D&D General Companion Thread to D&D Survivor: Dragons, Chromatic

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm reminded how much the green dragons' breath weapon and blue dragons' habitat annoy me. All of them annoy me less than just about everything about the metallics.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Why is Rahab included as the only named dragon (bezides the goddess)?
there are also two different versions of yellow dragon but they arent listed seperately

also sad to see rainbow dragon go so soon (though I’m uncertain if this rainbow is the same as the prismatic dragon?)

Last edited:

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Chromatics Dragons have become some of my favorite NPCs to use in campaigns. Currently the group has a Young Purple Dragon with them that they need to help get through a dungeon to destroy the source of a demonic curse that is turning any scaled creature, included said dragon and the party’s Tortle Barbarian, into mindless crystallized husk (kind of like the red lyrium from Dragon Age Inquisition). They are having fun having him crawl along the walls while holding Rogue/Monk of the party and using the dragon’s telepathy as a silent walkie talkie.

JEB

Legend
I'm assuming deep dragons (purple dragons in 4E) will be listed under the "renegade" category? Since 1E's purple dragons are a different thing.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I think Rainbow Dragon is the chromatic version of the gemstone Prismatic Dragon. I might be wrong, tho.
Rainbow Dragon is from Dragon #146, "The Dragon's Bestiary" article. Prismatic Dragons are Epic Dragons from the Epic Level Handbook for 3.0E; I was only able to find three of them, and they're in their own grouping, as that's how 3.0E defined them.

RealAlHazred

I'm assuming deep dragons (purple dragons in 4E) will be listed under the "renegade" category? Since 1E's purple dragons are a different thing.
If you check my blog post, which I'm using as a basis, you'll see that's correct!

Since more people are looking at this thread than have ever looked at my blog post, please feel free to offer suggestions or corrections! I'm 100% certain there's at least one I missed!

RealAlHazred

Why is Rahab included as the only named dragon (bezides the goddess)?
Rahab comes from Dragon #062 (June 1982), a two-part article by Pat Reinken providing stats for Ahi, the Steel Dragon, and Rahab, the Grey Dragon. They're two individual dragons that don't fit into the draconic classifications in the 1E Monster Manual, to provide some monkey wrenches for DMs to throw into their games and surprise their players who've memorized the MM! They're decent NPCs IMO, and if I ever ran a dragon-centric campaign I'd probably use them.
there are also two different versions of yellow dragon but they arent listed seperately
In reading the yellow dragon versions in 1E, 2E, and 3.0E/3.5E, they look to be mechanics updates of the original 1E version; the 4E Draconomicon doesn't have a Yellow Dragon. Is there something I missed?

RealAlHazred

I'm actually thinking I'll combine the Epic Dragons and Arcane Dragons lists, since that only makes a total of 5 and I'm pretty sure nobody but me actually likes or cares about any of them!

Remove ads