D&D Adventurers League Open Call for Designers

Have some great ideas for adventures? "Want to hear all the great stories your friends will tell about the time they played that amazing adventure you designed for the D&D Adventurers League? Then take the first step towards being a D&D Adventurer’s League adventure designer! Check out the instructions in the Open Call for Adventure Designers and send your submission to Resource Manager, Bill Benham at submissions@dndadventurersleague.org. We will be accepting submissions for this open call until February 28th."

Have some great ideas for adventures? "Want to hear all the great stories your friends will tell about the time they played that amazing adventure you designed for the D&D Adventurers League? Then take the first step towards being a D&D Adventurer’s League adventure designer! Check out the instructions in the Open Call for Adventure Designers and send your submission to Resource Manager, Bill Benham at submissions@dndadventurersleague.org. We will be accepting submissions for this open call until February 28th."

Only 8 days left, but still plenty of time to get your entries in! You do not have to have publishing credits, but it helps! More details here. It doesn't say how much it pays, but be sure to read What's A Freelancer RPG Writer Worth? before you apply!

Open-Call-for-Adventure-Designers.jpg

Icon_Charlie

First Post
Hello? Is this thing on? [Taps mic]. They're wrong. No sales involved, no Magic required, not really that hard to join or get into the League. Just read the requirements yourself.

The person posted (merric) denoted 2 different levels of D&D game play. Looks like I'm going to see one of my friends who owns a game store and I'll get back to this as soon as I can.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The person posted (merric) denoted 2 different levels of D&D game play. Looks like I'm going to see one of my friends who owns a game store and I'll get back to this as soon as I can.

Yes there ARE multiple levels, but it's not based on sales or Magic. I posted the link, you can read it yourself, the whole system is public - you don't need to ask anyone, it's all right there. The levels are based basically on how many games you host and report on at your store, along with getting new players to play. That's all it's about. The more people you get in there, the more games you host and game events you host, the higher tier your store goes. It's all directly related to you gaming - not sales, and nothing about Magic specifically.

I'd submit something, but I really don't want to reformat everything into their template. My adventures are structured in more of an old school aesthetic on purpose. Just doesn't fit with their modern layout.

It isn't just the layout, its the nature of the whole thing. I prefer designing adventures in which players decide which encounters are interaction and which are combat. I will generate stats for everything and then they interact or fight however it plays out. Dictating encounter type isn't my style.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Here are the requirements:

Report at least 4 events
Have at least 30 unique players in your reported events, combined
Run and report a single event with at least 12 players
Introduce at least 6 new players to WPN events
Maintain a delinquency rate of less than 20 percent

That's it. You don't need Magic. Not that hard really.

For small stores, this can be difficult. If you haven't run any events in your store and you find 6 people who want to run Expeditions then there is pretty much no way to get Core level without Magic.

Almost every store I know of in my area got their Core status by running Magic tournaments. Normally getting 12 players in one Magic event is easy. Not so much with D&D.

I'm not saying it's impossible but having a weekly Magic tournament for a month can almost single handedly make all the requirements. Without that, you need to run Encounters and manage to get 5 tables worth of Encounters players (30 unique players) in order to qualify for Expeditions adventures. I know our Core store has about 7 unique people showing up for Expeditions on a weekly basis. If not for Magic, they'd lose their status.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
It isn't just the layout, its the nature of the whole thing. I prefer designing adventures in which players decide which encounters are interaction and which are combat. I will generate stats for everything and then they interact or fight however it plays out. Dictating encounter type isn't my style.

They only need to be dictated on whatever outcome seems the MOST likely. Normally, this isn't very difficult. If they walk into a room of skeletons that are guarding the room, this is pretty much a 100% chance it is a combat encounter.

If you set up an encounter with a troll that is guarding its home and the PCs need to get inside, it's likely 90% chance of combat. So, write it as a combat encounter and if the PCs use their wits to bypass the combat, it's up to the DM at the table to adjudicate that.

If the encounter is with a farmer with 2 hitpoints who is friendly and wants to direct the PCs to where they need to go, you can safely label it an interaction encounter.

It's been my experience that in an adventure designed to last 4-5 hours and have a beginning and end during that time that the result of most encounters is fairly easy to predict in advance.

Raddu

Explorer
Very cool. Too bad my store can't participate fully in D&D Adventurer's League because they aren't a higher tier store (aka don't sell enough Magic).

Any level of WPN store can run D&D Encounters. The more Encounters you run, the more players you bring in and the store will get bumped to the next level and can then run D&D Expeditions.

You only need to be Gateway level to have D&D Encounters, which any store can do.
For D&D Expeditions you need to be core level, which isn't difficult. See the requirements to be a WPN Store.

Raddu

Explorer

There is no encounters type. The template is there for formatting purposes only. To make sure all of the adventures have a similar layout and feel. In fact there are no "encounters" in the adventures, each section is what the designer needs it to be. It could be notes on exploration, locations, NPCs, monsters, etc. They will give details on how to situation might unfold if the characters do this or that. From there's its up to the DM and players how it happens. Note that in the D&D Expeditions adventures there are not monster stats in every section because we don't assume fighting will always happen. The monster names are there so you can reference the monsters in the back, should you need to.

The same template would be used in any adventure, whether its event based, location based, or anything else.

Remove ads

Remove ads