D&D 5E Crawford on Stealth

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
. . . And right now, I can't remember how I run attack rolls.

I just can't remember if we require the attack roll be greater than the AC.

I think I'm going dumb. :-S

Attack rolls only need to hit the AC. The tie rule only applies to OPPOSED ability checks. Most ability checks just need to hit a DC, also.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Read chapter 7 again. If you are "still in the process of trying to hide" then the die with which you are making your DEX (Stealth) check is still rolling. Once the die stops rolling, however, and you have the resulting number to represent your attempt to hide, from that point forward, you are hiding until one of two things happens. Either you stop hiding voluntarily or by accident, or you are discovered as the result of your check being contested by another creature's WIS (Perception) check. The attempt to hide comes first, followed by any attempt to discover which contests it. These are the same rules for hiding in chapter 7 which are followed when you take the Hide action in combat.

You're forgetting that there is a Perception die rolling at the same time. I'll be generous and assume that you're not seriously advocating that whichever die stops rolling first wins the situation.

So the situation before the roll still stands. Perception wins.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I was slightly fascinated by starting a thread that continued for so many pages. (Longest thread I ever sponsored)

Now I am slightly embarrassed at what it has evolved into.

Oh well.

Arial Black

Adventurer
Read chapter 7 again. If you are "still in the process of trying to hide" then the die with which you are making your DEX (Stealth) check is still rolling. Once the die stops rolling, however, and you have the resulting number to represent your attempt to hide, from that point forward, you are hiding until one of two things happens. Either you stop hiding voluntarily or by accident, or you are discovered as the result of your check being contested by another creature's WIS (Perception) check. The attempt to hide comes first, followed by any attempt to discover which contests it. These are the same rules for hiding in chapter 7 which are followed when you take the Hide action in combat.

The contest we are talking about (trying to hide while the enemy tries not to lose track of you) is not "first: hide, then: search."

This contest is simultaneous. It literally doesn't matter which die is thrown first at the table around which the players are sitting, because what is being represented is the simultaneous opposing efforts.

In a tug-of-war you don't have the two teams taking turns to pull the rope! Both teams are pulling at the same time, and if you are playing this out in 5E rules then it doesn't matter which d20 hits the table first, the action in-game is simultaneous and opposing.

In the contest of Stealth versus Perception where the guy trying to become hidden is being actively opposed throughout the entire process by the enemy trying not to lose track of him, then either the Stealth check OR the Perception check could be rolled first at the gaming table, but it makes no difference to the in-world situation of simultaneous struggle.

One player rolls the d20 for one skill check, another rolls the d20 for the other check (or the DM might roll), and the two results are compared. It makes no difference who rolled first at the table because the actions being resolved are simultaneous.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The contest we are talking about (trying to hide while the enemy tries not to lose track of you) is not "first: hide, then: search."

This contest is simultaneous. It literally doesn't matter which die is thrown first at the table around which the players are sitting, because what is being represented is the simultaneous opposing efforts.

In a tug-of-war you don't have the two teams taking turns to pull the rope! Both teams are pulling at the same time, and if you are playing this out in 5E rules then it doesn't matter which d20 hits the table first, the action in-game is simultaneous and opposing.

In the contest of Stealth versus Perception where the guy trying to become hidden is being actively opposed throughout the entire process by the enemy trying not to lose track of him, then either the Stealth check OR the Perception check could be rolled first at the gaming table, but it makes no difference to the in-world situation of simultaneous struggle.

One player rolls the d20 for one skill check, another rolls the d20 for the other check (or the DM might roll), and the two results are compared. It makes no difference who rolled first at the table because the actions being resolved are simultaneous.

My point wasn't about the order in which dice are rolled. My point was about the method of resolution described in chapter 7 and referred to by the Hide action. The method you describe doesn't appear in chapter 7 and isn't the prescribed method for resolving the Hide action. But have fun doing it your way.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Yes it would, since I see it exactly the opposite of that.

Glad to be of assistance! 😁

I'm saying it feels odd to me to look at it the quoted way.

Try it on for size. You might like it. 😃

Seriously though, it isn't very difficult conceptually. The DM determines that conditions appropriate for hiding exist, and a character or monster utilizes them by staying out of sight and staying quiet, which is all you need to do to commence hiding. This attempt to hide covers the transition from noticed to unnoticed if such a thing is necessary, depending on the situation. The question that is then answered by any contest that arises is whether a creature that searches for signs of the hiding character's or monster's presence can detect the hiding character or monster by hearing any quiet noises it may make.

Remove ads