.

He cried out as he saw Somnus lying on the ground, “You’re gonna pay, Crow-boy!” and re-entered the fray.

He rapidly punched at the Black Paladin, but only his initial strike met purchase. The rest crashed against that damned shield! The one that did hit, predictably did not phase the knight. He retaliated with his mace, sending Slipstream skidding backwards in the snow. As he popped up to try the weapon-removal tactic again, he saw a demonic-looking shadow coalesce above the prone form of Somnus.

It spoke: “Surrender, dog or your friend’s body will be torn apart by my slithering shadows.”

In Its hand, darker shadows, brimming with malevolent power formed. Slipstream looked back and forth between the Black Paladin and the fallen form of Somnus. He sped at the shadow creature and at first his hand went right through It.

Stupid! he thought as he spun around for another attack, this time using his Ghost Punch.

The demonic creature staggered back from the blow, but recovered quickly. Then, it sent shadows to blind the eyes of Slipstream.

“Finally!” he heard Cosmic Knight cry in his com-link.

Cosmic Knight, the arcane blindfold gone, flew towards the Black Paladin unleashing a flurry of plasma blasts. The blasts startled the crows, and only served to get his enemy’s attention since none connected. Then Cosmic Knight landed, and he went toe-to-toe with the Knight of the Crows. His initial punch missed.

“Thou fights like a peasant, Craven," sighed the Black Paladin, "How unworthy will thy defeat be. Even so, a defeat thou shall have.”

Crusher of Hope came smashing into Cosmic Knight’s chest sending him crashing through the stark, leafless trees. He made an attempt to rise, but as he lifted to one elbow, he was overcome by the shock of the hit and the knockback through the obstacles, and he blacked out.

Slipstream, despite being blind, could still “see”, or rather hear, the shadow demon enough to pin-point Its location. He circled the creature several times, punching it each time he reached 12 o’clock. Soon, he heard a satisfying crunch from the snow-ice of the ground as a solid body fell. The blackness left his eyes and to his horror the creature, though maybe no longer insubstantial, still appeared as a humanoid shadow with bat-like wings. He whirled to the sound of Cosmic Knight’s grunt of pain over the radio channel, and saw him driven into the trees. Black Paladin stood over his downed comrade, mace lifted.

“Noooooo!” screamed Slipstream.

His voice echoed over the Common and Black Knight turned towards him.

“Tuck thy tail between thy legs and quit the field of battle, squire. I have defeated thy master. If ye leave, I shall spare his measly life.”

“Never! I will not surrender to the likes of thee, ya Black Dog.”

Slipstream grinned getting into the “thee/thou” smack talk.

“Very well, then,” replied the Black Paladin without a hint of emotion in his voice.

The mace came crashing down on Cosmic Knight’s armored helmet. Sparks—and was that blood?--flew, and Slipstream’s smile turned into a gasp. He sped at the Black Paladin and again rebounded off the shield. Tears streamed down his eyes as he briefly glanced at the caved-in helm of Cosmic Knight. The distraction nearly cost him as the Crusher of Hope connected again, sending the speedster spinning.

“No more toys for you, Blacky!” he cried stifling a sob.

Slipstream repeated his tactic and lifted the mace from Black Paladin’s grasp.

Swan Boats… he thought and ran to the Public Garden throwing the mace into the pool there.

Then he heard a helicopter and saw PRIMUS agents running across the bridge.

“It’s about time…Where…where were you guys?”

The Silver Avenger’s face was beaded with sweat as she ran up to Slipstream

“We went to the wrong side, and then there was this dark fog…,”

Slipstream could not catch the rest as he streaked back towards the rest of the north end of the Common.

The Black Paladin shook his fist at Slipstream.

“Know this, curr. Thy trickery and deception may have forced me to retreat, but next time, thou whilst not be so fortunate.”

Then the Knight of the Crows vanished in a swirl of mist and motes of light.

Somnus lived. He was sore and there was no permanent damage. The shadow demon had crept away. Cosmic Knight had been rushed to S.U.B.. Slipstream hoped the Re-Gen tanks were on line. His buddy was fading fast, even with the aid, Slip’ had given him. His tears had dried by now, as he had called Jae Sun to give a report.

“I heard most of it on the open frequency. We are heading back towards the base to help as we can.”

Slipstream sighed and breathed easier as he heard Jae Sun’s calm voice. His pager went off. He looked down as his grandmother’s number flashed across the screen.

Home! was all he could think of as he sped towards Beacon Hill.

Attachments

• blackpaladin01.jpg
    blackpaladin01.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Remove ads