• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting the Dukes of Hell

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, BOZ has been having computer problems at home, from where he usually visits ENWorld. I've kept a bunch of stuff going while he's gone, but this and the overhaul thread are his "babies", so I didn't want to proceed without him.

I'll shoot him an e-mail and see how things are going.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ sent his blessing to continue this thread.

However, before we do too much work, I'd like to see which Dukes get the treatment is this month's "online Dragon" so as to not duplicate effort.

Kain Darkwind

Explorer
Shade said:
BOZ sent his blessing to continue this thread.

However, before we do too much work, I'd like to see which Dukes get the treatment is this month's "online Dragon" so as to not duplicate effort.

Do we know that more Dukes ARE getting a treatment in that zombie corpse?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Kain Darkwind said:
Do we know that more Dukes ARE getting a treatment in that zombie corpse?

Yeah, but all we know is as follows:

Dragon #361The November/December issue of Dragon is here! This issue will feature even more detailed 4th Edition coverage, on everything from dwarves to bulettes. We'll also be featuring a crossover between the Exemplars of Evil and Elder Evils supplements to prepare you for Dungeon #152's "Essence of Evil" adventure, more members of the Infernal Aristocracy, more Realmslore and Expeditionary Dispatches, and a new Ecology. Plus, coming in December, a new D&D Insider Presents cartoon, featuring a pair of creatures who've undergone quite a change of scenery in the new edition.

FWIW, I've got another batch of epic beasties to covert to hold us over for awhile. I'll post 'em shortly.

Kain Darkwind

Explorer
Well, the first thing that stands out immediately....

These Dukes aren't being compared to the Demonomicon demon prince stats. Many of them have as many HD as Graz'zt or Demogorgon. So unless we are operating off the idea that Lords of Hell >>>>> Demon Princes, this provides a bad level of comparison.

A few other things....despite being largely an oversized pit fiend, Hutijin is weaker than the weakest possible Huge size pit fiend, and weaker than an average Large sized pit fiend. His natural attacks deal much less damage than the 3.5 pit fiend. His spell-likes are also weaker.

Basically, I don't know if Enworld should use the Digital Dragon's stats for Dukes of Hell. They don't seem to be designed taking the other major baddie stats from Dragon into any consideration. Or even the Monster Manual's.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Kain Darkwind said:
Basically, I don't know if Enworld should use the Digital Dragon's stats for Dukes of Hell. They don't seem to be designed taking the other major baddie stats from Dragon into any consideration. Or even the Monster Manual's.

Agreed. We need to try to fit them into the power hierarchy presented by FC I and II.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Getting back to Nergal...

BOZ had him begged at 28 HD.

Abilities: We will use the divine array of 35, 28, 25, 24, 24, 24, plus adding one ability point per four Hit Dice, and borrowing liberally as we see fit. Many lords will end up with one score under 20.

Maybe...

Str 38, Dex 22, Con 29, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 30?

Remove ads