D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine tells Gamesradar+ he's "pretty confident" Honor Among Thieves sequel will happen

Stormonu

Legend
Same characters or different, I think both could work. For the same characters, more Harper shenanigans, perhaps this time vs. the Zhents or Cult of the Dragon. Zhents could hint at a deeper conspiracy from the 1st movie, Cult could run off the dragon appearances from the 1st film. Personally, I'd go for some sideways hints to Wave Echo Cave, Phandelver and/or Baldur's Gate.

Either way, having Xenk show up again as a recurring character would be something I would definitely like to see. And some sort of sidewards involvement from Szas - perhaps directing things from the background for revenge against foiling his plans in the first movie.

As much as everybody loves Regé-Jean Page, I think it would be a real challenge to tell a satisfying story with Xenk as the main protagonist.
Yeah, Xenk worked in moderation. Putting him in the full spotlight wouldn't be half as funny as he was as the straight guy to the rest of the cast.

Szass Tam seems the obvious choice for a direct sequel. I could also see them needing Forge Fitzwilliam for something and breaking him out of Revel's End.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
That would be genuinely great to hear. I think the film was much better than the perception of it in the larger community. It wasn't the breakout hit that some were expecting, but it was actually a fun film.
I think the issue was less that the perception of it in the larger community wasn't great, but that the perception was just too little. It's still over 90% with audiences and critics on RT. Virtually everyone who saw it really liked it. Just too few people saw it in theaters.

It has had great legs in streaming and purchase for at-home viewing, though.

Nothing could ruin the D&D movie franchise faster than meta 4th wall Deadpool bs.
I really like it with Deadpool, but I tend to concur that 4th wall breaking is only good when it's relatively rare. I don't think these movies are the place for it.

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think the issue was less that the perception of it in the larger community wasn't great, but that the perception was just too little. It's still over 90% with audiences and critics on RT. Virtually everyone who saw it really liked it. Just too few people saw it in theaters.

It has had great legs in streaming and purchase for at-home viewing, though.
I agree. I think that the movie suffered from a lack of promotion, and perhaps the assumption that D&D has a bigger reach than it really does. I don't know anyone who's seen it that didn't enjoy the film, and reviews I saw were pretty positive (even the clickbait sites who hate everything D&D at the moment).

I would really like to see a sequel, but I suppose that will relate to how the 2024 launch goes. And if someone charismatic goes to bat for it.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I agree. I think that the movie suffered from a lack of promotion, and perhaps the assumption that D&D has a bigger reach than it really does. I don't know anyone who's seen it that didn't enjoy the film, and reviews I saw were pretty positive (even the clickbait sites who hate everything D&D at the moment).

I would really like to see a sequel, but I suppose that will relate to how the 2024 launch goes. And if someone charismatic goes to bat for it.
It had MNF adverts, Super Bowl pregame ad, and cross promotion with multiple foods/candies etc. The promotional budget was a little too large.

Its biggest issue, and an issue for almost every film of 2023 was that fact that Hollywood is jamming five years of movies within 2022-24.

Also, it's #3 in the US again for Paramount+ and still in the top 10 worldwide. Notably, P+'s first full quarter with D&D available was the one that cut its losses by 45%, and they're now trending to be profitable by Q2 next year.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Sadly, you can't take an actor's statements like this one at face value. Henry Cavill once said there would be a sequel to Man From U.N.C.L.E., but there was never any chance of that happening -- even before Armie Hammer became persona non grata. (Too bad, because that movie was a blast).

Regardless of what Chris Pine says, a sequel won't be happening unless the first movie does remarkably well on streaming/home video. That said, maybe it will! Maybe it already is! That would be nice.

I think it has already done well enough.

Not from pure box office numbers but as an advertisement for D&D it is a very good deal for Hasbro.

Kurotowa

Legend
The biggest problem for Honor Amongst Thieves is that it opened five days before The Super Mario Bros. Movie. Without that it could have built a long tail on positive word of mouth, like Elemental did. But Mario was one of the biggest movies of the year and dominated for weeks, so HAT just got snuffed out and shuffled off to streaming quickly. Where it has, as people keep pointing out, done very well.

Remove ads