• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clarification on "immediate action"

Denaes

First Post
huh, these forums don't have a search feature? Odd.

I was checking out Immediate Actions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#immediateActions) and how they relate to my wizardry spells.

I get that I can use an Immediate Action when it's not my turn, but when? Just whenever I feel like it? In between actions?

Like if I'm standing there and a troll moves, can I perform my Immediate Action between its' movement and attack? Or do I have to wait to only do it as someones turn ends and anothers' begins? Can I do it in the middle of anothers move action (move 1, 2 3 -- immediate action -- 4, 5)?

Edit: The Halt spell on page 114 of PHB2 allows you to cast spell in the middle of someones movement. Is this how Immediate Actions normally work or special for the spell?

It sounds like an interrupt from MtG which meant you could do it in reaction to any other spell. You're going to attack me? Well I'm going to cast this shield spell as an immediate action now then.

Last edited:

Denaes

First Post
Also, is there a limit to the number of "Immediate Actions" you can perform in a time span? Or spells you can cast?

On your turn they count as a Swift Action. But off your turn it just says you can do it whenever.

So say I had a spell that allowed me to deal 2d8 damage to an attacker that had inflicted damage on me. My turn ends and Goblin1 attacks, hits and I hit him with the spell. Then Goblin2 attacks and hits me. Can I use the spell again (saying I had another instance prepared)?

Most spells I've seen that are Immediate have some stipulation that keeps you from reusing it willy nilly or the spell doesn't really do anything cast twice. One spell only works after you've taken damage, another works, but you become dazed until the end of your next turn, etc.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Denaes said:
So say I had a spell that allowed me to deal 2d8 damage to an attacker that had inflicted damage on me. My turn ends and Goblin1 attacks, hits and I hit him with the spell. Then Goblin2 attacks and hits me. Can I use the spell again (saying I had another instance prepared)?

No.

Immediate Action: Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time - even if it’s not your turn. Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are currently flat-footed.

-Hyp.

Denaes

First Post
My bad. The paragraph started off by talking about how it worked on your turn, I didn't realize it would jump topic mid-paragraph so I just skimmed it.

Well that answers that part, thanks :)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
There's debate as to when immediate actions can be used.

Let's say I have a power that gives me energy resistance as an immediate action.

My opponent's turn begins (A).
He starts to cast a spell (B), and I fail my Spellcraft check to identify it.
He completes his spell, and a Scorching Ray streaks towards me (C).
The DM makes the attack roll (D), and informs me that it hits (E).
The DM makes the damage roll (F), and informs me that it deals 12 points of fire damage (G).

At which point does it stop being legal for me to use my power?

A is clearly fine.

At point B, I would be interrupting an action in progress. The Halt spell, obviously, can do this... but is that a general property of immediate actions, or an exception?

C through G get progressively more worrisome.

-Hyp.

Denaes

First Post
Yes, and one (Deflect/Deflect, Lesser) spell says it can be cast at any time prior to the actual roll to strike.

So is that a clarification to be sure when it (and other Immediate Actions) can be used, or is it an exception to when an Immediate Action can normally be used, for this spell.

Coredump

Explorer
And this is a great example of why I love Hypersmurf.

Typical Rules Thread:

Poster: "I have this question."
Smurf: "Here is your concise easy to understand answer."
Poster: "Wow, that is great, and so clear. I will go away happy now."
Smurf: "Oh no you don't... no leaving happy. Must explore minutia. Here are all the possible repurcussions and implications... Bwahahahaha.... "
Poster: But...but...<wimper>

:)

And I am sincere, while I think it is kind of funny, I really do think it is a great way to handle it, and the minutia is often why I come here. It is just fun to watch. :)

MarkB

Legend
Denaes said:
Yes, and one (Deflect/Deflect, Lesser) spell says it can be cast at any time prior to the actual roll to strike.
And the Knight's Improved Shield Ally class feature is an immediate action which must be taken after an attack has been confirmed against an ally, but before damage is determined.

So is that a clarification to be sure when it (and other Immediate Actions) can be used, or is it an exception to when an Immediate Action can normally be used, for this spell.
That does tend to be the hotly-debated question, yes.

Remove ads