• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Comments on trick to boost stats?

Belbarrus

First Post
I am running a roll-playing module (emphasis on roll-playing, instead of role-playing). The players are not encouraged to role-play a character, just have pure hack-n-slash fun in a dungeon of mayhem. Therefore min-maxing characters is perfectly fine.

However, I think that they may have stumbled upon something that still exploits the rules a little TOO much.

A player's new character starts with low physical stats (lets say 3 Str, Dex and Con) and pumps their mental stats up really high. We use a 32 point buy system. Then, when the character joins the party, the Wizard casts Polymorph on them and turns the new character into a something big and tough like an Annis (a type of Hag). The character does not gain any supernatural, spell-like or extraordinary abilities, but they DO get 25 str, Dex 12, Con 14, +10 Natural Armor, large size, speed 40' and the ability to use normal equipment as a humanoid. The only drawback is that when in hindered situations, the must make a Will save or take -2 on attacks and skills.

So, someone could make a Halfling Sorcerer with 5 Str, 3 Dex, 3 Con, 18 Int, 18 Wis, 17 Cha. Then, when they start they are polymorphed into an Annis and get 25 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 18 Int, 18 Wis, 17 Cha. When they go to town, they use a Change Self item or spell (Hat of disguise, Ring of chameleon Power, etc) to disguise themselves.

Any thoughts on this? I am thinking of making anyone who does this the target of all attacks from any source : ) hehe

maybeso

First Post
Yep, 3.0 poly other can make you hell on little red wheels, right up until you meet dispel magic or a dead magic zone or an ant-magic field, etc.

Just throw an Adamantine Horror (MM2 pg 47) at the group. Only CR9. disntegrate, implosion, and Mordenkainen's disjunction at will. That should fix the problem...

Shallown

First Post
Easy Dispels are the down fall to that thought path. One anti magic area anything that knocks out magic. It doesn't have to be constant but happen often enough to screw them up. Yeah you have a 25 str but get dispelled and guess what you can't move becuase of the crap you carry. If they want to take the risk. Okay.

Dispelling is a common and legitimate tactic. There is a third party feat that boost dispel attempts by +2. Useful for such things.

Later

Numion

First Post
I guess its legal, but remember though that the new CON only affects Fort saves and skills, not hitpoints. So any character with 3 CON ends up with about 1 hp per level automatically.

Keith

First Post
Well, it is not that different from a well-balanced character making avid use of the same spells and items, really. Except that sooner or later, a character like that will have to rely on their own abilities, and then nature will take its course. You could make some effort to create those situations, I suppose. Or you could accept that the characters are dangerous and well protected, and have a field day throwing whatever you want at them.
I agree with the view that it is always important to give players the sense that their characters are risking their lives. It is not necessary to actually kill them to do this, though.
In a way, given that it is a “roll-playing” heavy game, I think this scenario is actually pretty funny, and running with it might be as good as preventing it. Preventing it is of course easy: set a minimum score for each ability- problem solved.
Having fun with it? Plenty of spell-using opponents that start things rolling with dispel magic, and then plenty of spells that require saves- “Oh, look at that, you failed yet again, full damage for you.”

JoeBlank

Explorer
I thought that with point-buy, as written in the DMG, you could not lower stats below 8 to gain extra points. If so, the only stats below 8 should come from racial mods.

If this is correct, it would at least minimize the tactic you describe.

Belbarrus

First Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

I forgot about the CON/Hit points thing. A 7th level Halfling Sorceror with 3 CON would have a maximum of 7 hit points and even when boosted to 14 CON with polymorph, the hit points dont change.

I also forgot that Dispel magic will permanently remove a Polymorph. Until it is cast again, but will still cause major problems in the meantime. :)

Belbarrus

ZR

First Post
Is it true that poly other will dispell??

In a campain that I DM a char had his arms and ears etc eaten of by some ghouls when he was unconcious in a big battle with some undead.

He was raised and later Pollymorphed into a troll to regenerate his arms and ears. He remains that way now.
( I think they used a limited wish+polymorph other+raise)

Are you saying that he will, once dispelled be:

a)back to being human???
b) arm and legless????
c)dead because he has no arms and legs

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Is it true that poly other will dispell??

He was raised and later Pollymorphed into a troll to regenerate his arms and ears.

"The subject does not gain the spell-like abilities of its new form. The subject does not gain the supernatural abilities or the extraordinary abilities of the new creature."

He shouldn't have any arms or ears even now :)

The driver looked out his window at the hitchhiker waiting by the side of the road - a man with three ears, no arms, and only one leg.

"'ear, 'ear, 'ear," he declared. "You look 'armless enough. Hop in!"

-Hyp.

Remove ads