Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
What kind of CR adjustment do you think we're looking at?

A nagahydra is CR 18, has 18 HD, a similar number of attacks (but employs 1d12 Con damage poison with each bite, which makes a big difference), fast healing 15, and casts as a 15th-level sorcerer.

Compare to our fella, which has 19 HD, much less poison, caster level 12th, fast healing 5, damage reduction 5/good, and the subspecies-specific powers.

Also, a very powerful ability of the nagahydra we might want to borrow here:

"A nagahydra can cast one spell per round per head, but all spells come from the common pool of spells available."

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I do like the multiple head casting. That would grant a pretty serious CR boost. Perhaps CR +6? That gives us a CR 14 dark master naga, which seems pretty appropriate. Maybe +7 if we give it the multiple head casting.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That all sounds fair. I'd say do a sample nagahydra, but that's not core. :p I don't know that we need another sample, but that doesn't mean I'd object too strenuously to one.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Applying that to a nagahydra is just plain cruel. :devil:

That reminds me, though, that we need to add an underbar explaining what to do with non-core master nagas.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Would a nagahydra just get 2 extra heads, or would it have 7 heads for each head? :p

The underbar is a good idea. Phrase it along the lines of noncore half-dragons, I guess.

Shade

Monster Junkie
By the guidelines of the template, I don't believe it could be added to a nagahydra, as it is not actually a "naga" in the truest sense. But I'd imagine you could go either way as a DM. :)

Here's a stab at the underbar...

Master Nagas from Other Sources
The master naga template lists unique attacks and defenses for the core nagas found in the SRD. If you are using nagas from other sources, simply create a single unique attack and unique defense thematically approrpriate for your naga.

For example, a master iridescent naga (Serpent Kingdoms) might gain a unique attack that function similar to a prismatic spray, and a unique defense that reflects spells back at their enemies. A mighty ha-naga (Epic Level Handbook) might gain a dominating gaze as a unique attack, and perhaps a displacement unique defense similar to a displacer beast.

Although it is a bit of a stretch, a truly enterprising (or sadistic) DM might apply the template to a nagahydra (Serpent Kingdoms). In this case, the nagahydra would gain an additional 7 heads, and might gain the breath weapon of a pyrohydra or cryhoydra as its unique attack, and the associated Cold or Fire subtype as its unique defense.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
That sidebar looks good! The nagahydra mention is pretty funny. Turning it into a pyro or cyro hydra! That's not a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads