CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

Aquarius Alodar

First Post
All right, here goes:

Draft one of:

"Fox: I want you to curve the bullet.
Wesley: How am I supposed to do that?
Sloan: It's not a question of how. It's a question of what. If no one told you that bullets flew straight, and I gave you a gun and told you to hit the target, what would you do? Let your instincts guide you."

'The Gibson Trick': Named after one of its most famous practicioners in Coreline, Chicago-based assassin Wesley Gibson, The Trick is the ultimate, what all Gunslingers with Improbable Aiming Skills aspire: to bend reality *just enough* to put the bullet in their target. Regardless of where the target is. Every time.
Even around bystanding objects. Even if the target dodges. Even if it's on an insane angle.

Prerequisites: The Gunslinger 'Bullseye' Class Ability or similar.
Effect: The character must use 2 Action Points to activate The Trick, after which they must select one target (and only one). Their following shot will ignore any bystanding objects and people in the path and hit the target directly, and will turn up to 90 degrees in any direction once to hit the target.
This ability only affects one bullet per use.

After much contemplation......yup, this works. 'Cept that this still cannot be used to get around, say, a Wall of Force spell or some similar effect (Silence Wall, wink-wink nudge-nudge), as you seem to be implying.

Socius

First Post
Yeah, gotta factor that in, too.

What would 'Bullet Time' be, anycase? A (pretty massive) Reflex bonus?

Just some basic vague principles that actual rules experts can code:

From all game interpretations, it would be a temporal effect, combining aspects of Haste and Slow for a limited duration. It wouldn't be as powerful as a Time Stop that's for certain. Active duration would be number of rounds equal to appropriate Hero level.

A feat or advanced level would allow the duration to be extended by an additional round each time the Hero kills an opponent in a manner akin to Great Cleave.

A friend of mine begged me to do something about a TV series that he loved as a kid.

'Ulysses 31'. Dunno really what could be done, although I have an idea about how to stat a couple of Ulysses' gizmos... and the idea of a gigantic (what would it be? 2, 3 miles wide?) ship that looks like a self-propelled eye coming into Earth orbit sounds like a crazy good idea.

Aquarius Alodar

First Post
Time travel.......contrary to what certain sci-fi pieces may have said on the subject, is *not* much used in the tourist industry of Mundi Partum, as the third planet of the Milky Way's Sol system is beginning to be whispered of in certain.....circles. However, some people (like us, maybe?) use either the 853rd century (of various timelines...to prevent Hourman
getting a clue) or the year 802,701 as temporal hideouts.....simply to try and get away from the 'noise pollution' generated by the 'Great Terran Civil War' and its aftermath, as the Hours of Madness are otherwise known. Not just in the context of a sabbatical, of course.

Well.... DC 1 Million is one ark that I didn't quite followed, to tell the truth (I owned Resurrection Man One Mil for a while, but lost it). In that context, you're right, though. Time travel to the future would be easier in Coreline, because after November the Fifth, 200X (the 23 Hours), time travel to the past would go one of two ways:

1) The characters would be visiting an alternate past, what would effectively be Coreline in the 1950s, 1800s, whatever (never truly mind that the vast majority of Fictions roaming around are mostly 20th-Century creations, they still would appear in their respective eras, or have 'similar' ancestors). Travelling from there to the future, depending on how wild the changes, would dump them either in the main timeline or an alternate dimension that was 'born' out of the repercussions.

2) The characters would arrive to the past pre-Vanishing, but unfortunately it would be a Stable Time Loop and they Can't Fight Fate (since the technology to go back to the past is Fiction in the first place, the Vanishing *must* occur for them to go back. It's impossible to destroy or reprogram CLULESS in any major fashion, anyway, by current Coreline tech standards).

Remove ads