• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Comparisons of things that both 4E and Pathfinder changed.

N0Man

First Post
From what little I know of Pathfinder, it sounds like they've attempted to improve a lot of the same mechanics from 3.0/3.5 that 4E did. So, I'm curious how some of each of their proposed solutions compare and contrast to one another.

For those of you who prefer Pathfinder, what solution do you think 4E did better than Pathfinder?

For those who prefer 4E, what do you think Pathfinder has done better than 4E?)

I know that they gave Wizards some at-will like abilities like in 4E, made starting hit points higher and the low game less lethal, and tried to weed out dead levels like 4E did, but I really know little else.

Anguish

First Post
I know that they gave Wizards some at-will like abilities like in 4E, made starting hit points higher and the low game less lethal, and tried to weed out dead levels like 4E did, but I really know little else.

Mostly the at-wills got nerfed. You still get up to four cantrips at-will but that's about it.

Skill consolidation is the most obviously 4e-style change.

Jadeite

Hero
Skill consolidation is the most obviously 4e-style change.

What about the skill consolidation that happened between 3.0 and 3.5?

Some similarities:
Humans gain a free +2 on one ability of their choice.
The way animal companions work. Instead of putting the animal companion on an animal from the monster manual, you instead put a animal template of your choice on the companion.
Non-magicusers have a lot more options to distribute negative conditions.
More options for standard actions like vital strike as well as swift/minor actions.
Save or Die/Save or Suck effects have been nerfed.
Staying in class is rewarded by the system.
No permanent level drain.
No XP costs.
The 'marking' of enemies. Ranger's quarry, Paladin's Smite Evil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads