• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Cone spell x Sfear spell

Shiroiken

Legend
Are you sure the group is actually using the square grid rules, or does there just happen to be a battlemat underneath the play area. There can be differing levels of how 'hard grid' a DM runs things. Are you marking intersections of origin for area effects and light radii? Because for groups I play in, the square mat is just there to help measure distance, not to cage folks into individual squares.
QFT! My group uses Roll20, but the grid is just a guideline. Anything broken down to less than 5' is at the discretion of the DM (who hopefully apples a generous helping of common sense). Some of our areas may be slightly different than listed in the book (since Roll20 measures from the center of each square for point of origin), but it works out for us.

I suggest the OP talk to the DM and figure out how they run the grid rules. If it's fast and loose, don't worry about it, and think less of a grid and more of common sense. If it's strict, then learn the exact nature they are used (3E has the best grid mechanics that translate to 5E, IME, so many DMs seem to use those).

Scorpio616

First Post
For even more grid abuse, fire the cone at an angle that isn't directly targeting the center of the sphere.
DOH! GOOD CATCH!!! And that's not grid abuse in any way.

A cone extends in a direction you choose from it's point of origin.

There is no stipulation the cone's direction must be in line with the center dot of the caster's base.

Disregard that "10 pounds of Nope" in image #2 Boson, yes, the 15 foot cone most certainly can get you from any side of the sphere. Only spherical areas have the half in stipulation, so yeah, those cones hit you fair and square.

blastgrid issues4.PNG

Stay frosty!

Last edited:

Scorpio616

First Post
The grid was made in MSpaint, each square is 96x96 pixels wide.
The critters were sprites copy & pasted from the final fantasy game wiki.
The cone shape was made in MSpaint.
The ice fractal was taken from a web page allegedly hosting public domain images. Some artists are particular about their work being used on the web, since I'd be posting this on commercial sites like Enworld and Facebook, I wanted to make sure the fractal was a free to use anywhere image.
I then pasted the cone shape over the fractal in MS paint.

Attachments

• 5E cone.PNG
    5E cone.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 302
  • 96x96 grid.PNG
    96x96 grid.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

Remove ads