D&D 5E Curse of Strahd - Death House

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Wolves *working for* the vampire"?

The thought sent a chill through Mr. Aldershot. It was such an odd way of phrasing, un-natural. he eyed Wergil, who clearly understood more about their predicament than he did. He assumed so much, but it may be he was right.

"*Our* enemy"? That caught him too.

Mr Aldershot looked around. They were caught together, by forces beyond their control. and now they must act, whether to preserve the life of this woman (should they find the means to do so), or to help the villagers and this Barovia the letter mentioned, or (dare he think it?) to face the vampire itself, a creature that Mr. Aldershot knew from the stories was antithetical to all natural things.

"Fine," he said aloud. "What do we do?"

Wrex

First Post
He nodded at Farshid reluctantly. "Flame is the ultimate purifier. We cannot leave the corpse to rot...or worse".

At least they had a foe. "A vampire to kill. Finally something in this place that makes sense. I'm starting to like it here. If there is someone to save, let us find her".

[section]Girri eyed Farshid, alarmed at the manic look in his eyes even as it receded. She stepped away from the charred corpse. "Just wasn't expecting flames over tea and scones, at least not this early in the day. Give a lady," she deadpanned, "some notice before you set about burning things to crispy bits." The fog eddied closer, and Girri--now thoroughly spooked--jumped as she thought she spied a pair of yellow eyes slanting through the chill air. She blinked. There was nothing there. She frowned. "I mislike this place. Onward seems as good a decision as any. And here's hoping there's a warm bowl of stew and a hearth somewhere at journey's end." Girri stepped back onto the path, but, preferring the middle, hung back to let one or two of the others go first. [/section]

[sblock=Stats]Variant Human Bard 1
HP: 8/8
AC: 13
Initiative: +2
Saves: Dexterity, Charisma
Languages: Common, Halfling (race), Vistari (background)
Passive Perception: +4

STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 14 CHA: 15

Spell Save DC: 12
Spell attack modifier: +4
Cantrips (2): light, prestidigitation
1st level (2/2): cure wounds, dissonant whispers, faerie fire, sleep

Bardic Inspiration: (2/2), long rest. Bonus action, choose one creature other than yourself within 60' who can hear you. d6 to an ability check, attack roll, or save w/i 10 min.

Bladed Scarf +4, 1d4+2, finesse, 10 ft reach
Dagger +4, 1d4+2, thrown, finesse, light, 20'

Acrobatics 4
Arcana 3
Insight 4
Investigation 3
Perception 4
Performance 4
Persuasion 4
Sleight of Hand 4
Stealth 4[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kasimir

Kasimir paced near where the trail entered the trees. He seemed to be working himself into a fine state of agitation but stopped abruptly and stared when Farshid burnt the corpse.

"The girl may have languished away and died by now. That fire; that would give a vampire pause."

He continues to stare at Farshid. There is no threat to it but, perhaps, blunt wonder of what the foreign man is made of. He breaks the stare and his eyes sweep the area. "Is there aught else you would do before we travel on?"

[sblock=Kasimir's Stats]
CG Variant Human Barbarian 1
Init +1; Senses passive Perception 13
AC 13/14 (Unarmored Defense/Dual Wield); hp 14 (1d12+2)
Saves Strength +5, Constitution +4
Speed 30 ft

Str 16 (+3), Dex 13 (+1), Con 15 (+2), Int 8 (-1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10

Actions
Longsword +5 1d8+3 slashing
(bonus) Dual Wield - Handaxe +5 1d6 slashing
(bonus) Rage 2/2
Javelin +5 1d6+3 piercing; range (30/120)

Feats Dual Wielder
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidate +2, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Survival +3
Languages Common, Abyssal, Orc
Special Wanderer

Gear longsword, handaxe (x2), explorer’s pack, javelin (x4), staff, hunting trap (bear trap), trophy (wolf skin cloak), traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, wooden flute, 8 gp

Wild I rush in, where angels fear to tread. (Trait)
Rebel Your manners, your titles; they mean nothing when the dark comes for you. (Trait)
Abnegation Labourdine honor may be lost, but no else will fall to its curse while I still draw breath. (Ideal)
Outcast I let no one close. (Bond)
Secret I crave and fear the wild power of the Labourdine curse. (Flaw)
[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
A second howl joins the first, and they both seem closer than before.

Deciding to move on, the group of strangers continue down the path for an hour or more, until the dirt trail eventually fades into a gravel road. The gravel road leads to a village, its tall houses dark as tombstones. Nestled among these solemn dwellings are a handful of closed-up shops. Even the tavern is shut tight.

