• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Classic or just plain brilliant adventures/modules

sgtscott658

First Post
Not D&D but perhaps the best set of adventure modules ever publish is the Enemy Within Campaign series for Warhammer Fantasy RPG from Games Workshop back in the late 80's. Lots of Role playing with equal amounts of combat. With a little work it can be converted to 5E and I bet the players will have a blast playing it.

Scott

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Only because it hasn't been mentioned yet (surprisingly) is Vault of Larin Karr by Necromancer Games.

The Night Below Campaign, or it's spiritual successor King for a Day.

And another thumbs up for Madness at Gardmore Abbey. I never ran 4E but I sure loved this one and plan to use it in 5E.

Sorry, here's my lists of best adventures, that I keep for myself.

Best 4E Adventures (any source)

TitleLevelSourceLength
1Tomb of Horrors DM Reward9DungeonMag4
2Halls of Undermountain Boxed Set1print12
3Face of the Moon17DungeonMag5Mind Flayers found a space station on moon, yes it's awesome
4Blood Money8DungeonMag1-2
5Encounters Season #7 Beyond Crystal Cave1DungeonMag3The most fey fairy tale adventure ever
6Entire "Dungeon Delve" bookallprint1
7Encounters Season #2 Dark Sun1DungeonMag4
8Bark at the Moon6DungeonMag3Werewolves!
9Lord of the White Field6DungeonMag3Ghouls!
10Steading of Hill Giant Chief12DungeonMag
Giants!
11The Slaying Stone1print3-4
12Dead for a Spell8DungeonMag4Eberron
13Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan7DungeonMag6
14Glacial Rift of the Frost Giant Jarl16DungeonMag6
15Madness at Gardmore Abbey6print12
16Five Deadly Shadows8DungeonMag2
17Red Box Adventure (Twisted Halls)1print2
18Some Assembly Required1DungeonMag3
19Keep on the Shadowfell1print9
20Starhaunt16DungeonMag4-5
21Winter of the Witch22DungeonMag4-5most epic dragon fight ever
22Trollhaunt Warrens11print9

Best 3.5 and Pathfinder Adventures (any source)

TitleLevelSourceLengthNotes
1Red Hand of Doom6 to 12Wotcvery long
2City of the Spider Queen10 to 18Wotcextremely longPC game like
3The Demon Within11Paizo
best demon adventure ever written
4Hook Mountain Massacre
Paizo
Part of Rise of Runelords, stands alone
5There is No Honor1Paizo
Part 1 of Savage Tide, no villain has ever been more hated
6Burnt Offerings
Paizo
Part of Rise of Runelords
7Carnival of Tears
Paizo4 sessions
8Skinsaw Murders
Paizo
Part of Rise of Runelords
9Entombed with the Pharoahs
Paizo

10Seven Days to the Grave
Paizo4-5 sessionsPart of Curse of the Crimson Throne
11The Lich Queen's Beloved
Dungeon Mag4-5 sessionsEpic level
12Kings of the Rift
Dungeon Mag
Part of Age of Worms
13Kill Bargle3Dungeon Mag last ever
update of the original Red Box 1983 beginner adventure
14The Weavers
Dungeon Mag

15Chimes at Midnight
Dungeon Mag
Eberron, mystery, in the hardboiled style
16The Styes
Dungeon Mag

17Whispering Cairn
Dungeon Mag
Part of Age of Worms
18The Harrowing15Dungeon Mag 84rediculously long,like tooo freakin long, but epic scope of Lolth's Lair in Abyss
19Chains of Blackmaw
Dungeon Mag 84
break into prison, to break someone out.

Best D&D AD&D, older edition Adventures (any source)

TitleLevelSourceLength
1Ravenloft3-5TSR3-5 sessionscheck reddit for 5E Conversion
2Tomb of Horrors8?TSR
Remade in 5E by Chris Perkins in Dungeon Magazine
3Against the Cult of the Reptile God3
3-5 sessionsclassic classic classic, "do we hide the bodies of the villagers we just killed?" "why does everyone keep offering us wine?"
4Expedition to the Barrier Peaks8-12TSR
The malfunctioning exercise android says "hey weakling, catch!" and throws a barbell
5The Village of Hommlet1TSR2 sessionssuper fun dungeon, nice town
6Blade of Vengeance8TSR
the quintessential Red Dragon slaying hobbit story but with elves.
7The Ghost of Mistmoor1-5Dungeon Mag1 shotthe best haunted house mystery D&D adventure ever written
8The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh1TSR3 sessionsHey Scooby, Scooby Doo
9Night's Dark Terror1TSR8-10 sessionsa real adventure through an adventurous land
10The Mother's Curse3-5Dungeon Mag2-3 sessionsoh my gosh, Hags are evil, especially when they mess with pregant ladies
11Jacob's Well

The movie "Alien" - in a D&D adventure with a Slaad.
12The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb

13Desert of Desolation Series

14White Plume Mountain6-8

15The Silver Key6TSR
awesome premise, somewhat difficult to run. Polymorphed into Orcs!
16Master of the Desert Nomads

17Bogged Down1Dungeon Mag1 shot"Where's my big toe?" Classic story in D&D
18Steading of Hill Giant Chief6-12

it gets a reputation as hack n slash, but there are so many NPCs and ways to approach the place
19Asflag's Unintentional Emporium
Dungeon Mag1-shotthe classic haunted wizard tower in town, wizard went missing
20Chadranthar's Bane4-6Dungeon Mag
Honey I shrunk the kids

Last edited:

Eric V

Hero
Also a big fan of Madness at Gardmore Abbey. It finished off Heroic tier nicely for my 4e group (hobgoblin slavers kidnapped the flower elf from Keep on the Shadowfell, and they tracked them to Thunderspire Labyrinth. Came back to reclaim the Abbey, and now it's their version of the JLA Watchtower).

Maybe it's just the project I gave myself, but I am loving the Steve Kurtz modules from Al-Qadim (Dozen and One Adventures, Ruined Kingdoms and Cities of Bone). Along with Assassin Mountain (Wolfgang Baur), they will be the backbone of a new campaign. A bit railroad-y but I think they're so flavourful and great.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
A few that haven't been mentioned yet:

TSR: L1 Secret of Bone Hill (I'm shocked this hasn't come up yet, great adventure design here!)
Judges' Guild: Maltese Clue (it's an odd one, but excellent)
TSR: B7(?) Rahasia
(unsure): Rappan Athuk (megadungeon, there's a 2e version and a d20-system version; both are deadly)

And a word of caution about B10 Night's Dark Terror: while it's getting a lot of love in this thread it probably works best if you use its main map as the basis for your game's setting, as I believe [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] did. I've twice tried to run it in pre-established settings and both times had a hard time making it fit in.

Lan-"B10 probably also works better if run as lots of little adventures instead of one great big one"-efan

Nebulous

Legend
I'm currently running Ravenloft (3.5) for the 3rd time in my gaming career and I've got to mention the Desert of Desolation series of modules. The flavor and production quality of that adventure series has left good memories in my mind and I would love to see a 5E conversion!

I was going to run 1e Ravenloft with the 5e conversion notes, but is there a reason to run 3.5 instead? I'm sure it is longer and more involved, but better?

Edit: note that i do find a certain satisfaction in playing a classic module from the early 1980s. But i'm open to suggestions.

Meliath1742

First Post
Actually running the Expedition to Ravenloft...which has far more content but allows you to trim it back to what you need. I'm running it much closer to the original I6.
My group has been together along time but we've gotten far enough apart that we are forced to use Roll20 as our gaming platform. I'm gearing up for a 5E version of the Desert of Desolation series. The maps and conversion info can be found with a couple of google searches.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
And a word of caution about B10 Night's Dark Terror: while it's getting a lot of love in this thread it probably works best if you use its main map as the basis for your game's setting, as I believe pemerton did.

<snip>

B10 probably also works better if run as lots of little adventures instead of one great big one
I did both these things. In 28 levels of my 4e campaign I haven't needed any world map beyond the main map for B10.

And I used it as a series of scenarios, interspersed with other stuff. I also combined all the tomb mounds into one big undercrypt (expanded by taking bits and pieces from Sceptre Tower of Spellgard). Xithaqa was a combination of some of what's in the module with the Chamber of Eyes from Thundersprire Labyrinth. And the final valley was the home of a lost civilsation of minotaurs (built up from level 1), not whatever is in the module, and I combined it with Heathen from Dungeon magazine. Plus for the city of Threshold I rolled in the city of Adakmi from Heathen and *can't remember its original name* from Speaker in Dreams.

By the time the PCs made their way into the valley and uncovered the secret of the minotaurs, they were 15th level.

Nebulous

Legend
Actually running the Expedition to Ravenloft...which has far more content but allows you to trim it back to what you need. I'm running it much closer to the original I6.
My group has been together along time but we've gotten far enough apart that we are forced to use Roll20 as our gaming platform. I'm gearing up for a 5E version of the Desert of Desolation series. The maps and conversion info can be found with a couple of google searches.

I have Desert of Desolation, i had not considered looking for a 5e conversion, but that might be fun as well. I'm trying to get some classic D&D adventures under my belt, i typically homebrewed most of my early gaming days and missed out on most of the published stuff. 5th edition appears to be a great way to bring those old modules back.

Remove ads