• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Contacting WotC about past products?

I wrote a handful of Living City adventures 20-25 years ago, and I'm hoping to see if I can purchase a copy somehow from Wizards. After looking through their site, I haven't found a means to appropriately contact them for this. Does anyone have pointers as to how to do that?

R_J_K75

Legend
I think it was the 5E PHB that people were complaining about the binding on Amazon. Check the comments section for that product and there may be information pretty early into the comments on contacting WotC because they were offering replacements iirc. Might be a start?

EvilBeeker

Explorer
I wrote a handful of Living City adventures 20-25 years ago, and I'm hoping to see if I can purchase a copy somehow from Wizards. After looking through their site, I haven't found a means to appropriately contact them for this. Does anyone have pointers as to how to do that?
Baron, I doubt Wizards has them. So much of what was written back then was either lost or dumped. Especially if it was on the old TSR mainframe. I used to get contacted all the time for these requests (i.e. former tournament coordinator 😉). Unfortunately, it seems Wizards was never very interested in preserving some of that classic stuff the RPGA did prior to 3rd Edition.

Do some Googleing, I know there was a Reddit thread awhile ago on this same topic, and old time players and DMs were scanning what they had and putting it up for download. I know there is a large Living Jungle archive out there, so I’m guessing there is an LC one as well.

Good Luck!
KM. 😎

darjr

I crit!
I’d be surprised if they didn’t have them. Releasing them is a whole nother story. I wish they would and pinging drive thru and WotC might convince them. It would be new old school things to put on the DMsGuild.

EvilBeeker

Explorer
I’d be surprised if they didn’t have them. Releasing them is a whole nother story. I wish they would and pinging drive thru and WotC might convince them. It would be new old school things to put on the DMsGuild.
Unless authors kept a copy, tournaments were kept on the TSR mainframe or on 3” floppy disks. My guess is they are gone. From what I heard no one took the time to preserve them.

In addition, the legal standing on some tournaments is sketchy. Anything written prior to the RPGA paying $30 per round the authors can lay claim, while the creative rights on the contract-paid events may have already expired (there was a time limit). Re-publishing anything today would likely have to follow the “rules” as they currently stand, but I’m pretty sure Wizards cannot claim full rights to this material to just release it online. The RPGA contracts as written back then never accounted for anything like the selling venues we have today. I don’t think Wizards would want to save anything they didn’t own outright, let alone amateur tournaments written 25 years ago formatted in WordPerfect 5.1. 😉

My guess is Baron is just looking for a copy of his long lost work, and would have a better chance finding it in one of the Living archives out there. Or, if you know where the event may have been run you might be able to track down some of the RPGA staff from those shows who may have saved a copy.

😎

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Which adventures? A buddy of mine hunts down old copies of RPGA modules, and he might have access to the ones you're looking for.

Remove ads