A soft whimpering draws your eye toward a pair of children standing in the middle of an otherwise lifeless street. A young girl, perhaps ten, is trying to hush a younger boy, who is weeping and clutching a stuffed doll.

[section]The wretchedness of the crying boy pulled at Girri's memory. She thought of the icy nights she'd spent huddling under wharves, hoping for the generosity of strangers and dreaming of a bit of bread for her supper. The geas tugged at her heart, compelling her forward. She knelt before the boy and spoke softly. "I like your doll. What is it?" She offered the girl a smile, hoping all the while that Rufus and Kasimir weren't hulking nearby with a glower on their faces. [/section]

[sblock=Stats]Variant Human Bard 1
HP: 8/8
AC: 13
Initiative: +2
Saves: Dexterity, Charisma
Languages: Common, Halfling (race), Vistari (background)
Passive Perception: +4

STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 14 CHA: 15

Spell Save DC: 12
Spell attack modifier: +4
Cantrips (2): light, prestidigitation
1st level (2/2): cure wounds, dissonant whispers, faerie fire, sleep

Bardic Inspiration: (2/2), long rest. Bonus action, choose one creature other than yourself within 60' who can hear you. d6 to an ability check, attack roll, or save w/i 10 min.

Bladed Scarf +4, 1d4+2, finesse, 10 ft reach
Dagger +4, 1d4+2, thrown, finesse, light, 20'

Acrobatics 4
Arcana 3
Insight 4
Investigation 3
Perception 4
Performance 4
Persuasion 4
Sleight of Hand 4
Stealth 4[/sblock]

Yavathol

Explorer

At last, Wergil thought, as they entered the village. Though his strong young body still felt fresh, mentally he had been beginning to wonder if the trail had somehow, magically, formed a circle, dooming them to travel eternally and never arriving anywhere!

He rolled his eyes as Girri spoke to the children, and left her to it as he continued his path straight towards the tavern, "Let's find out who is in charge around here."

[sblock=status]Wergil hp 15/15
Str +0(+2 Saves) Dex +3, Con +3(+5 Saves), Int -1, Wis +0, Cha +0
Athletics +2, History +1, Perception +2, Persuasion +2, Survival +2
AC 18
Inspiration yes
Rages 2/2
HD: 1/1[/sblock]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Mr. Aldershot ignores Wergil's scorn of the children, and walks up to the children. Looks them in the eye. It is a soft glance, from gentle eyes. He puts his club into his shield hand, and offers an open palm to them. "Where are the others? Are there others here?" he asks.

He smiles a goofy grin. "Can you take me to them?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kasimir

Kasimir stopped in the middle of the street and watched as Girri and Mr Aldershot knelt to talk with the children. Children! He felt his hackles rise and a soft growl began to rumble in the back of his throat. He'd killed monsters that looked more innocent than these two. Kasimir's grip tightened on his weapons.

His eyes flicked briefly to Wergil and he gave a curt nod. "Go ahead, but watch yourself in there." After acknowledging Wergil's plan, Kasimir stood his ground and scanned the streets and alleys so that Girri and Mr Aldershot weren't surprised while they were dealing with these children.

[sblock=Kasimir's Stats]
CG Variant Human Barbarian 1
Init +1; Senses passive Perception 13
AC 13/14 (Unarmored Defense/Dual Wield); hp 14 (1d12+2)
Saves Strength +5, Constitution +4
Speed 30 ft

Str 16 (+3), Dex 13 (+1), Con 15 (+2), Int 8 (-1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10

Actions
Longsword +5 1d8+3 slashing
(bonus) Dual Wield - Handaxe +5 1d6 slashing
(bonus) Rage 2/2
Javelin +5 1d6+3 piercing; range (30/120)

Feats Dual Wielder
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidate +2, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Survival +3
Languages Common, Abyssal, Orc
Special Wanderer

Gear longsword, handaxe (x2), explorer’s pack, javelin (x4), staff, hunting trap (bear trap), trophy (wolf skin cloak), traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, wooden flute, 8 gp

Wild I rush in, where angels fear to tread. (Trait)
Rebel Your manners, your titles; they mean nothing when the dark comes for you. (Trait)
Abnegation Labourdine honor may be lost, but no else will fall to its curse while I still draw breath. (Ideal)
Outcast I let no one close. (Bond)
Secret I crave and fear the wild power of the Labourdine curse. (Flaw)
[/sblock]

Remove ads