• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Check out the Astral Deadnought from Mordenkainen's Tome

WotC's Nathan Stewart celebrated hitting 5,000 Twitter followers by sharing a page from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, the upcoming D&D book due for release next month. The art gloriously evokes Jeff Easley's art from the cover of 1987's Manual of the Planes (a monster originally called an "ethereal dreadnought" and changed to "astral dreadnought" in D&D 2E).

WotC's Nathan Stewart celebrated hitting 5,000 Twitter followers by sharing a page from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, the upcoming D&D book due for release next month. The art gloriously evokes Jeff Easley's art from the cover of 1987's Manual of the Planes (a monster originally called an "ethereal dreadnought" and changed to "astral dreadnought" in D&D 2E).

DahYYfRVMAAikU0.jpg

motp.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Cue the dreadnaught swallowing the only planar caster and sailing off through the astral, crying out a Three Stooges “Woop woop woop” as the rest of the party wonders what it’s going to do now...

Well luckily getting from the Astral Plane to another plane is easier then most planes. As there are color portals around that lead to other planes.

Plus the reason Astral Projection is relatively risk free is because you will just go back to your bodies on the material plane if you die. The only way for you do die by astral projection is if somthing like the Astral Dreadnought or a Githyanki with a silver sword cut your silver cord.

Is this a 4e thing? Because there isn't an astral floor in any other edition (so probably isn't in 5e).

You are right I misread something in the DMG that made me think there was a sort of watery floor, but you could go past it into more astral plane. This is what it actually looks like. And you do need solid footing to move around by yourself, you can't just will yourself to fly.

View attachment 96321

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZapp

Legend
Yes, I have always ruled a legendary monster gets all of its unused legendary actions at the end of the round.
One fundamental houserule I've made a long time ago is that any time a MM stat block says "3 legendary actions" it means "[number of players - 1] legendary actions".

With six PCs, five legendary actions is a bare minimum to sustain any form of danger, IMHO.

PS. I don't know what to say to "at the end of round"... unless you mean "just before its next turn"? The end of a round from its vantage point, that is.

The end of the round (the point where you cycle back from lowest initiative to highest) - and indeed the round itself - carry almost no significance in a cyclic initiative system. To me it's obvious the BBEG can keep using legendary actions after the turns of heroes with higher initiative - if the RAI meant anything else, they damn well had to say that outright.

dwayne

Adventurer
everyone seems to not understand is that in the planes there is no up or down, and in the astral movement is a problem.

dave2008

Legend
The point isn't to discuss specific details of your calculation. The point is that even if it was by the book, it's still way low.

It is low IMO, but some seemed to imply it was low per the guidelines (someone specifically referenced the DMG guidelines as a reason the HP were low). I just wanted to point out it was not low per the guidelines. For those whom the guidelines work, the AD is right in line with expectations. If anything it is a little power creep up.

Remove ads

Remove ads