• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Constables of the 14th Ward Part 3

Leif

Adventurer
Ignatius Ironshirt

Iggy listened to Jonas's report in a perfunctory manner, as usual, while scarfing down crumpets and tea. As Jonas finished, Iggy looked somewhat cross for a moment. "You say you're going BACK outside the 14th to do some investigating work? And just HOW does this pertain to keeping the peace here in the Ward? I'm sure you must have explained that, but I somehow missed it. Care to try again?"

Jonas also noticed a stack of flyers beside Iggy's desk -- "Re-Elect Ironshirt Magistrate of the 14th Ward. A proven record we can all be proud of!" Perhaps this could explain Iggy's momentary lack of curmudgeonliness?

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Iggy listened to Jonas's report in a perfunctory manner, as usual, while scarfing down crumpets and tea. As Jonas finished, Iggy looked somewhat cross for a moment. "You say you're going BACK outside the 14th to do some investigating work? And just HOW does this pertain to keeping the peace here in the Ward? I'm sure you must have explained that, but I somehow missed it. Care to try again?"

Jonas smiled. This was the Iggy he expected and knew how to handle.

"Well Master Ignacious. If you have a flood in the city do you do your best to give everyone buckets to bail water and do nothing else? Or do you investigate the source of the flooding, determine it's cause and seek to preevnt it in the future? That is all we are doing Sir. Seeking the headwaters if you will of the troubles in the 14th. Surely you wish us to prevent trouble in your esteemed Ward by rooting out the evil before it has a chance to even enter yes? Or woudl you have us run around and respond once the evil is here?" replies Jonas supressing a grin as he tossed another crumpet to Bruno.

Leif

Adventurer
Ignatius Ironshirt

Jonas smiled. This was the Iggy he expected and knew how to handle.

"Well Master Ignacious. If you have a flood in the city do you do your best to give everyone buckets to bail water and do nothing else? Or do you investigate the source of the flooding, determine it's cause and seek to preevnt it in the future? That is all we are doing Sir. Seeking the headwaters if you will of the troubles in the 14th. Surely you wish us to prevent trouble in your esteemed Ward by rooting out the evil before it has a chance to even enter yes? Or woudl you have us run around and respond once the evil is here?" replies Jonas supressing a grin as he tossed another crumpet to Bruno.
Iggy paused while he pretended to listen to what Jonas was saying. "What I would expect in the case of a flood like you mentioned, is that those civil servants who LIVE there would take the lead in repairing the dikes. I wouldn't even imagine that those folk outside the walls of Lauralie Summerhome are in such dire straits that they are forced to lean upon the constables of the 14th to do their work for them! I've not heard a word from any other city officials about this situation, so I am not quite willing to totally accept that the need is so great that MY Bronze Badges must get into the thick of it! It doesn't sound terribly safe, either! Are you lot being careful enough? I can't count noses with just you here, how does the rest of the Squad fare?"

Fenris

Adventurer
Iggy paused while he pretended to listen to what Jonas was saying. "What I would expect in the case of a flood like you mentioned, is that those civil servants who LIVE there would take the lead in repairing the dikes. I wouldn't even imagine that those folk outside the walls of Lauralie Summerhome are in such dire straits that they are forced to lean upon the constables of the 14th to do their work for them! I've not heard a word from any other city officials about this situation, so I am not quite willing to totally accept that the need is so great that MY Bronze Badges must get into the thick of it! It doesn't sound terribly safe, either! Are you lot being careful enough? I can't count noses with just you here, how does the rest of the Squad fare?"

"Carefull Master Ignacious, or someone may think you have a heart and actually care about your Constables" reples Jonas with a large grin.

"Yes, it is dangerous, which is why we returned to ensure we have the proper equipment. But we have all the noses we left with, and and extra one so have no worries there. And you know you can't keep a Bronze out of danger, we crave it, the 14th is a little too peaceful at times for us." adds Jonas with a wink.

