• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleaver?

3d6

Explorer
Why not use stats for a pre-existing weapon? Depending on the type of cleaver, it seems like dagger, shortsword, or throwing axe stats could be appropriate.

Last edited:

foxwick

First Post
3d6 said:
Why not use stats for a pre-existing weapon? Depending on the type of cleaver, it seems like dagger, shortsword, or throwing axe stats could be appropriate.

I will if it's never been written up - just checking. Throwing axe would seem closest, and it would be exotic unless the character has kitchen experience, I guess.

foxwick

First Post
Mistwell said:
Cleaver = Handaxe according to WOTC:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060317a

"Cleaver Mastery (Ex): In the hands of the voidmind rot reaver, a cleaver (identical to a +1 handaxe) deals quadruple damage on a successful critical hit, instead of the normal triple damage for a handaxe."

Awesome, thanks!

Would "a +1 handaxe" mean masterwork? Seems to me you could have a cruddy cleaver, so that doesn't seem right...

Items have to be of masterwork quality before they can be enchanted at all. So, a +1 item is masterwork before is magical (but magical before masterwork for all other purposes).

foxwick

First Post
Yes, I understand that magic items are made from masterwork items. My confusion lies in the excerpt "a cleaver (identical to a +1 handaxe)", and what the +1 is implying. Does it mean that in the hands of the voidmind rot reaver, cleavers are treated +1 magical, or that in general, all cleavers are slightly better than handaxes, giving a +1 bonus, but that they are not magical?

Edit: And further, if the latter, is the bonus just to attack (like MW), or is it to damage as well?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I suppose you could take the damage of a normal hand axe, making it that damage +1, and then make it masterwork.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I had a player in my campaign who was the ship's cook (he was also a Mage, from the Birthright 3e rules) who used a cleaver. It was one of the big jobbies, so we decided it was 1d6, Crit 19-20/x2

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads