D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Gilwen

Explorer
5 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

Streamlined, flexible, awesome. Don't have time to fiddle with all of the options and bonus stacking in 3e or Pathfinder? Then DnD 5e gives you fast and streamlined without sacrificing an ounce of excitement!

This book got me back into the original D&D again. The art is incredible, no cheap art or cartoony, it made me marvel again at my favorite hobby of all time. The layout for classes and races are very easy to read. Sections are easy to find for combat and using ability scores. The Backgrounds and spells are my favorite part of the PHB, again refreshing new thing with Backgrounds, giving new players a personality and something to work with at the start of the game. Advantage and Disadvantage bring a great element to the game! The best part of the PHB 5E was not seeing all the heavy modifiers that Pathfinder or previous editions had, the game is now way simpler to run, even at high levels. Proficiencies rock, so there aren't pages and pages of skills and they made Feats very important by shortening the Feat bloating from Pathfinder and 3.5.There were some complaints about how the Spells were listed, at first it bugged me but now I'm use to it. Love this book!

maimonidesvii

First Post

I find that the 5e is the perfect blend of 2e's deadliness and quick combats, 3.x's playstyle and ruleset, and 4e's character creation options and ease of running the game. The PHB sets the stage for this style perfectly, and between the wonderful art, the simplified rules, and the incredibly interesting character options, this is the best character book for any game I own.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter

Having not played 4e and playing pathfinder the past 6 years, I didn't initially pick up anything 5e related. After reading some impressive reviews I decided to pick it up I'm glad I did. This edition recaptures the feel,of the D&D game I played when I first started back in 1986 or so. Haven't been able to put it down, much like when I was a kid cramming all the D&D books I could find back then.

Fildrigar

Explorer

I am loving the heck out of this edition of D&D. I've got one campaign going right now, and am about to start up a second one AT THE SAME TIME. I've never thought about doing something like that before. Combats don't take hours and hours to complete. And the production values. I just love this book so hard right now.

alfarobl

Explorer

Very good quality information and reference for any 5e player. Index is really helpful... only down side would be having better Spell reference, it is hard to find sometimes spells by ritual or school, etc.. here limitation is the book itself as it takes space. Wish there was an Electronic tool to help with Spell casters... but that is not an issue of this book. Like a lot the new art. System is easy to learn and takes about 15 minutes to create a new character. If you are a player this is all you need to play 5e.

marroon69

Explorer
3 out of 5 rating for D&D 5th Edition Player's Handbook

I find that E5 seems to get all the "new and shiny" press, every one praises for simply approach and getting back to old school feel. I am a D&D fan from way back, I have played every edition and I find this one to be so so. They got rid of the video game feel of 4E but it still feels like it is lacking...it still feels dumbed down and simplified where it was not needed. Do not get me wrong simpler is better, fast play will always win over heavy rules but some times rules have a reason. We have been playing for a few months now and it still seems to me to feel very much like E4 with some new paint and I do not see the old school everyone is raving about.I have no issue with book quality, top notch. Editing, top notch. Most of the art is awesome....except for the halflings this look terrible.

Remove ads