D&D 5E Cone spell x Sfear spell

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I am not sure what you mean by "sfear".

Can you name the spells that you are asking about?

Generally, yes, a 15' cone spell will be able to reach a person standing directly on top of a 15' sphere's point of origin from outside the sphere. That's because a person takes up space, and a point of origin does not. However, some spells can block other spells.

Scorpio616

First Post
Generally, yes, a 15' cone spell will be able to reach a person standing directly on top of a 15' sphere's point of origin from outside the sphere. That's because a person takes up space, and a point of origin does not. However, some spells can block other spells.
One issue is the PHB rules did not seem specific on if someone had to be merely touched by an area, or if a certain percent of the target had to be in the area. The DMG's grid rules specify for circles, but remain silent for cones and other area types.

If an area of effect is circular and covers at least half a square, it affects that square.

So it's really up to the DM if someone half in the cone's edge would be affected.

blastmap.PNG

Scorpio616

First Post
Grid rules might add a complication or two.
And an ill defined one at that!

The area of effect of a spell, monster ability, or other feature must be translated onto squares or hexes to determine which potential targets are in the area and which aren't.

Choose an intersection of squares or hexes as the point of origin of an area of effect, then follow its rules as normal.
Because "must be translated onto squares or hexes" will be read by some as the area has to become squares like 3E's bizarrely shaped "cones", while others, like myself, will read it as only the point of origin has to align to the grid, then the area is shaped just as gridless.

This topic is actually a GREAT example of the literal corner cases the grid rules present. EDIT: on further reading, the cone can easily nail the person in the center from any angle Here the intersection placement of the 15' radius's point of origin makes all the difference as to which angles the attacker's cone can hit from.

blastgrid issues 1t3.PNG

Last edited:

Boson

First Post
A spell’s effect expands in straight lines from the point of origin.
I'm using square grid.
Spirit guardians. Range: self (15 foot radius) - I suppose that is sphere.

I asked becouse my cleric died in a situation like this last grid postes by scorpio616.

I almost "kill" the DM!!!

Scorpio616

First Post
I'm using square grid.
Are you sure the group is actually using the square grid rules, or does there just happen to be a battlemat underneath the play area. There can be differing levels of how 'hard grid' a DM runs things. Are you marking intersections of origin for area effects and light radii? Because for groups I play in, the square mat is just there to help measure distance, not to cage folks into individual squares.

I asked because my cleric died in a situation like this last grid posted by scorpio616.
Sounds about right. 15' cone that starts in front of someone is going to clip you just enough while the attacker will be just outside your self centered 15' radius.

Spirit guardians is a potent spell, but it's also a most literal glowing target on the character.

Last edited:

Remove ads