Crusade

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Kahuna Burger said:
Considering JMS's responses to criticism (as I observed on the BAB5 groups during 5th season) I have to take anything he says about what went wrong with Crusade with a healthy dose of salt. :(

Eh, Considering he plotted and almost single-handedly wrote the best SF show put on TV to date, I'd say he's warned any ego he has.

Villano

First Post
Mistwell said:
Just started watching this show, by the writer of Babylon 5. The acting is really awful for many of the key characters, but the plots are pretty solid so far.

Actually, I felt the opposite was true. I hated the stories. It seemed to me to become exactly what B5 was not, Star Trek. I'm not sure how much was the result of executives or JMS.

I did find Galen to be very annoying, though. He's currently on the History Channel show, Conquest. He seems likeable enough there and the show is pretty interesting (although I prefer Mail Call).

But, it was nice seeing Marjean Holden on the show (she was the doctor). I've been a fan of her's since I first saw her on an episode of Tales From The Crypt. A very beautiful woman. :)

Kahuna Burger

First Post
WayneLigon said:

Eh, Considering he plotted and almost single-handedly wrote the best SF show put on TV to date, I'd say he's warned any ego he has.

BAB5 was a great show, but there is no way in my book to earn the right to say (in almost as many words) "If you don't like what I've done, its because you aren't smart/mature/peceptive enough to understand it."

JMS, and a couple of other writers have taught me not to impart any feelings I have about an artists work to them personally. I liked the crusade pilot/movie and would have watched the show had I had cable at the time... but as I said, any of his personal commentary on the creative process and such is taken with a bit of salt.

Kahuna Burger

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Re: Re: Crusade

Villano said:

Actually, I felt the opposite was true. I hated the stories. It seemed to me to become exactly what B5 was not, Star Trek.

I thought it was supposed to be Star Blazers? Or was that just the pilot? :p

Anyway, my dream for a followup series was that he would go the exact thematic opposite of bab5. He'd done the 5 year plot, I wanted to see an anthology show. The Babylon 5 Universe, or something. There were so many stories that were only touched on, or only seen in their connections to the station and its people that could have been the fodder for years of contained episode stories. I'm looking forward to the d20 system coming out, but I just hope it allows for that variety of storytelling, rather than forcing the various organizations into universal roles based on how they got along with sheridan and delen.

Kahuna Burger

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mallus said:
I wish he was working on Enterprise. I really do. Now that would be the shot in the storyline, err, arm, that Enteprise needs.

Hm. Having JMS work on Enterprise would be sort of like having an orange farmer working in an apple grove.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Wonder if we will ever see anything else for B5, such as Legend of the Rangers? TNT had issues from the start and I am sorry that they did not let JMS do what he wanted.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Crusade

Kahuna Burger said:
I thought it was supposed to be Star Blazers? Or was that just the pilot? :p

I've never even seen and episode of Star Blazers, but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the 'big giant gun'.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Crusade

WayneLigon said:

I've never even seen and episode of Star Blazers, but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the 'big giant gun'.

I haven't seen it either, but there were some pretty compelling comparisons sited on the usenet groups when the pilot came out. (and some very weak rebuttals. :rolleyes: )

Kahuna Burger

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mallus said:
Why do you say that?

Because the two franchises are quite different. They may be in the same genre (sci-fi/fruit), they are about as similar as apples and oranges.

JMS does what he does very well. But what he does is not Star Trek. I wouldn't ask an orange-grower to grow apples for me. I wouldn't ask a sculptor to do a painting for me. I wouldn't ask JMS to do Star Trek for me.

In addition, JMS hates being tied to other people's rules. This nearly killed B5, it did kill Crusade. Whether or not this was for the better is aside the point. There is no franchise in the history of TV that is more tied to other people's rules than Star Trek.

Remove ads