Cleric lvl dip

Jeggernaught

First Post
I have a lvl 8 polearm master vengeance paladin. I've been able to hold my own as the tank of the group, but the party could use some more healing. I'm looking at taking a 1 lvl dip into a cleric of life. I know it keeps me from getting aura of vitality this level, but long term i'm thinking the additional +3 healing on level 1 heals and +5 on the aura at lvl 10 will really help. Thoughts?

CTurbo

Explorer
What is your Wis? I don't think I would dip until maybe Level 12 if at all. Levels 9, 10, and 11 just offer stuff that's too good to pass up or wait on.

gyor

Legend
Just take the leader and healer feats and lots of potions.

Or if you multiclass, do so as a divine soul sorcerer it aligns with Paladin casting stat better. Metamagic can be useful for healing, like twin spell.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Are you looking for in-combat healing or out-of-combat healing?

A 1 level dip won't bring a noticeable amount of that to a 9th level party. But if you're mostly looking at standing up people who have dropped unconscious then a bonus action to get them up instead of a full action with your lay-on-hands has some value. If you're just looking for more ablative HPs for a battle then the Inspiring Leader feat will bring you a lot more damage soak per day then your healing will bring (but doesn't have the stand-up-fallen aspect). I mention that as "in-combat" because it's a buff you will do before they enter.

If you're looking for out-of-combat healing, paladin is still pretty good with aura of vitality. Or go divine soul sorcerer - CHR as casting attribute, pick up bonus action healing spells, and at level 2 you can get Extend metamagic which makes your Aura of Vitality twice as potent per casting. No free 3 HPs for a 1st level healing spell, but at 9th I don't think that's really noticeable. Inspiring Leader helps for out-of-combat healing as well, because you have less wounds to heal.

Remove ads