D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use. AD

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use.

AD

Zilong

First Post
It looks nice? I guess. I already have a couple free apps that help me catalogue so this phase of the beta doesn't do much for me. As for the full plans for this program I can't say I'm enthralled. Subscriptions to stuff like this are no longer my taste. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing most mmos. Plus I already bought a herolab liscence which works just as well for me with the benefit that I already know how to add in my own material.

Edited for spelling. Autocorrect does interesting things some days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
It looks nice? I guess. I already have a couple free apps that help me catalogue so this phase of the beta doesn't do much for me. As for the full plans for this program I can't say I'm enthralled. Subscriptions to stuff like this are no longer my taste. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing most mmos. Plus I already bought a herolab listen every which works just as well for me with the benefit that I already know how to add in my own material.

There will be most of us who are simply looking for another way of making our game time play better, easier and ideally, more fun.

And then there will be those looking to promote it regardless of its merits or lack of, because they are tied or looking to tie revenue to it.

As it stands it provides nothing that cannot be gotten elsewhere.

Personally I'm wary of any system that takes rpgs away from its grass roots, where any Joe and Jane is encouraged to share their work for kudos and fun, and attempts to replace it with a system focused on monetization.

Let's face it - there's a lot of great stuff we enjoy for free. And there's a fair number of folks who would prefer to make a buck of it. Cynical? Maybe. Amazon & associates +

Last edited by a moderator:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Is there a single example in the history of TTRPGs of a fan posting content and then finding its been stolen by the company, repackaged, and sold without restitution? Anywhere? I'm not talking about "D&D's dragonborn are similar to the dragonic race I made 10 years ago and posted on the TSR AOL forums; WotC owes me money!" or "I created necromantic elves long before Eberron was a thing.", I'm talking literal theft of the idea soup-to-nuts and reselling it later as there own.

There has to be one example, right?

Well Monte did steal my ascending AC calculations to use in 3e but I do not begrudge him that.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Right now with the SRD info only its pretty functional. I really, really like the advanced filters on the monsters, that is insanely useful from a planning stand point.

Even the advanced filters on the magic items are crazy good as far as an organizational tool goes. If the filters for the character creator are even half that good I would be amazing.

DM Howard

Explorer
I really like this so far. I could definitely see myself using this on my iPad while I DM. A little easier to look up monsters and random spells on the fly. I mainly play on Fantasy Grounds, so the SRD isn't that useful for me, and I can't really say I like how they have that part organized.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I see this as just another bell and whistle that you really don't need, well I really don't need because why pay money for something I can do with my hands, brain, eyes, paper, and a lead pencil?

I really think they are flooding the hobby with too many subscription based materials. Doing this is as much a turn off is flooding the hobby with too many books. It will put people off.

Remove ads

Remove ads