• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating new dragons!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
What about things like control air, energy ball, fiery discorporation as PLAs?

For SLAs, possibly haste, pyrotechnics, expeditious retreat (or a variation which also increases burrow speed), produce flame, wind wall. I haven't looked at this as carefully as I did with aluminum, so just throwing some ideas out there.

RavinRay said:
A little digression for the aquatic dragons... I did a Word version of them, and also an update with Demodragon, subpsionic gem dragons (and their carnelian dragon representative to Sardior), the two other "missing" metallic dragons (electrum and pewter, to accompany the mercury dragon and to counter the orange, purple, and yellow dragons), as a PDF. I've also got the two jewel dragons, the amber and pearl dragons, in a Word doc. Which one do you want me to attach for you to review? And I just came up with a Aprilesque idea: semi-metallic dragons, named after the semi-metals in the Periodic Table: antimony, arsenic, and bismuth.

Hey, I'd be interested in any or all of these! What ever you're willing to attach. As for the semi-metallics, that's a great idea! (Are subpsionics like this?) Maybe we can come up with some kind of semi-chromatic dragon, maybe based on shades (like eggshell for "off-white" or cerulean for "blue").

RavinRay

Explorer
Aquatic dragons

Here is my original aquatic dragons as I proposed them to Paizo's Dragon. I did them in MS Word, and divided it into subdocuments for the chromatic, metallic, and gem dragons. Open the Aquatic True Dragons Proposal.doc file first, then in outline mode expand the subdocuments to see them in full. The names of the aquametallic dragons are the original ones I submitted, whereas now I'm thinking of changing some of them. There are hyperlinked footnotes everywhere for the benefit of Dragon's editors to read why I choose that particular feature. Feel free to comment!

Attachments

• Aquatic True Dragons.zip
    87.7 KB · Views: 127

metaldragon0

First Post
Awesome! I've already given them a look over, and so far my favorite is the Rubidium Dragon. A fire dragon that lives in the water, ironic and interesting. I've seen some of your dragon/other monsters, before, and like them these are top notch. I'd like to see the rest if your willing to do so.

JiCi

First Post
RavinRay said:
Here is my original aquatic dragons as I proposed them to Paizo's Dragon. I did them in MS Word, and divided it into subdocuments for the chromatic, metallic, and gem dragons. Open the Aquatic True Dragons Proposal.doc file first, then in outline mode expand the subdocuments to see them in full. The names of the aquametallic dragons are the original ones I submitted, whereas now I'm thinking of changing some of them. There are hyperlinked footnotes everywhere for the benefit of Dragon's editors to read why I choose that particular feature. Feel free to comment!
Thanks for the files RavinRay, these look awesome ! I honestly don't have notice any mistakes or miscalculations, so they look good.

For the half-dragon, how about adding Hold Breath for the special qualities ? It just seems weird that an aquatic half-breed does not have stronger lungs.

One more thing, aquatic dragons make flipper flaps instead of tail slaps. You wrote that they can slap one opponent each round, yet you wrote in the table that they can make 2 slaps... huh, which one is right ?

EDIT: I just read that Water Breathing would have unbalance the usual half-dragon template, so forget about Amphibious... but Hold Breath isn't much of a deal: you just delay your own death while underwater.

P.S. Newsflash ! In Dragon #356, the 5 ferrous dragons will be detailed and converted into 3.75 (3.5 with new stat block)

Last edited:

Gothenem

Explorer
3.75??? AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

No, do NOT use this appelation!!!

EVER!

That's a full .25 closer to 4.0

and 4.0 had BETTER NOT appear!

RavinRay

Explorer
My bad on the flipper slap, it's supposed to be 2 opponents per round. Visualize the dragon with the "fingers" on its front flippers extended with the webbing spread out so that it presents a large surface area to deal bludgeoning damage. Of course, it can't use its claws at the same time. I might reduce the Strength bonus factor for this to match that for its claw attacks because they both use the fore limbs.

I deliberately wanted a creature with both the aquatic and fire subtypes, because (barring the rule on the water-dominant trait of the Elemental Plane of Water) it doesn't say anywhere that it's impossible. I might change the names of the rubidium and cesium dragons to those of metals or alloys known in medieval times or antiquity, since they sound too technical for me. One of the names I might use is lead, and it's connection to water is that the Romans used lead plumbing for their water (giving rise to the speculation that lead poisoning of their drinking water must have contributed to the decline of the Roman empire). I don't think I explained in the file that the reason I chose rubidium and cesium is that, at slightly above room temperature (or hot climates) they start to melt into a viscous liquid; hence I wanted metals that are liquid at comparatively low temperatures. Gallium is the fourth metal that does so, but I'm reserving that for the deific version of Medrinia (a unique aquatic dragon that appeared in the old Dragon article "Spawn of Tiamat, Children of Bahamut" by former Dragon publisher Keith Strohm), who is Bahamut's representative to the good aquatic dragons (and which I plan to make as his consort as a lesser deity, with Tiamat and Sardior having their own aquatic dragon deity consorts as well).

I'll attach the jewel dragons next (my own conversion of the 2e amber and pearl dragons).

Last edited:

RavinRay

Explorer
JiCi said:
P.S. Newsflash ! In Dragon #356, the 5 ferrous dragons will be detailed and converted into 3.75 (3.5 with new stat block)
So how do they pull off converting those two tables into the new stat block? If this is really the case, then :] for me coz if I want my in-house PDF's to be current I'll have to reformat them!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Still a bit swamped from work and haven't gotten a chance to look at those aquatics yet. :] But I'm looking forward to it!

Does someone want to start a statblock for the peridot dragon? I'd do it, but I don't see in the help pages how you do the tables. I'd figured that the html tags might work, but that just seems to post the raw code.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads