• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Comfort withcross gender characters based on your gender

Comfort with cross gender characters based on your gender

• I am male and am uncomfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 46 11.8%
  • I am male and am indifferent to cross gender characters

Votes: 108 27.8%
  • I am male and am comfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 214 55.0%
  • I am female and am uncomfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • I am female and am indifferent to cross gender characters

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • I am female and am comfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 17 4.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hussar

Legend
I’m confused. Do the players at your tables not introduce their characters at your tables? How is it possible that you could get five sessions in and not know the race, gender and general make up of a fellow players character? Doesn’t your party discuss who’s playing what beforehand? I can understand some groups may not do the latter but surely the former is a bare minimum for party cohesion.

Assuming someone is a male human commoner because that’s what their player looks like, is probably missing out a fairly important stage of party building - in a game where people can play any one of a dozen classes or two dozen races.

You'd think. But, by the same token, I've heard the comment "You're playing a what?" on more than a few occasions. Then again, people do forget too. Sure, you introduced your character five months ago (in real time), but, since then, never once mentioned that your character is _____. It's not too farfetched that people might not recall that given that you (generic you) have never actually referenced ___ other than at that session 1.

TheSword

Legend
You'd think. But, by the same token, I've heard the comment "You're playing a what?" on more than a few occasions. Then again, people do forget too. Sure, you introduced your character five months ago (in real time), but, since then, never once mentioned that your character is _____. It's not too farfetched that people might not recall that given that you (generic you) have never actually referenced ___ other than at that session 1.

Sure, people may forget. But surely all that’s required is an out of game reminder, if they address them wrong or jump to the wrong conclusion.

Hussar

Legend
Sure, people may forget. But surely all that’s required is an out of game reminder, if they address them wrong or jump to the wrong conclusion.

Fair enough, that works too. Again, I'm not jumping up and down shouting "BAD GAMER" here. It's a fairly minor thing. More of a proud nail moment than anything. The point I've been trying to make here, and fairly unsuccessfully I think, is that it behooves the player to play the character in such a way that these things aren't forgotten in play. If you choose something for your character, take a moment to think about how this impacts how the character will be played and make at least a bit of an attempt to convey that in play.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Does make me wonder how often the libido of a character comes up in play for most characters/groups?
As I noted above, I prefer PG to PG-13 D&D. Playing kissyface and heading to the same room for the night covers everything to get the point across.

I had a DM who tried to use an NPC to seduce his girlfriend's PC. That went not well. When we took a pizza break, I went over and asked him "You do realize there are 4 voyeurs listening in to that bedroom scene?" She turned red and he turned white. And he did not bring that up again.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
As I noted above, I prefer PG to PG-13 D&D. Playing kissyface and heading to the same room for the night covers everything to get the point across.

I had a DM who tried to use an NPC to seduce his girlfriend's PC. That went not well. When we took a pizza break, I went over and asked him "You do realize there are 4 voyeurs listening in to that bedroom scene?" She turned red and he turned white. And he did not bring that up again.

I think most D&D is PG-13, what is the suggested playing age for D&D players? I believe it is 13 years and older. D&D involves lots of combat, that is why it would be at least PG-13. I don't know of any role playing games for a 7 year old, but I imagine it wouldn't involve killing things and taking their treasure. Anything involving Sex would be rated-X, or maybe R. I don't really plan on playing an X-rated D&D game, I would be too embarrassed to try. It would take some kind of extrovert to share in some sexual details with a bunch of players around the table, as opposed with just one other person. But why would you want to role dice and play a game with just that one person? D&D is more fun as a group activity with more than 2 people. Sexual identity does not really come into play unless you are planning to actively describe sex scenes and romantic encounters instead of just shoving those into the background and moving on when they do occur.

It is curious that someone would bring up a topic that rarely ever would occur in most people's table top games, maybe he is just trying to stir up some controversy. People do that a lot here. Sexual relations is not a subject that is dealt with in the rules, most of which have to do with combat, it is mostly just background fluff, a DM that goes into this level of background detail with the setting would tend to run some slow games, like reminding the players that their characters had forgotten to eat lunch and dinner, and that they need to eat something, or that one needs to take off his suit of full plate mail in order to eliminate, and then asking where does he plan to do that. The rules don't really cover these things, and most game play sessions tend to brush them over, and don't go into specific detail over what exactly each character eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner, or what sex acts they perform with imaginary characters.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The point I've been trying to make here, and fairly unsuccessfully I think, is that it behooves the player to play the character in such a way that these things aren't forgotten in play. If you choose something for your character, take a moment to think about how this impacts how the character will be played and make at least a bit of an attempt to convey that in play.

You've been unsuccessful because that isn't much like what you said at the start of this.

Your initial statement was that nobody at the table should ever have to ask what gender your character is. This is a very far distance from saying that your play should be plausibly in line with the background story of your character.

The former comes across as, "Hey, folks, like I tell you at the beginning of each session, my character wears a dress and has breasts! Remember I'm playing a WOMAN!" The latter may be more internally noting that you're playing a woman, and in her culture that makes her subject to certain forms of harassment, and your character will have zero patience for the guys in the tavern who get handsy with the serving maids, leading to a tendency of starting bar fights.

Note that a man could decide he has no patience with people in the tavern who get handsy, too, or just have a tendency to start bar fights. They may come at the same basic behavior through different paths, so the end behavior doesn't unambiguously tell you the gender of the character, but either is still solid role-playing.

There may be a more basic question behind this - do you feel that everyone at the table should always know the motivations of your character? Because that, ultimately, is what role playing is - translating the motivations of the character into actions, right? Does this process need to be obvious to all other players, or should a player be allowed to only present the end results?

I submit that it is the latter. And, in general, what the player communicates to others at the table (GM and players alike) are the things that the player wants others to engage with. If the player wants their gender-related motivations to be internal, rather than as a point of engagement with others, then they can de-emphasize the fact they are of a particular gender. If they want an aspect to be a particular point for you to engage with, then they can put emphasis upon it.

As an example, we'll take the character my wife is playing in my 5e game. My wife is 5' 2" on a tall day, and while she's strong for her size, her build is slight. In the game, she's playing a 7' 2" dragonborn paladin with 18 strength, heavy armor, and an axe longer than the party gnome is tall. The fact of the character's physicality is mentioned repeatedly during play, pretty much every session, because my wife *wants* to make sure we don't think of her personal physicality - she wants to be able to loom over people in the game in ways she could never do in real life.

The fact that the character is also female? Largely irrelevant - while we refer to the character with the feminine pronoun, the point that she is a *she* doesn't enter into play with others. The culture around her is so predominantly mammalian that her traditional gender role is unknown to most of the people she meets. The intent is that they react to "big frelling lizard!" way more than they react to "woman", by my wife's choice.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
I think most D&D is PG-13, what is the suggested playing age for D&D players? I believe it is 13 years and older. D&D involves lots of combat, that is why it would be at least PG-13. I don't know of any role playing games for a 7 year old, but I imagine it wouldn't involve killing things and taking their treasure.

It's rated 12+ I believe, however it is clearly played by folks that are a lot younger and those that are a lot older.

Anything involving Sex would be rated-X, or maybe R. I don't really plan on playing an X-rated D&D game, I would be too embarrassed to try.

Your rating are a little different over in the US. We allow brief and discreet, sex and nudity in 12A's in the UK, but tend not to get it because films aim for a PG-13 US release. Something like Superbad which is a R in the US would only get a 15 over here.

Still anything involving sex would be R rated? Even "off camera" and "fade to black" stuff, Bond movies regularly get a PG-13 rating and he tends to get laid every movie.

It would take some kind of extrovert to share in some sexual details with a bunch of players around the table, as opposed with just one other person. But why would you want to role dice and play a game with just that one person? D&D is more fun as a group activity with more than 2 people.

I'm not sure what level of detail you were expecting. Generally I'm talking the sort of stuff Bond might get up to in a PG-13 movie, not Fifty Shades or Grey or making it sound like reading some erotic fiction aloud.

Sexual identity does not really come into play unless you are planning to actively describe sex scenes and romantic encounters instead of just shoving those into the background and moving on when they do occur.

Really? Bond's sexual identity doesn't come into play in his PG-13 films? For a fantasy example Aragorn's sexual identity didn't come into play in the Lord of the Rings series?

It is curious that someone would bring up a topic that rarely ever would occur in most people's table top games, maybe he is just trying to stir up some controversy. People do that a lot here.

I think it probably comes up a lot more than you think, as some people have mentioned earlier.

Sexual relations is not a subject that is dealt with in the rules,

No, that way leads to F.A.T.A.L. and no one wants to go down that rabbit hole. You don't really need rules for social interaction, although many game have introduced that, D&D included. Although very few go into any detail about applying them in dating, unless it is part of the genre (seduction in spy games). You certainly don't want rules for the physical interactions that occur after the social ones.

most of which have to do with combat, it is mostly just background fluff, a DM that goes into this level of background detail with the setting would tend to run some slow games, like reminding the players that their characters had forgotten to eat lunch and dinner, and that they need to eat something, or that one needs to take off his suit of full plate mail in order to eliminate, and then asking where does he plan to do that. The rules don't really cover these things, and most game play sessions tend to brush them over, and don't go into specific detail over what exactly each character eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner, or what sex acts they perform with imaginary characters.

No but the loves/motivations of a character (which can be driven by libido, and sexual identity) are often important enough for roleplaying that they come up in play.

Last edited:

The loves/motivations of a character (which can be driven by libido, and sexual identity) are often important enough for roleplaying that they come up in play.

It seems very odd to me that this isn't the case for most game groups; of the last dozen long campaigns I've been in, all of them have had characters who have sex quite often. It's not exactly an odd or unusual activity. There seems to be a feeling that if sex is involved in a game, it requires explicit details of what's going on. Which is odd, because we don't have the same expectations of, say, lockpicking.

The James Bond style of description is a pretty reasonable model. I have a character who adventures with his girlfriend, and usually it's just a case of us signing for the nice room in the hotel, or being apart from the group when the midnight ambush arrives (because we're noisy). We also have a Numenéra game which can veer closer to R-rated because weird magic/tech items have a lot of ... unexpected ... uses. But mostly it's a question of one player saying "hey, I think I'll keep that gently vibrating rod which you can set the temperature on" and the rest saying "why do you ... OK, yes, sure, we don't want to know the details; it's yours now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads