Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

Michael Morris

First Post
InFocus IN26 model. Bought the bulb warranty - totaled out at $1200

I ended up mounting the thing on the corner rack my computer uses. This however causes the projector to tremble slightly when I'm typing or using the mouse on the stand. The way I have it set up though I can take the projector out of the cradle and use it to play movies as it was originally intended for :)

I'm using a table I caught at Big Lots for $20. I took the table legs off and set it on the box my printer came in to get it low enough to the ground to get an image that covers my whole hex map. Incidently I bought a new laser printer (I'm spending my WotC check on D&D related toys :p - Only appropriate way to spend the money methinks :) )

Steel_Wind

Legend
New projector! Post pics man - get em in! :)

New Laser printer? Hmm.

On the subject of laser printers, I just wanted to point out that you can grab a Samsung monochrome laser for about $50 after rebate - and it's a great printer. I'm really pleased with mine.

The big news over the next 18 months though is color lasers. The prices are about to dip south of $300 for a full color, high resolution laser printer. With refilled cartridges, the consumable cost hits about $.05 to $.07 a page - or approximately twice to thrice that of monochrome laser.

Minolta's Magicolor 2400W color laser is already available for $260 ish if you look around.

High quality, full color laser for cheap?

That - as they say - changes all the rules.

Michael Morris

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
New projector! Post pics man - get em in! :)

New Laser printer? Hmm.

On the subject of laser printers, I just wanted to point out that you can grab a Samsung monochrome laser for about $50 after rebate - and it's a great printer. I'm really pleased with mine.

The big news over the next 18 months though is color lasers. The prices are about to dip south of $300 for a full color, high resolution laser printer. With refilled cartridges, the consumable cost hits about $.05 to $.07 a page - or approximately twice to thrice that of monochrome laser.

Minolta's Magicolor 2400W color laser is already available for $260 ish if you look around.

High quality, full color laser for cheap?

That - as they say - changes all the rules.
Mine is $100 after rebate with 3 year warranty. It's a Lexmark - I have friends who work in that company so I tend to buy their stuff when I can.

jwfitt

Explorer
Multi-functional projector

Hey Steel Wind (or any other gurus),

Don't want to trouble you, but your projector mapping project really re-ignited my interest in running D&D games.

I'm getting ready to start a new game up and was looking to get a projector that could actually multi-task...
I want a projector for mapping use and other "on-table" displays during our gaming sessions.
But, I also would like it to double as a nice home theater projector.

My brain hurts from the hours of research I've been doing, but alot of people seem to think that too many lumens can be bad for home theater use (which makes sense if the darks are too birght), but at the same time I want to be able to view a movie during the day w/ some ambient light, and I most certainly want to have some low lighting on when we game.

Another problem I haven't really seen mentioned is mounting for this purpose. Have you heard/read anything about very adjustable ceiling mounts that would allow you to project downwards (with aminimal angle), and then re-adjust to say, project on the opposite wall?

I'm looking to spend $2,000-$3,000 and hope to find something that will last me a long time (what would you go for with that budget and my intentions?).

Forever grateful if you could help me out!

Edit: Right now this Epson Cinema 550 is at the top of my list
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Cinema_550.htm
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/cinema550/index.asp

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
I don't think too many lumens is that bad for home theatre. I think that high lumen output projectors are expensive and consumer home theatre is perceived as being desireable at a lower price point. A lot of this is spin.

The main complaint seems to relate to blacks not being very "black" at high ANSI output on DLP units. Meh. If you are just coming to digital projection, this sort of videophile worry is not going to be YOUR worry. Really - it isn't.

For a very darkened room viewed at night time, some of the newer projectors have a "movie mode" which dims the light even more to 1000 or a little less. To be honest - I think it's a bit of a crock. I use my XGA projector *mainly* for home theatre use. It's about 1650 ANSI. I'd prefer if it was 2200 or so for gaming use. For movies? It rocks. Would I want it dimmer for my 100" screen? No. I would not. I've had an 800 ANSI projector for movies. I thought it sucked after a while. That's my opinion.

I also use my projector for sports - principally hockey. I like it bright, thanks.

The problem with high lumen output for gaming projectors is when you go high - 2500+ on a short range throw and people are looking at the image on the tabletop. That can be a little much for the eyes depending on ambient light in the room and your projection surface. (These projectors are not designed to be viewed from a distance of a few feet, generally). Economode on most projectors solves this.

If you've got 2-3k to spend - you've got a lot for a projector. Probably much more than you need. Post a few things you are looking at and I'm happy to comment on a specific units.

XGA DLP or - at that price - even SXGA is possible.

Remove ads