• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

DonTadow

First Post
Ok, next week I'm looking at purchasing. What to get still remains the question.

These are several that I am looking at.

Acer PD 120D - DLP projector - 2000 ANSI lumens - XGA - 1024 x 768 - EY.J2201.012
http://www.buy.com/prod/Acer_PD_120...4_x_768_EY_J2201_012/q/loc/441/202192889.html

BenQ MP620p Digital Projector - DLP - XGA 1024 x 768 - 16.7 Million Colors (24-bit) - 2200 Lumens - Manual Zoom - MP620P
http://www.buy.com/prod/BenQ_MP620p..._16_7_Million_Colors/q/loc/441/202785118.html

ViewSonic PJ656
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=895618

InFocus IN26
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=927555

From what I've read so far I should be ok
These are the neccessary specs from what i under from reading through the thread
XGA for really clear pics (still not sure HOW neccessary this is. I use a lot of detailed dunjinni and O0ne maps)
1500:1 contrast to really bring out the blacks
1300+ LUmens so that you dont have to play in the dark
Throw range of less than 5'

The part I'm stuck on is the rigging. I think the portable boom mike/lighting rig is the best. The contraption that holds the projector onto the rig. How easy is that to make? I'm not the handy man nor have many tools. Is that something that can be bought? That can be made if someone was paid to?

Also programs, Its been a year since I've seen anyone talk about programs. This new battlegrounds fantasy sounds pretty cool. But I"m also looking at Fantasy Grounds and Klooge. VIsually I like Fantasy Grounds better, but its almost a bit "too" much stuff considering I already have a pretty good content management program. What does the experts recommend on that?

DonTadow

First Post
just curious about another thing. Why choose a projector over say, an lcd screen lay'ed flat on the table, something large say about 32 inches to 36 inches. You can find refurbed ones for 1,000 dollars which is about the price of an projector and the rigging.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
DonTadow said:
just curious about another thing. Why choose a projector over say, an lcd screen lay'ed flat on the table, something large say about 32 inches to 36 inches. You can find refurbed ones for 1,000 dollars which is about the price of an projector and the rigging.

2 things come to mind rght away - first, you'll scratch up the LCD screen with minis, etc; you'll run the risk of spilling soda on the screen and shorting it out. Secondly, you can adjust the size of the image on the projector to match a battlemat very easily so that your scale isn't absolute and unchangeable.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
DonTadow said:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2273347&Sku=V25-3702

I think in the nearly 2 years since the thread started LCD TVs had come into being a better option for those happy with a roughly 30"-36"" play area. Higher pixel counts than XGA with a much longer set life. (at least 20 times longer).

They are flatter than CRTs but still fairly thick. If we used one we'd probably build a custom table with a cut out to fit the monitor.

As a fan of huge play area it's not even close still. With a wide-angle presentation projector we have a 64" diagonal image (38"x51") which could be larger if we lowered the 5'x8.5' table.

Considering a standard battle map is maybe 34"x40" and a 52" diagonal while the above LCD is roughly 18"x32" (37") you could run out of space quickly.

I'm not going to account for spoilage and scratches on the screen since you probably want to cover it with clear plastic or glass to prevent damage to the monitor.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Kid Charlemagne said:
you can adjust the size of the image on the projector to match a battlemat very easily so that your scale isn't absolute and unchangeable.

To account for this can you build to map to match the absolute resolution (since it doesn't change). For example a 37" monitor at 1366 x 768 native resolution might have roughly 40 pixels to the inch. So that's what you make the map at.

Alternately some use Photo/Image programs to display the map which are adjustable rather than adjusting the projector.

Edit: One other consideration is the weight. Shuttling a 60# monitor around the house is more risky than moving around your 5-10# projector which is built more for portability.

Here's a monitor that might get at least one dimension of our projection set-up (the length)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1642848&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Only $8100 and weighing in at 172#. No HDMI or HDCP.

Last edited:

Mean DM

Explorer
jodyjohnson said:
Here's a monitor that might get at least one dimension of our projection set-up (the length)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1642848&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Only $8100 and weighing in at 172#. No HDMI or HDCP.
I just purchased the 50 inch phd9uk for regular TV use and it was a ton cheaper (2300). It is an absolutely gorgeous screen! I am planning on using it for displaying maps once I get through a safe burn in period. Just one word of caution with plasmas of that size. I have heard that the glass can break if stored horizontally, especially 50 inch or greater. IMHO LCDs are a safer bet for this type of use. They are also less susceptible to burn-in and are brighter. But if you still want this bad baby, you can get HDMI and DVI boards for both the 8 and 9 UKs for around 140 extra. There is one open slot, and you can pull out another board for a total of 2 HDMIs.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:

DonTadow

First Post
Hmm, it is interestnig, right now the rigging for it is driving me crazy, Trying to figure out how to get this thing installed so that it will point diagnololy at the table and either be inconspicable or portable.

I'm tempted to use the ceiling mounts and hoist them on the wall, then put the projector at an angle.

DonTadow

First Post
I bought the infocus big x3 and looks good so far. Now i'm looking for a wall mount. I'm leaning on the piemeire universal wall mount. Hopefully it works.

DonTadow

First Post
I'll shoot some pics this friday after the final screws are in. I bought a priemer wall mount i found on sale at wallmart that looks like a spider that attaches to the wall. It is currently on clearance at circuit cities cost 130

Had ahard time finding a studd in my apartment that wasn't metal. I tested the infocus big 3x (XGA, 1028/724 and only)last night and it works great. Really bright and has the ability to do widescreen which was really beneficial. The maps came out clear and the lighting we used is only slightly dimmer than normal. 599 at CDW.

Last night we bought 4 sq yard cover for the table at Joann fabrics for 6 bucks.

We also needed to buy anchors for the screws which cost 2 dollars. One of the players is luckily pretty knowledable of drywall and anchors and helped us shop for it.

I've been real excited by the battlegrounds: RPG program and it shows up nice off the projector. Though there's no masking function, it does allow players to use light sources so that only part of he map is shown and there's a degree of fading based on the light source. Pretty nifty. I"m using dundjinni to make maps.

So far I"m pretty happy with the product. I"m under 750 and I once thought I"d at least spend 1500 on it.

D'karr

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
I'll shoot some pics this friday after the final screws are in.

So far I"m pretty happy with the product. I"m under 750 and I once thought I"d at least spend 1500 on it.

I'd love to see the setup. Were you planning on using this setup for Home Projection also or only for the game setup?

Remove ads