Constables of the 14th Ward Part 2

Scotley

Hero
OOC: The rodents weren't trouble they were breakfast, just ask Bo! :lol:

The journey across the city proves mostly uneventful. The ride on the Understreets to the 2nd being the most harrowing part. The stroll along the peaceful streets of the 2nd is pleasant enough and soon you find yourself at the door of the Lyman residence. A sobbing Mrs. Lyman awaits her husband. She is too excited about having her Krado back that she hardly acknowledges the Constables. You note that the city services in the 2nd are somewhat lax. Quite a collection of trash--empty bottles, boxes from dressmakers, cheese rinds, food crates and other debris has accumulated at the curb. If you didn't know better you'd think someone had been throwing parties and going on a shopping spree. Another edge of your seat ride later and the Constables are back on home turf.

Fenris

Adventurer
Helfdan said:
Alarion looks curiously at Jonas. "The villanous druid and his befurred, befanged horde, my friend. Meseems you need some rest, good ranger!"

OOC: Ah, I remember now, vaguely. I wasn't too embedded at that point truely which is why I didn't recall it.

Leif

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC] Those rodents were the very first encounter of the campaign. Seems like ages ago to me. It hasn't really been all that long ago, I suppose, since Scott and I were first putting together the ideas for Lauralie Summerhome, but it would seem very odd to me now to run a game in any other setting than the world of Tara.[/sblock]

By the time the Alphas return to their office, things have quieted down again. Ignatious Ironshirt is out of sight in his office, but his presence is evindenced by the occasional loud grumble or scowl heard through the door. And Elke Weiss is busying herself conducting the more tedious, pedestrian chores of running the 14th Ward, mostly answering citizen complaints about late rubbish pick-ups, missed mail, etc. When you arrive back in the office, Elke looks up and smiles broadly. "Now, I know that you boys know in your hearts that Magistrate Ironshirt really loves you..... deep down..... even if he isn't usually able to show it..... Elke shrugs. But, anyway, while you've been gone, I've been talking your squad up to him very much, telling him what a good job you've been doing, how everyone in the Ward is so Thankful that you're our protectors, and everything. So.... today he relented. He gave all the Alphas, even you Constable Talisker, a full week's vacation with pay! You're all officially off the clock as of right now [it's 1:30 pm on Monday], and due back here early next Monday morning." Elke beams up at Darius. "Of course you don't all have to stay away from the office for the entire week. In fact, it'd be nice to see you occasionally, perhaps for lunch?

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Moru Sen, human conjurer

xedr said:
[highlight]"Say, Moru, while I'm thinking about it, maybe you can tell me if there's anything to that mumbo-jumbo about my cool new tatoo"[/highlight] says Darius, quickly distancing himself from the stage.

"More than happy to," Moru says. As Darius exposes the tatoo, Moru chitters and Retbi makes his way from the wizard's backpack to his shoulder. Some soft muttering in Sylvanoptera, and both wizard and familiar's eyes glow softly for a moment before Moru begins studying the tattoo, conferring with Retbi in their private language.

[sblock=OOC]Casting Detect Magic, then I figure we're not in a time or stress crunch, so Retbi should be able to take 10 on his Aid Another Spellcraft check (total 20). That gives Moru an extra +2 on his check. That gives Moru a base of +16 on his check. Again, with no stresses I believe he can decide to take the extra time to take 20 and learn as much as he can: Total 36 for regular schools, 38 for conjuration (specialty), 31 for enchantment or necromancy (prohibited schools).[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Moru, Darius, and the Tattoo

[sblock=Moru/Darius]The first thing Moru notices is that the tattoo is, indeed, magical. The applicable spellcraft check is the 36, because the emanations from the tattoo are Abjuration and Transmutation. The effects of the tattoo are as follows: When combatting any orcs (only) who are NOT Greasy Boys, the tattoo grants Darius a +3 Deflection bonus to AC. The downside is that if Darius knowingly takes any action that is harmful (physically or otherwise) to the interests of the Greasy Boy tribe, then Darius will immediately sprout pointy elf ears and suffer a -1 penalty to all saving throws. Moru senses that these ill effects could be remedied with the application of a Remove Curse spell, but the actual tattoo itself would not be erased completely by that spell. Rather, the Remove Curse would likely cause it to fade like the tats on a 60-year-old biker.

Oh, and Retbi still just doesn't like the tattoo, he thinks it should be scratch and snif.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Moru Sen, human conjurer

Leif said:
[sblock=Moru/Darius]The first thing Moru notices is that the tattoo is, indeed, magical. The applicable spellcraft check is the 36, because the emanations from the tattoo are Abjuration and Transmutation. The effects of the tattoo are as follows: When combatting any orcs (only) who are NOT Greasy Boys, the tattoo grants Darius a +3 Deflection bonus to AC. The downside is that if Darius knowingly takes any action that is harmful (physically or otherwise) to the interests of the Greasy Boy tribe, then Darius will immediately sprout pointy elf ears and suffer a -1 penalty to all saving throws. Moru senses that these ill effects could be remedied with the application of a Remove Curse spell, but the actual tattoo itself would not be erased completely by that spell. Rather, the Remove Curse would likely cause it to fade like the tats on a 60-year-old biker.

Oh, and Retbi still just doesn't like the tattoo, he thinks it should be scratch and snif.[/sblock]

Moru begins mumbling as he uses his magical vision to examine the tatoo.

"Certainly this is built to help you against enemy orc tribes; the magics here will make it much harder for non-Greasy Boy orcs to hit you."

A sharp chittering from Retbi interrupts the wizard, as the weasel familiar tugs at his master's ears.

"I'm getting to that!" he hisses to Retbi, swatting the tiny feet away.

"The downside, I'm afraid, is that if you happen to act in a way contrary to Greasy interests--and I'm not entirely sure what the spells here might interpret as falling in that category--the magic will both weaken and rather spitefully rearrange your ears into a telltale elfin configuration. I can only assume the latter is an easy means for Greasies to identify that you've been unfaithful to your vow.

"I'm fairly certain Brae might be able to eliminate the magics with a curse removal prayer. Of course, I expect you'll lose the benefits along with the risks, and I can't speak to the longevity of the mundane inks themselves."

Rhun

First Post
jkason said:
"I'm fairly certain Brae might be able to eliminate the magics with a curse removal prayer. Of course, I expect you'll lose the benefits along with the risks, and I can't speak to the longevity of the mundane inks themselves."[/color]

At Moru's words, Brae moves to inspect that tatoo himself. After a few moments he nods. "I can certainly attempt a remove curse prayer. I don't have the proper magics prepared at this time, though. If you would like to go this route, perhaps we could meet tomorrow morning, and I can ensure I have the proper magics at the ready."

Leif

Adventurer
Retbi, for Moru

[sblock=Chitter, Chitter, Chitter]"Awww, come on boss, at least let me try the scratch 'n' snif thing!? I won't do any permanent damage...probably"[/sblock]

xedr

First Post
OOC: hmm, previous post lost. 2nd try:

[highlight]"Although I mislike a two-edged gift, I believe that the Greasy Boys' interests align closely with those of the city, and thus I have nothing to fear from the adverse side of this tattoo. However, if that should ever change, I will immediately seek to have the tattoo nullified along with the bargain it represents."[/highlight] says Darius, cautiously feeling the shape of his ears and attempting (without much success) to examine them in a nearby mirror.

[sblock=ooc]Darius intends to spend the first couple days of his vacation counting his money, re-equipping, and getting in some target practice at the archery range. However, he doesn't want to wait a whole week to start gathering info on the Blue Basilisk weapons people to see if he can link them to the bloody moonies. Oh yeah, he also has a bone to pick with Theodorus Thornapple. If anybody else seems interested, Darius will invite them to meet up with him on Wednesday to go information gathering.[/sblock]

Remove ads