D&D 5E Clarifying Dungeon Turns for my Players

BookTenTiger

He / Him
So a few points of clarification I should have written out in the OP...

Dungeon Turns are not my invention or reinvention, they are actually a part of the game, just scattered throughout the rules. @FallenRX did a great job collecting them together in this thread: B/X styled Dungeon Turn Rules...

I'm putting together this document not as a house rule or a change to the core game, but specifically to help my players better move through large dungeons. As I stated before, for my players, a document like this really helps them make choices and take their own moments in the spotlight.

Based on some of the feedback, I've adjusted the document a little bit. I realized this will work best if first the players describe their intentions, then we play it out.

I guess what I'm seeking from this thread is feedback on things I need to clarify about using Dungeon Turns for my players. Are there obvious choices for actions I haven't listed? Is there anything you feel would confuse my players?

Here's Draft 2:

Dungeon Turns

When exploring a dungeon, the characters will act in 10-minute rounds, following these steps:

1. All players describe intended actions.
  2. In order, play out mechanics and consequences.

In each round, characters act in order based on their Passive Perception scores. The characters’ actions occur more-or-less simultaneously.

On your turn, you may move (up to your walking speed x 100) and take any actions that would fit within a ten-minute timeframe.

Example Dungeon Actions
  • Search an area, such as a wall, pile of rubble, or bookshelf, for traps, treasure, or secret doors.
  • Attempt to disable a trap, open a secret door, or investigate a mysterious object.
  • Scout for enemies by listening at a door or sneaking ahead.
  • Cast any number of one-action spells, or a ritual.
  • Hold a conversation with an NPC.
  • Set traps or blockade doors to secure a room.
  • Any other actions that could fit within a ten-minute timeframe.

Your character is also an active participant during another character’s turn. You might…

• Use the Help Action.
  • Participate in a conversation.
  • Cast a spell, use a magic item, or lend an object to assist the character.

And in the Spoiler I've got an example of how I see this going. For this example, let's just pretend the characters' Passive Perception scores line them up in alphabetical order.

A group of four adventurers are exploring a dungeon. The adventurers are:
  • Ava, a Fighter
  • Baldirk, a Cleric
  • Cricket, a Rogue
  • Drazila, a Wizard

DM: You enter a large room with an ancient mosaic of a battlefield covering one wall. At the far end of the room is a large wooden double door, warped with age but still strong. A number of tall ceramic urns stand in the corners of the room. What are your characters going to do?

A: I’m going to stand guard in the hallway, in case those troglodytes who ran come back.

B: I’m going to listen at that double-door in case there are enemies beyond it.

C: I’m going to search that mosaic for secret doors or traps.

D: I’m going to cast Identify on that ring we got from the troglodytes.

DM: Ava, describe how you stand guard.

A: I have my lantern out, and I’m going to be keeping a sharp eye for enemies.

B: I cast Guidance on Ava.

DM: Make a Perception Check. Add 1d4 from Guidance.

A: Hm… just a 12.

DM: You don’t see or hear anything… yet! Baldirk, what path do you take to the door?

B: Hm… I guess I’d walk close to the wall.

DM: Make a Dexterity Saving Throw.

B: Uh oh, just an 8.

DM: As you step past this urn, the floor suddenly opens beneath you and you fall into a 30-foot pit! You take 10 bludgeoning damage.

A: I shout out, “Are you okay?”

B: Yeah, I’m fine, just a bruise!

DM: Cricket, tell me how you are searching the mosaic.

Cricket: I have a bag of sand. I’m going to blow it from my palm onto the mosaic and see where it lands, maybe there are tiles that are sticking further out?

DM: Oh, cool. Make a Perception check.

D: Can I help?

DM: How does Drazila help?

D: She’s going to use the cantrip Gust of Wind to push the sand over the whole mosaic.

DM: Great idea. Cricket, you get advantage on your Perception check.

C: 21

DM: As you watch the sand settle down, you notice it gathering on a small clump of blue tiles that are sticking a little out from the wall. Druzila, you are casting Identify as a ritual?

D: Yeah, I sit cross-legged and start chanting in Draconic, calling on the ring to reveal its true nature to me.

