D&D Adventurers League Open Call for Designers

Have some great ideas for adventures? "Want to hear all the great stories your friends will tell about the time they played that amazing adventure you designed for the D&D Adventurers League? Then take the first step towards being a D&D Adventurer’s League adventure designer! Check out the instructions in the Open Call for Adventure Designers and send your submission to Resource Manager, Bill Benham at submissions@dndadventurersleague.org. We will be accepting submissions for this open call until February 28th."

Have some great ideas for adventures? "Want to hear all the great stories your friends will tell about the time they played that amazing adventure you designed for the D&D Adventurers League? Then take the first step towards being a D&D Adventurer’s League adventure designer! Check out the instructions in the Open Call for Adventure Designers and send your submission to Resource Manager, Bill Benham at submissions@dndadventurersleague.org. We will be accepting submissions for this open call until February 28th."

Only 8 days left, but still plenty of time to get your entries in! You do not have to have publishing credits, but it helps! More details here. It doesn't say how much it pays, but be sure to read What's A Freelancer RPG Writer Worth? before you apply!

Open-Call-for-Adventure-Designers.jpg

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'd submit something, but I really don't want to reformat everything into their template. My adventures are structured in more of an old school aesthetic on purpose. Just doesn't fit with their modern layout.

DM Howard

Explorer
Very cool. Too bad my store can't participate fully in D&D Adventurer's League because they aren't a higher tier store (aka don't sell enough Magic).

Sacrosanct

Legend
What's the difference as you see it?

I've always preferred the aesthetic look of the AD&D days. B/W interior art, text layout, etc. Also, modern adventures seem to be very much in a chapter format. You have to do chapter 1 before you move on, and everyone advances X amount after each chapter. I find the old school way a bit less rigid in that way, meaning while there was a general plot line you were encouraged to follow, there was nothing stopping you from really hitting any point of the encounters in whatever order. For example, you could go right to level 3 of ToEE if you wanted, or you could explore any of the caves in whatever order in KotBL, etc. I guess what I'm getting at is that in AD&D, your progression in the adventure was more determined by geography, while it seems to me that in these new adventures are more determined by story. This probably has to do with AD&D modules being much shorter than the campaign feel the new ones are trying to go after.

The layout I'm talking about is sort of like this:

With their template, it would require pretty much an entire rewrite from scratch in order to get everything to match. And I don't really want to do that for a 284 page adventure ;)

page39.jpg

Icon_Charlie

First Post
Very cool. Too bad my store can't participate fully in D&D Adventurer's League because they aren't a higher tier store (aka don't sell enough Magic).

Adventurer's League is simply a modified version of the old RPGA years ago to compete with the Pathfinder's Society. This is -WHY- I dislike this type of corporate thinking. This is a tool to promote a product. NOT to punish someone who is not selling enough of another product.

Lalato

Adventurer

This doesn't make sense to me. What do you mean by can't participate fully? Once you're on the Wizards Play Network, you can setup events an download adventures to be played in your store. There is no special tier tied to Magic: The Gathering that I've ever heard of.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
This doesn't make sense to me. What do you mean by can't participate fully? Once you're on the Wizards Play Network, you can setup events an download adventures to be played in your store. There is no special tier tied to Magic: The Gathering that I've ever heard of.

"In order to schedule D&D Expeditions & D&D Encounters, a store must be signed up as a member of the Wizards Play Network. D&D Encounters can be run by a store of Gateway level and above. D&D Expeditions adventures can only be run by stores of Core level and above"

EDIT: See Mistwell's post below about getting to Core level.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Adventurer's League is simply a modified version of the old RPGA years ago to compete with the Pathfinder's Society. This is -WHY- I dislike this type of corporate thinking. This is a tool to promote a product. NOT to punish someone who is not selling enough of another product.

He's mistaken. The requirements for a store to join are public. They don't relate to sales - of anything. You just have to join, and then have events, have enough players, report on it, and not have too high a delinquency rate. That's it. If his store wants to be a member, they can be a member.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Unfortunately, running Magic events does change the tier of your store. It's probably pretty hard to reach Core level without running Magic.

"In order to schedule D&D Expeditions & D&D Encounters, a store must be signed up as a member of the Wizards Play Network. D&D Encounters can be run by a store of Gateway level and above. D&D Expeditions adventures can only be run by stores of Core level and above"

Cheers!

Here are the requirements:

Report at least 4 events
Have at least 30 unique players in your reported events, combined
Run and report a single event with at least 12 players
Introduce at least 6 new players to WPN events
Maintain a delinquency rate of less than 20 percent

That's it. You don't need Magic. Not that hard really.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icon_Charlie

First Post
Unfortunately, running Magic events does change the tier of your store. It's probably pretty hard to reach Core level without running Magic.

Cheers!

Not good. Not good at all.

Remove ads

Remove ads