• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

combining skills into Stealth a good thing?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Eltharon said:
Spycraft, from what I can see from me quick glance at it, combined these skills:
[...]
Tumble+Balance+Jump

Woah!

I guess Tumble is less of an issue when most people are using ranged weapons (like guns).

-- N

Tetsubo

First Post
frankthedm said:
If you make the desision to combine spot and listen into "Notice" most creatures and the classes with spot and listen as class skills need to have their skill points reduced by 1. If the system gets streamlied so do the skill points.

See, I don't think ANY of the classes have enough Skill Points. Streamlining some of the skills is a way to make those points go farther. If you streamline the skills but reduce the skill points, what have you gained?

I've been playing with this idea for awhile myself. I think I might do the following:

Climb + Jump + Swim = Athletics (ST)
Listen + Spot = Perception (WS)
Hide + Move Silently = Stealth (DX)
Disable Device + Open Lock = Disable Device (IN)

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
See, I don't think ANY of the classes have enough Skill Points. Streamlining some of the skills is a way to make those points go farther. If you streamline the skills but reduce the skill points, what have you gained?

I've been playing with this idea for awhile myself. I think I might do the following:

Climb + Jump + Swim = Athletics (ST)
Listen + Spot = Perception (WS)
Hide + Move Silently = Stealth (DX)
Disable Device + Open Lock = Disable Device (IN)
Not bad, given your goal.
Maybe this and this will inspire a few ideas to help you out.

Good luck.

Drowbane

First Post
Skills in play currently

All classes gain +2 skills per level (thus; Fighters have 4 + Int and Rogues have 10 + Int) and free rein with skill selection (class skill, whats that?).

~~~

- Acrobatics (Balance, Tumble)
- Appraise
- Athletics (Climb, Jump, Swim)
- Autohypnosis
- Bluff
- Concentration
- Craft:
- Decipher Script
- Diplomacy
- Disable Device (Disable Device & Open Lock)
- Disguise
- Forgery
- Gather Information
- Handle Animal
- Heal
- Intimidate
- Legerdemain (Escape Artist, Sleight of Hand)
- Knowledge Arcana (psionics), Architecture and Engineering, Dungeoneering, Geography, History, Local, Nature, Nobility and Royalty, Planar, and Religion.
- Perception (Listen, Spot)
- Perform
- Profession
- Ride
- Search
- Sense Motive
- Speak Language
- Spellcraft (Psicraft)
- Stealth (Hide, Move Silently)
- Survival
- Use Magic Device (Use Psionic Device)
- Use Rope

~~~

Its going great so far.

Goken100

First Post
ValhallaGH said:
Maybe this and this will inspire a few ideas to help you out.
Dude, these ideas are blowing me away. I recommend that everyone who's interested in this thread read those linked articles.

The basic idea is this:
Replace the class skill / cross-class skill trade-off with an individual skill / skill group trade-off. A character can spend a skill point on a skill group that the character's class(es) grant access to. This confers a point to all skills in that group. The alternative is to just apply the point to a single skill, which can be any skill in existence.

The groups presented encompass all of the ideas discussed in this thread (Athletics, Stealth, etc). The challenge would be implementing it to D&D, as I don't necessarily want to have to use Iron Heroes classes. Still, I think its aweful cool.

Felon

First Post
frankthedm said:
If you make the desision to combine spot and listen into "Notice" most creatures and the classes with spot and listen as class skills need to have their skill points reduced by 1. If the system gets streamlied so do the skill points.

Flawed reasoning on several fronts. The purpose of compressing skills is not only to streamline the rules, but to allow characters more latitude with expending skill points.

And of course, classes tend to have several times more class skills than they have skill points per level to spend on them. A ranger has almost 30 class skills to spend 6 pts per level on. Reducing the list by one certainly isn't balanced out by reducing the much smaller pool of skill points.

Remove ads