"But we want to keep it that way. And you must trust your elite Alphas and our judgement as to how to keep the peace best. It is, in my opinion, I shall not speak for the others without them being here, in the best interests for the safety and security of the 14th, imperative that we return to the mill. And if you cannot trust that judgement, I can only offer to return my badge as a token of disagreement." says Jonas very solemnly

Leif

Adventurer
Ignatius Ironshirt

"Carefull Master Ignacious, or someone may think you have a heart and actually care about your Constables" reples Jonas with a large grin.
"Yes, it is dangerous, which is why we returned to ensure we have the proper equipment. But we have all the noses we left with, and and extra one so have no worries there. And you know you can't keep a Bronze out of danger, we crave it, the 14th is a little too peaceful at times for us." adds Jonas with a wink.
"But we want to keep it that way. And you must trust your elite Alphas and our judgement as to how to keep the peace best. It is, in my opinion, I shall not speak for the others without them being here, in the best interests for the safety and security of the 14th, imperative that we return to the mill. And if you cannot trust that judgement, I can only offer to return my badge as a token of disagreement." says Jonas very solemnly
"You are trying my patience in the extreme, Constable Kewiczak, and that's a fact! Granted, you lot are given great discretion in your methods of peacekeeping, but to have the resources of the voting public of the 14th SQUANDERED on some 'mill' that's within the purview of a sheriff of a different jurisdiction makes me think that maybe I should just accept your offer and be done with you!" Clearly, Iggy is calling Jonas's 'bluff' here, and he fully expects him to relent, kowtow, and smooch his hindparts.

Fenris

Adventurer
"You are trying my patience in the extreme, Constable Kewiczak, and that's a fact! Granted, you lot are given great discretion in your methods of peacekeeping, but to have the resources of the voting public of the 14th SQUANDERED on some 'mill' that's within the purview of a sheriff of a different jurisdiction makes me think that maybe I should just accept your offer and be done with you!" Clearly, Iggy is calling Jonas's 'bluff' here, and he fully expects him to relent, kowtow, and smooch his hindparts.

"Squandered? Sqaundered!" calls out Jonas indignatly. "We have discovered the lair of the group of orcs that has been inflitrating the 14th Ward and commiting many crimes here and you say it is squandering! I don't care if the Great King of the High Mountain has jurisdiction over that damn Mill. That Mill is the source of much trouble and evil in this ward and I'll be damned if I stand by and let it fester and harbor evil merely because of a pecularity of geography. I joined the Alpha's to protect and serve the people of this Ward, and I intend to do that." says Jonas standing ans tossing his badge and truncheon onto the desk as he whistles for Bruno and heads out of the office.

Leif

Adventurer
Ignatius Ironshirt?

Iggy is dumbstruck by Jonas's tirade and for once in his life is also speechless. As Jonas storms out of the office, Elke has the look of someone who has just had a death in her family, and fears that she may be next.

"Elke?" calls Ignatius Ironshirt. Where is that file of applicants to be Bronze Badges? Looks like the hiring freeze is over."

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Jonas heads out and his feet take him towards the Polished Staff. He is still angry and upset, but he needs to say goodbye to his friends before he leaves.

Mattie greets him as he enters and he gives her a weak smile. Jonas heads to the Special Squad room but stops with Bruno at the door. He looks in at his friends and former team mates and begins to doubt his decision and rash actions.

But he has always accepted his own fate and though this was hard he had to do it.

From the doorway, he wasn't an Alpha, he couldn't enter, he addressed his friends. "Something has........arisen my friends. I must take my leave of you and the Constabulary. I know you will carry on well without me, but my path lies elsewhere. Thank you all." he says as he turns and givng Mattie a hug, leaves the Polished Staff and the 14th Ward.

Helfdan

First Post
Alarion had just started to relax - which he somehow seems able to do in full armor - when Jonas storms in, makes his announcement, and leaves... all before anyone can react. "By my Troth! Did I hear him correctly, my friends, or was this a phantom summoned by one of our enemies to torment us?" Somehow he manages to avoid spilling his ale.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
SoulFetter

SoulFetter, caught with his double-sized 'pint' halfway to his mouth, freezes as he looks after his departing friend. The expression on his face is an uncomfortable mixture of puzzlement and sadness.

How can he abandon his tribe, especially when our need for him is great? It is Jonas, so there must be cause, but still . . . he could have asked us for help with whatever's come up.

He lowers his ale to the table and sits for a few moments before a look of determination crosses his features and he resumes eating.

Remove ads