• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Sheet Released

Loki-lie-Smith

Explorer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
I wonder if we're going to see some high damage output attacks or spells?

'Cause with the dying rules and 111 hp, that sucker ain't dying until he hits -55 ... which in D&D combat brings all new meaning to "beating a dead dragon".

IIRC that rule is for PC only.

The dragon will die once it hit 0 hp.

VannATLC

First Post
Or he fails three saves.

Which I'll grant is pretty damn unlikely.

Of course, his actual HP total, including Healing Surges, is comically high.

I generally like to have my PC's believing they could die at any given combat, if they are not at least a little careful. So it will be interesting to see.

D'oh -- I forgot about the "three saves" rule. That makes it a bit deadlier ... but only a bit. Not enough by itself to justify the "Once per day, when you die ..." mechanics, unless there are effects that could drop you from +10 to -55 hp in one or two hits.

Last edited:

Scipio202

Explorer
Stalker0 said:
Things we've learned:

1) Heavy armor does provide a -1 to speed. It also provides an ACP to a athletics, acrobatics, endurance, stealth, and thievery...though the penalty is much lower than in 3e (only -1!!)

2) Armor definitely seems to gain a bump at higher levels. This guy is getting a +15 to AC from armor. Since there's no bump to reflex saves, it doesn't look like he's wielding a shield. Even +5 plate armor is only +13, so looks like something else is going on.

3) Damage does not scale with level, at least the base damage. Powers may get stronger, but this guys is not getting it done in the OA damage.

4) Iron will still provides +2 to will defense.
I'm assuming the higher armor bonus is coming from the "advanced materials" armors (like the "feyweave leather armor" they mentioned at some point).

Stalker0

Legend
One thing that actually concerns me about this character. He has to roll a 16 to hit his own AC. Now it could be that he's just very defense focused and that's why...but its one thing my friends are very worried about.

They played in Saga, and one thing they've said is that at high levels, everyone's defenses are so high no one can hit each other. I hope 4e doesn't fall into that trap.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Stalker0 said:
One thing that actually concerns me about this character. He has to roll a 16 to hit his own AC. Now it could be that he's just very defense focused and that's why...but its one thing my friends are very worried about.

They played in Saga, and one thing they've said is that at high levels, everyone's defenses are so high no one can hit each other. I hope 4e doesn't fall into that trap.
Paladin = Defender = high AC and hit points but not so great on attacks.

I suspect a similar level rogue will hit this same AC on a 14 or less and many of his attacks will target non-AC defenses which are MUCH lower for this character.

Chowder

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Damage does not scale with level, at least the base damage. Powers may get stronger, but this guys is not getting it done in the OA damage.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? It seems to me that if damage from basic attacks doesn't increase with level, but hitpoints do increase with level, then eventually actions which use basic attacks (OAs, charges) won't be worth doing.

-Chowder

Colmarr

First Post
Kordeth said:
The dragonborn pregen's ability is called Dragonborn Fury. Aleeya has Dragonborn Frenzy listed, along with Dragonborn Senses (which the pregen has no entry for), under feats, not racial abilities. I think what we're seeing here is a racial feat, not a rule change.

Ah. Good catch. So presumably Dragonborn Frenzy adds +2 to damage when bloodied.

Scipio202

Explorer
Chowder said:
Does anyone have any insight into this issue? It seems to me that if damage from basic attacks doesn't increase with level, but hitpoints do increase with level, then eventually actions which use basic attacks (OAs, charges) won't be worth doing.

-Chowder
Well, there's no cost to taking an OA - it doesn't trade off with any other actions. And at-will's don't get replaced (and when they bump at epic tier, I think basic attacks do too). So charging vs. at will power will still be the same kind of decision. Since you don't have *that* many encounter powers, I wouldn't think it'd be too much of a problem.

Remove ads