DM: At the end of the ritual, you learn this is a Ring of Water Walking. Okay, round two. What will you be doing this round?

A: I’m going to lower a rope for Baldirk and pull him up out of that pit.

B: That’s awesome. Before I head to the door, I’ll search the rest of the floor for traps.

C: I’m going to try to silently open the double doors just a crack and see what’s beyond.

D: I’ll check out those tiles on the mosaic, see if I can figure out what happens if you press them.

(Dungeon Turns continue until the game shifts to a combat or social encounter.)

I took simultaneous resolution as a given here. Maybe I misunderstood the opening post?

Oh I must have misunderstood myself. Checking the b/x rules, yes, resolution is simultaneous.

1. In order, play out mechanics and consequences.

In each round, characters act in order based on their Passive Perception scores. The characters’ actions occur more-or-less simultaneously.
So in your example, once the players declare their action, they can't change based on something that happens on another player's turn. That makes sense, though you'd have to test how it plays out at the table. I would maybe make the players choose whether to do their own action or help each other on an action, not do both

Weiley31

Legend
Also get you free exploration time tracker here:
No need to reinvent the wheel. 1980's D&D has you covered.
Here is the 5E version of that chart that somebody made online based on the original link.

We are about to start a big, meaty dungeon in my weekly game, and to help keep things moving I want to introduce Dungeon Turns into the game. I know that my players do best when they have a little guidance, so I want to work up a quick document they can use to help them with the concept.

I'd love some feedback on this. Do you think there's anything I should change or add to this list? Do you think this would help players have a good Dungeon experience?

Dungeon Turns

When exploring a dungeon, the characters will act in order based on their Passive Perception scores. Each round takes about 10 minutes, with the characters’ actions occurring simultaneously.

On your turn, you may move (up to your walking speed x 100) and take any actions that would fit within a ten-minute timeframe.

Example Dungeon Actions
  • Search an area, such as a wall, pile of rubble, or bookshelf, for traps, treasure, or secret doors.
  • Scout for enemies by listening at a door or sneaking ahead.
  • Cast any number of one-action spells, or a ritual.
  • Hold a conversation with an NPC.
  • Set traps or blockade doors to secure a room.
  • Delay until after another character’s turn.
  • Any other actions that could fit within a ten-minute timeframe.

Your character is also an active participant during another character’s turn. You may add to conversations, suggest ideas, or help with another character's task.

During Another Character's Turn, You Might...
  • Use the Help Action.
  • Participate in a conversation.
  • Cast a spell, use a magic item, or lend an object to assist the character.
Looks good to me.
Pretry much an adaptation of Basic/Expert set dungeon procedures (which is the gold standard in D&D for dungeons)

Remember to track torches and oil ( i use graph paper and put little marks at 6 and 24 turns).

Also remember to slot in random encounter rolls periodically.

It may sound complex, but once you get into the flow it kind of just slides into the background.

The reason for clear dungeon procedures is to provide consequences to every action. Anything the players do has a cost in time and potential risk/encounters. The procedures put these costs in objective terms that players can understand and plan for and make meaningful decisions.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Here's the basic guidelines I use in my games that feature a lot of dungeon exploration (tweaked for any given campaign or adventure).

Traveling the Dungeon
As you travel about the dungeon, you can choose to engage in an ongoing task. You cease to engage in this task when you stop to explore a given area more thoroughly. Common travel tasks include, but are not limited to the below. The associated passive check is provided, if there is a check at all.
  • Keep Watch for Lurking Monsters (passive Perception)
  • Stay Alert for Signs of Traps (passive Investigation or Perception)
  • Search for Secret Doors (passive Perception)
  • Draw a Map (proficiency with cartographer's tools)
To have a chance to notice lurking monsters or signs of traps at the front of the party, you must be in the front rank of the marching order.

To draw a map, you must have both hands free and the appropriate tools. A map of an entire floor of the dungeon can be used to deduce the location of secret doors and chambers with automatic success. Source maps may also be worth gold to other adventurers or sages. There is no associated check to draw a map.

