• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Check this race please

Necromas

First Post
Powerful Build is worth +1 LA just as large size is, ya you don't get reach, but you also don't get the penalties to attack and AC, and you retain all the other benefits such as +4 to bull rush, grapple, etc.... It's a bit on the low end of LA +1 though so you can still have things like slightly unbalanced stats and keep it LA +1.

A good LA +1 template would be +4 str, -2 dex, powerful build, and maybe something else small.

Eloi

First Post
If you rounded this out with stating that the race has no specific racial weapon (Dwarven Waraxe comes to mind) that is exotic for others, but martial for this race.. that might be an acceptable mild limitation that brings it down to a nice +0.

It feels slightly more powerful than a +0 L.A. right now.

Trimming the Low-Light vision.. eh, maybe, but that prevents a lot of after-dark mischief, and that might Decrease Fun. :)

How about stating that Dwarves and other Small creatures which get bonuses against Giants also get bonuses against this race? That might do it.

Necromas

First Post
Eloi said:
How about stating that Dwarves and other Small creatures which get bonuses against Giants also get bonuses against this race? That might do it.

Would it also be fair to reduce the LA of evil outsiders or monstrous humanoids because 90% of rangers have them as favored enemies?

Also, if you consider them a non-psionic half-giant, then they should still have the giant type anyways like normal half-giants.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Looks fine to me. Powerful Build is nice, but not a big deal. +2 to Str or Con is nice, but balanced by the Dexterity penalty.

The Dex penalty is huge -- Dexterity really is the best stat in the game. In my game, I give Dwarves a -2 Dex instead of -2 Cha -- that seems to balance them better, and it allows Dwarf Sorcerers to reign supreme. ;)

Cheers, -- N

Eloi

First Post
Necromas said:
Would it also be fair to reduce the LA of evil outsiders or monstrous humanoids because 90% of rangers have them as favored enemies?

Also, if you consider them a non-psionic half-giant, then they should still have the giant type anyways like normal half-giants.

As mild limitations go, worth a fractional, "that feels about right" reduction in LA, I probably wouldn't reduce the LA of evil outsiders, or monstrous humanoids by some arbitrary .2 or .3 since that's adding more hassle to the poor DM. (Rangers only *wish* they made so vital a difference as to alter the LA of their foes with sheer bitter enmity.) :)

I definitely agree with this race being a Giant type, that makes good sense.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Eloi said:
I definitely agree with this race being a Giant type, that makes good sense.

... but would tend to raise the LA, because suddenly it's immune to a bunch of spells -- hold person and dominate person spring to mind.

Cheers, -- N

Eloi

First Post
Good point. So these guys need their own distinct name, since calling them "half-giants" leaves them open for an unintended power boost, in the form of those immunities you mentioned. (And here I was looking for some minor weakness instead. I goofed.)

Any thoughts on a diffferent potential name, OP?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Race Name: Big F***ers1

Race Name: Yet-Ti2

Race Name: Jotenschvartz3

Cheers, -- N

1) "Big Footers". You know. Like "Bigfoot".

2) Related to big snakes.

3) "May the Schvartz be with you!"

I can see 1 thing - and I thing only that can break the snot out of this race.

Make Him A Clr 1 of Kord with the Str domain... and use Enlarge Person
Give Him a Large Greatsword (which is now HUGE in His hands)

This has a world of hurt written on it...

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Gerion of Mercadia said:
Make Him A Clr 1 of Kord with the Str domain... and use Enlarge Person
Give Him a Large Greatsword (which is now HUGE in His hands)

He's normally dealing 3d6+1 (including +2 Str -- expected damage 11.5, discounting crits); enlarged, he's dealing 4d6+3 (expected damage 17, discounting crits). His AC is normally -1 (dex penalty); enlarged, it's -3 (extra dex + size penalties), and he has no net gain to attack (+1 from str, -1 from size). That's a net increase of +4.5 damage for -2 AC, plus really good size bonuses to grapple etc.

Enlarged: total AC penalty of -3, expected damage at regular attack bonus is 17.

In comparison, a raging Half-Orc Barbarian attacks at +2 (str bonus), has +2 hp per HD (Con boost), +2 Fort and Will saves (Con + Rage bonus), and suffers -2 AC. The half-orc will only be dealing +3 damage automatically, but he has the option to turn his +2 to attack into +4 damage via Power Attack. So, if he turns his full attack bonus into damage, he'll be dealing 2d6+8 (expected damage 15).

Enraged: total AC penalty of -2, expected damage at regular attack bonus is 15.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads