• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Countdown to the Realms: Magic in the Forgotten Realms

Mirtek

Hero
RigaMortus2 said:
Same could be said the other way too. Why not ignore the change? If people don't like it, ignore it...
Because it's more difficult to built yourself then to just ignore. Oh, forgot, that's only if something is added that wasn't there in prior D&D, never when something that already was there is taken aways

Sometimes people make it seem as if all they care about is to gloat over what is taken away from other people, absolutely no matter that they never used it themselves and also won't use the replacement. They only seem to be glad that someone else is unhappy.

IanB

First Post
Mirtek said:
Why? What's wrong with just ignoring it? Why has it to be eliminated for anyone else too?

Elimination of the real-world parallelism from FR gives it a better identity of its own. If they want a fantasy Earth, that would be better served by either recycling Mystara or just doing actual fantasy Earth as a setting.

Cyberhawk said:
Aw man...Maztica and the Old Empires were two of my favorite spots in the setting.

Oh well, just means that if/when I start up a 4E FR campaign I just slap Maztica back into the setting. Cuz it's my campaign and I can do that. :)

Or it means that you run a campaign in those portions of Maztica that have suddenly found themselves on Abeir.

HeinorNY

First Post
Mirtek said:
Why? What's wrong with just ignoring it? Why has it to be eliminated for anyone else too?
Ignore Pocahontas and Hernán Cortés? Nah, it must be eliminated like it has never existed in the first place.

Maztica.PNG

Mirtek said:
Sometimes people make it seem as if all they care about is to gloat over what is taken away from other people, absolutely no matter that they never used it themselves and also won't use the replacement. They only seem to be glad that someone else is unhappy.
Don't think that's the case. I for one are happy that Matzticas gone because i've always found it to be an uninspired and boring place. I never felt the urge to play a campaign or even a single adventure there. For me it just didn't feel very D&D like or fitting for the tone of fantasy i wanted. So, of course i'm happy that they replace this sore thumb with something new, something more thematically fitting to the realms, i might actually use. That's my take on it. :)

Dr. Strangemonkey said:
Or it means that you run a campaign in those portions of Maztica that have suddenly found themselves on Abeir.
That's actually a very interesting idea! And pretty much the only way you might get me to play in Matztica. ;)

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Sad, sad, sad... Tackled on as much as they say, those 'real' parts were cool - Maztica, Kara-tur, Zakhara, hordeland... The others will probably go too.... ;-; Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

But I will live with it... As long thematical equivalents or bits of them exist. There HAVE to be.

Remove ads