Check out the Astral Deadnought from Mordenkainen's Tome

WotC's Nathan Stewart celebrated hitting 5,000 Twitter followers by sharing a page from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, the upcoming D&D book due for release next month. The art gloriously evokes Jeff Easley's art from the cover of 1987's Manual of the Planes (a monster originally called an "ethereal dreadnought" and changed to "astral dreadnought" in D&D 2E).

WotC's Nathan Stewart celebrated hitting 5,000 Twitter followers by sharing a page from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, the upcoming D&D book due for release next month. The art gloriously evokes Jeff Easley's art from the cover of 1987's Manual of the Planes (a monster originally called an "ethereal dreadnought" and changed to "astral dreadnought" in D&D 2E).

DahYYfRVMAAikU0.jpg

motp.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

dave2008

Legend
Is that supposed to be scary? It's big three-legendary-action special ability does 15 damage, with a save for half.

It is a bit weak for me too; however it is pumping out a 131 DPR. The legendary action is 15 to all opponents (still not enough IMO), but I used three claws at 19 to figure the DPR.

A level 20 barbarian has to succeed on a DC 19 Charisma saving throw every round or lose its turn. That's one dead barbarian, if you ask me.
No, because it can only take a legendary action at the end of an enemy's turn. The barbarian is gone for their turn, so they aren't around to trigger the legendary action. And even if the DM did rule that way, that would mean the barbarian was gone for the monster's turn, so it couldn't actually attack them. In the worst case scenario, the fight takes twenty times as long as normal, since it still progresses along its natural course but only advances during rounds when the barbarian saves successfully.

The monster gets substantially more powerful if the barbarian has allies.

Last edited by a moderator:

darjr

I crit!
I don’t think you get flight just cause your astral. Close cause you can choose what is “down” but if you can’t fly your falling. I think.

I don’t think you get flight just cause your astral. Close cause you can choose what is “down” but if you can’t fly your falling. I think.

This is almost correct. There is a sorta floor to the Astral Plane and you gain a movement speed (Walking explicitly not flying.) equal to 3 x your intelligence score.

dave2008

Legend
No, because it can only take a legendary action at the end of an enemy's turn. The barbarian is gone for their turn, so they aren't around to trigger the legendary action. And even if the DM did rule that way, that would mean the barbarian was gone for the monster's turn, so it couldn't actually attack them. In the worst case scenario, the fight takes twenty times as long as normal, since it still progresses along its natural course but only advances during rounds when the barbarian saves successfully.

The monster gets substantially more powerful if the barbarian has allies.

Yes, I have always ruled a legendary monster gets all of its unused legendary actions at the end of the round. It makes more sense to me (I write it that way in my stat blocks)

Last edited by a moderator:

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Cue the dreadnaught swallowing the only planar caster and sailing off through the astral, crying out a Three Stooges “Woop woop woop” as the rest of the party wonders what it’s going to do now...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads