• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr (FULL)

Forged Fury

First Post
Yes!

So for those selected, go ahead and determine your standard starting equipment if you have not already done so. @CanadienneBacon, you can go ahead and erase the equipment from your character sheet that isn't a monetary equivalent (the gems) or magic item (the ring) and go through this process as well. From there you all have an additional 500gp and may also sell any of your starting gear for half price. @CanadienneBacon: you can sell the gems for full price and add them to your total, but you won't be able to find a buyer for the ring where you are starting. With those funds, you can:

1) Buy whatever equipment you choose within your new means.
2) Spend 250gp to learn an additional tool proficiency or langauge. You may spend all of your starting windfall if you would like to train twice.
3) Spend 500gp to acquire one minor magical item. Unfortunately, I don't have my DMG at work, so I can't tell you which tables are appropriate for the selection. I'll update that later this evening. For those who don't have the DMG and want a magic item, we can work it out.
4) A combination of the above three items.

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=6801323]Marcelus14[/MENTION] Passive checks won't require an action. With respect to stealth, the observer's passive check essentially becomes the DC for the person attempting stealth.

Also, can you delete your post in the House Rules discussion? As noted in the first post of that discussion, I'd like to keep discussion concerning house rules/interpretations relegated to the OOC thread. I know I haven't created one of those yet, but we can do that here for now. I tried to delete it as a moderator, but it wouldn't allow me due to some forum error.

Forged Fury

First Post
Ah, sorry, I see what you're asking.

About the Monster Knowledge stuff, here's how it would work:

You encounter a huge multi-headed lizard creature.

Require No Action
- Proficient in History: It's a hydra! It can grow more heads!
- Passive Check is 15 (for example) or higher: Fire can stop it from regrowing heads

Require Action
- If you think there's more to learn after you have been given the automatic information, you can use an action to roll and beat a higher DC (18 for example): The heads make attempts to blind, charm, deafen, frighten, stun, and knock unconscious much more difficult. The extra heads also make it more capable of taking advantage of opponent's mistakes.
- Not Proficient in History: Roll Intelligence and see what you get.

Some opponents may be so common place that proficiency is not required to identify them (kobolds, goblins, orcs, etc).

Given what bards do, I'm going to say that Jack of All Trades allows you to be considered proficient in all knowledge skills providing a passive check of 11 + INT modifier for any skills in which you are not proficient.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
So, party members, with regards to starting funds and disposition thereof:

1) What is the party's feeling on mounts? Personally I find them annoyingly finicky things to track in RPGs, but understand their purpose. Mostly however, I think they have to be an all or nothing kind of thing. Nobody wants to be the one person without a horse.

2) The party seems light on larceny. The training option provided gives me an opening, should I wish, to pick up proficiency in thieves' tools. Shall I do so, or shall we maintain our position as upstanding pillars of the community?

I have enough money left to buy Brue a mount. And Brue won't take thieves tools proficiency, but you go right ahead. She might needle you a little about using them, but then again maybe not...she's a grave robber, after all.

EDIT: [MENTION=95059]Forged Fury[/MENTION], I've updated Brue's character sheet to include the refreshed equipment list.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
If you want, you can try to lean on Gnorth. I treat Jack of All Trades as providing the requisite knowledge to attempt to pick locks or disarm traps... but his rolls might not be that high.

I need to log off for the remainder of the afternoon. It's my intention to start work on Brue's background either tonight or tomorrow night. So that I don't have to scroll through multiple pages of this OOC looking for character entries, I will wait until our RG is updated with everyone's sheets, and then I'll have a second read of ya'll's backgrounds. If someone is burning with a suggestion for a connection to Brue, drop me a line (PM, or here works). Boddynock, however, is going to have to be a new friend. Sorry, [MENTION=6800672]Egon[/MENTION], but you and I would be giving up waaay too many awesome roleplay opportunities to have it otherwise.

Whether it be a strong arm or a strong pick, Gnorth has no problem with opening locked doors and locked chests. His community felt no need for them (his tribe say that as a sort of pride point. It is also distinctly possible that his tribe's blacksmith was not up to the task. Gnorth will never tell.)

Remove ads