• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

JDragon

Explorer
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Along with working on replacing my projector I'm working on planning / building a custom game table.

My plan is to build it so the TV screen sits level with the top of the table, making sure there is enough room for books, dice and character sheets around the table.

What if any suggestions, pit falls, etc do those that have used TV's in this manner have?

JD

WampusCat43

Explorer
I thought about cutting a hole in the table to fit the TV down in, but thought the chances of screwing up the hole (plus having to support the TV somehow) weren't worth gaining the extra 2". With the plexiglass, the players can put their stuff on top and roll the dice anywhere they like (although I'm seeing a need for some Windex already).

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Thanks for posting the pics, [MENTION=12027]WampusCat43[/MENTION]!

I've been talking to a local cabinetmaker about having a table built, myself, along the same lines. I had imagined something like cargo straps attached to the underside of the table -- two of them, on either side of the hole for the TV. The TV could be slung in them, and the straps could be used to raise or lower the TV.

Here's the ugly sketch I made to tell the guy what I was thinking:
table-sketch.png

I haven't heard from the guy in months, so I don't know that it's going to happen, though. ;) And this idea needs a lot of refinement -- you would want some sort of mechanism that would let the straps be raised and lowered in sync. And there would be an insert that would cover the TV hole. But the strap idea seemed like a great idea to me before I really started looking at the TVs -- I was imagining a much less flat and uniform back, on that needed a very forgiving cradle to rest in.

-rg

JDragon

Explorer
Well I just got the go ahead on getting the TV for this project. :cool:

Now I just need to find the best price I can for a 50' 60' LCD/LED TV. I'm hoping to find an slightly older model so I'm not paying for the newest thing out. Any suggestions on the best place to find one?

I need to get a work space cleaned out in the garage first and then will be building a small table to hold a lamp for my wife's office before I go get started on the table. Which actually works because it will give me a chance to test out some ideas I have for my gaming table.

I've got a basic outline in my head for what I want to do, I'm just working on figuring out how all the parts will go together.

Currently my wife and I are renting but how to buy something in 2-3 years so I need to make sure the table can and will survive a move. I also would like to give it a little flexibility and design it to be used at both coffee and normal table height so I can adjust if the opportunity presents its self to get some couches as I prefer sitting on the couch to game vs at a normal table if I can.

I'm picturing it actually being multiple parts to help with the moving / flexibility.

Going from the bottom up...
Table height extension for legs. (Plus these might add to the stability, see below*)
Coffee table height legs and base.*
Removable frame for holding TV. (this way down the road if I get a different TV I rework/ build this and the top instead of the whole thing) (This will bolt to the coffee table base)
Top with space for TV, I plan to have the TV screen level or just above the rest of the table.** (this will bolt to coffee table base & TV frame)
Cover to go over TV and table top for miniature and board gaming.

* I'm trying to work out how much of an overhang I can have with the table top and not worry about someone putting to much weight on the edge and it flipping? Any thoughts or information on this?

** I'm also trying to work out how much space to build in between the edge of the TV and the edge of the table for players / DM to put their stuff with out covering the TV? I was thinking around 16 inches but I'm not set on this. Any suggestions?

I realize this is not a simple design, but that is just not the way I have done things in the past so why start now? :-D

I hope to share my progress as I go once I get started. Not sure if I will hijack this thread or start a new one.

JD

JDragon

Explorer
Thanks for the thoughts on space for players. I'm also trying to decide if I want to make one end longer for the GM since they have more stuff to keep up with.

That will be the upside of doing my own table, I can do it how I want. :)

Those are some great pics, I can only hope mine looks that nice when I am done with it.

JD

WampusCat43

Explorer
You have to balance how much room to leave the players with the amount of reaching they'll have to do to move their figures. The further away they sit, the harder it is to see exactly what square their fig is on. IMO, I'd rather be right on top of the action. I have a guy who could build me a table like "cyderak's", but once you put your players that far away, you're stuck with it.

apprentice

First Post
wish i could see the links in the original post. none of them open for some reason. :(

if you're going to make a table, i recommend a plasma tv. they have a glass surface, which is easier to clean, and more durable.

something like this would make me lose interest in hirstarts molds... FOREVER. ;)

Remove ads