D&D 5E [D&D 5E] B1: In Search of the Unknown (Recruiting)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Regarding gods and monks...

There are no gods in the setting, but there is a fairly pervasive religion known as the Healing Light. While it is more prevalent in the west, it still has a significant presence in the east, with small chapels in many towns and a cathedral in the capital city of Specularum. The Healing Light has a variety of saints - St. Cuthbert, St. Pelor (the founder of the church), St. Heironeous, etc.

Monks of the Open Hand are affiliated with the Church of the Healing Light, choosing to study the Light's mysteries in secluded monasteries. Monks of the Way of Shadows and the Way of the Four Elements are exceedingly rare and usually train in secret, with a single master and one, maybe two students.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Regarding gods and monks...

There are no gods in the setting, but there is a fairly pervasive religion known as the Healing Light. While it is more prevalent in the west, it still has a significant presence in the east, with small chapels in many towns and a cathedral in the capital city of Specularum. The Healing Light has a variety of saints - St. Cuthbert, St. Pelor (the founder of the church), St. Heironeous, etc.

Monks of the Open Hand are affiliated with the Church of the Healing Light, choosing to study the Light's mysteries in secluded monasteries. Monks of the Way of Shadows and the Way of the Four Elements are exceedingly rare and usually train in secret, with a single master and one, maybe two students.

Healing Light sounds pretty spot on, thanks for the quick reply.

Wolf118

Explorer
I hadn't really thought on the Monastic Tradition, since that's not until 3rd level. But just to keep things simple, I'll go with the Way of the Open Hand and Healing Light monastery.

Skarsgard

Explorer
Name: Herger Sigismundson
Class: Cleric 1
Background: Acolyte
Race: Human (Variant)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven, Orc

HP: 10
Hit dice: 1d8+2
Passive Perception: 15
Passive investigation: 12
AC: 15 (studded leather)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30'

Saving Throws:
Str -1
Dex 3
Con 2
Int 0
* Wis +5
* Cha 1

Base Stats
Strength: 8 (-1) Dexterity: 16 (3) Constitution: 14 (+2) Intelligence: 10 (0) Wisdom: 16 (+3) Charisma: 8 (-1)

Skills
Acrobatics +3
Animal Handling +3
Arcana 0
Athletics -1
Deception -1
*History +2
*Insight +5
Intimidation -1
Investigation +0
*Medicine +5
Nature +3
*Perception +5
Performance -1
Persuasion -1
*Religion +2
Slight of Hand 3
Stealth 3
Survival 3

* = proficiency

Other Proficiencies:
Armor: All armour, shields
Weapons: All simple weapons
Feat: Healer (can use Healers kit to heal 1d6+4 [+1 per HD of creature])
Attacks
Melee: Dagger +5 (1d4+3/Piercing)
Ranged: Light Crossbow +5 (1d8+3/Piercing)

Equipment:
Studded leather
Light Crosbow
60 bolts
2 bolt cases
Explorer's Pack
-Backpack, Blanket, Bedroll, Messkit, Tinderbox, 10 torches, 10d rations, waterskin, 50ft hemp rope
dagger x2
Healers Kits x5
Holy Symbol - Amulet
Prayerbook
5 sticks incense
Vestments
Common Clothers
Soap x5
Whetstone
Sacks x2
Belt Pouch

Coins: 9 sp

Features and Traits

Spellcasting
Spellcasting Class: Cleric
Spell Save DC: 13
Spell Attack Bonus: +5
Background Feature: Shelter of the Faithful

Spell Slots:
1: 2

Cantrips
Light
Mending
Guidance

1st-Level Spells - prepared
#Bless
#Detect Magic
#Healing Word
#Protection From Evil

Background Info
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 155 lbs.
Eyes: Blue
Skin: Tanned, Face tattooed
Hair: Blond

Personality Traits: I am tolerant of other faiths and respect the worship of other gods.
Ideals: I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
Bonds: I owe my life to the priest who took me in when my parents died.
Flaws: My piety sometimes leads me to blindly trust those that profess faith in my god.

Character Backstory:

Herger Sigismundson was only 5 when his tribe was wiped out by an Orc warband. He survived by throwing himself into the freezing river near the village and was swept several miles downstream. Freezing and on the point of death, the small boy way found by a convoy of priests on their way to Threshold to serve at the church there. The priests of the Healing Light tended to him over the next week while he battled fevers and his own tortured memories of the loss of his family. One priest in particular, Brother Ethelstaan, took the boy under his care.

Several years passed and the boy, now almost a man, entered the service of the Healing Light and studied as an acolyte before taking his vows and becoming a priest. A devout man, he always seeks to aid those who need his help, especially those who share his faith. But some of the barbarian child survived and his heart thirsted for adventure, no quiet cloistered life for him, on the field of battle there would be many who would need his aid.

Herger is very clinical in his approach to medical care, those that can be helped will be given the best care he can provide. Those who are too far gone, or enemies, will find the quick release of his blade. For sometimes, to heal a patient one must take a limb or even a life to save the whole. Like most of his profession he believe that cleanliness is a good precurssor to health in general and despite his savage, tattooed appearance, he always tries to maintain a certain standard of cleanliness.
[MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION] FYI I have taken 5 Healers Kits (I have taken Healer Feat), please let me know if you feel this is excessive.

Wolf118

Explorer
Thedren

Name: Thedren
Class: Monk
Background: Hermit
Race: Wood Elf
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Languages: Common, Elven, Orc

HP: 9
Hit dice: 1d8+1
Passive Perception: 15
AC: 15 (Unarmored)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 35'

StatsBonusSaving Throws
Strength: 10+0+2*
Dexterity: 16+3+5*
Constitution: 12+1+1
Intelligence: 10+0+0
Wisdom: 16+3+3
Charisma: 11+0+0

Skills
Acrobatics +5*
Animal Handling +3
Arcana 0
Athletics +2*
Deception 0
History 0
Insight +3
Intimidation 0
Investigation 0
Medicine +5*
Nature 0
Perception +5*
Performance 0
Persuasion 0
Religion +2*
Sleight of Hand +3
Stealth +3
Survival +3

Other Proficiencies:
Armor: None
Weapons: Simple weapons, short swords, long swords, long bow, short bow

Attacks
Melee
- Bo Staff: +5 (1d6+3 Bludgeoning or 1d8+3 Bludgeoning if wielded 2H)
- Short Sword: +5 (1d6+3 Piercing)
- Unarmed: +5 (1d4+3 Bludgeoning)

Ranged
- Dart: +5 (20/60, 1d4+3 Piercing)

Equipment
Bo Staff
Short Sword
10 Darts
Dungeoneer's Pack (Backpack, Crowbar, hammer, 10x pitons, Tinderbox, 10 days rations, waterskin, 50ft hempen rope)
Winter Blanket
Herbalism Kit
Scroll case with notes
Common Clothes

Coins
GP: 5
SP: 1

Features and Traits
Darkvision, 60’
Fey Ancestry (Adv vs charms, can’t be put to sleep)
Trance (instead of sleep)
Mask of the Wild (Attempt to hide in natural light obscuration)
Unarmored Defense
Martial Arts

Personal Characteristics
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 133 lbs.
Eyes: Silver
Skin: Natural copper color; weathered and tanned
Hair: Black, shaggy

Personality Traits: I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster. I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen
Ideal: The stories, legends, and songs of the past must never be forgotten, for they teach us who we are.
Bond: I will someday get revenge on the corrupt temple hierarchy who branded me a troublemaker and isolated me.
Flaw: I have trouble keeping my true feelings hidden. My sharp tongue lands me in trouble.

Character Backstory
Thedren was inducted into the Church of the Healing Light at the age of 10, when his parents were injured and lost their business to a fire, and were unable to provide for their children. His other siblings were found apprenticeships with various artisans, but Thedren tested successfully with the Church and was initiated into the mysteries of the faith.

However, Thedren soon ran afoul of the instructors and others whose dogma was not in line with the doctrine they were teaching. Thedren, unable to keep quiet about the discrepancies, instead found himself branded a troublemaker and was inches away from being tossed out of the Church.

Instead, by some unknown intervention, he found himself transported to an isolated monastery at the age of 14. There, Thedren found himself in the company of other ‘undesirables’ of the Church; alcoholics, heretics, thieves, and liars. Still, it was a place where one could speak their mind without being punished, and Thedren found others like himself who spoke out against excesses and doctrinal abuses. They taught him the true path of the Church, in line with the teachings of the saints.

Twenty years Thedren spent at that monastery, learning about the Church and warring with his rage against those who had sent him there. He honed his body and his skills, learning the arts martial from those who would teach him. About a year ago, he felt he had a vision, from a force unrecognizable, telling him to go forth into the world and seek out those who would destroy the Church. With the (admittedly drunken) blessing of the Monastery’s master, Thedren set forth to find the enemies of his faith.

Thedren is often at odds with himself. On one hand, he has the teachings and true doctrine of the Church, as he learned them in exile. On the other hand, he has a quick and sharp tongue that does not often hesitate to point out hypocrisy and failings in people’s faith. He is still learning to control himself, and to not be so critical of others. His vision has confirmed his faith in the saints, and he often meditates on their messages and actions.

Remove ads