If you engage in any task other than keeping watch for lurking monsters, you are automatically surprised if a lurking monster is trying to sneak up on you.

Put an appropriately colored dot on your token along with the number of your rank in the standard marching order. Move your party according to the marching order.

Detailed Exploration
When you decide to stop traveling and explore a given area, the exploration phase begins. An area of 1000 square feet or smaller can be explored in 10 minutes. Use the magnifying glass asset to mark the area being carefully explored.

After the DM describes the environment, you take turns describing in a reasonably specific fashion what the characters try to do for the next 10 minutes. Common tasks include, but are not limited to the below.
  • Check for Traps
    • Figure Out a Trap
      • Disable a Trap*
  • Keep Watch
  • Loot the Room
  • Make a Deduction Based on Clues
  • Perform a Ritual
  • Pick a Lock*
  • Search for Secret Doors
    • Figure Out a Secret Door
* A character with Fast Hands can use thieves' tools to disarm a trap or pick a lock in addition to performing another task.

Tasks nested under other tasks cannot be undertaken successfully without first performing the task above it.

Working Together. Instead of performing a task by yourself, you can work together with someone else. By working together, you can grant advantage to the character leading the effort. You can only provide help if the task is one that you could attempt alone and when working together would actually be productive.

As above, if you engage in any task other than keeping watch for lurking monsters, you are automatically surprised if a lurking monster is trying to sneak up on you. Wandering monster checks will be made every X minutes and/or for each instance of noise in your area.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Here's the basic guidelines I use in my games that feature a lot of dungeon exploration (tweaked for any given campaign or adventure).

Traveling the Dungeon
As you travel about the dungeon, you can choose to engage in an ongoing task. You cease to engage in this task when you stop to explore a given area more thoroughly. Common travel tasks include, but are not limited to the below. The associated passive check is provided, if there is a check at all.
  • Keep Watch for Lurking Monsters (passive Perception)
  • Stay Alert for Signs of Traps (passive Investigation or Perception)
  • Search for Secret Doors (passive Perception)
  • Draw a Map (proficiency with cartographer's tools)
To have a chance to notice lurking monsters or signs of traps at the front of the party, you must be in the front rank of the marching order.

To draw a map, you must have both hands free and the appropriate tools. A map of an entire floor of the dungeon can be used to deduce the location of secret doors and chambers with automatic success. Source maps may also be worth gold to other adventurers or sages. There is no associated check to draw a map.

If you engage in any task other than keeping watch for lurking monsters, you are automatically surprised if a lurking monster is trying to sneak up on you.

Put an appropriately colored dot on your token along with the number of your rank in the standard marching order. Move your party according to the marching order.

Detailed Exploration
When you decide to stop traveling and explore a given area, the exploration phase begins. An area of 1000 square feet or smaller can be explored in 10 minutes. Use the magnifying glass asset to mark the area being carefully explored.

After the DM describes the environment, you take turns describing in a reasonably specific fashion what the characters try to do for the next 10 minutes. Common tasks include, but are not limited to the below.
  • Check for Traps*
    • Figure Out a Trap
      • Disable a Trap
  • Keep Watch
  • Loot the Room
  • Make a Deduction Based on Clues
  • Perform a Ritual
  • Pick a Lock*
  • Search for Secret Doors
    • Figure Out a Secret Door
* A character with Fast Hands can use thieves' tools to disarm a trap or pick a lock in addition to performing another task.

Tasks nested under other tasks cannot be undertaken successfully without first performing the task above it.

Working Together. Instead of performing a task by yourself, you can work together with someone else. By working together, you can grant advantage to the character leading the effort. You can only provide help if the task is one that you could attempt alone and when working together would actually be productive.

As above, if you engage in any task other than keeping watch for lurking monsters, you are automatically surprised if a lurking monster is trying to sneak up on you. Wandering monster checks will be made every X minutes and/or for each instance of noise in your area.
This is great. I’m going to steal it.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Is this like PF2 exploration mode?
It’s similar. Exploration mode in PF2 is a throwback to classic exploration procedures with some differences (looser handling of time, lack of random encounter checks and reaction rolls as standard procedure).

Remove ads