D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use. AD

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use.

AD

Having poked around in the compendium a little bit, the usefulness of this product will depend on a few things.

1) Will there be a monster/ NPC builder.

2) How friendly will the formatting be on monsters, items, & other content when copying/inserting into a document for use at the table.

I would use this quite a bit for prep but I don't use electronic devices at the table. If the output isn't friendly for transfer to paper use at the table then the tool is of no use to me.

Can't wait to see the character builder in action.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I see this as just another bell and whistle that you really don't need, well I really don't need because why pay money for something I can do with my hands, brain, eyes, paper, and a lead pencil?

Understood, although you did buy a PH right? :) Packaging material can be convenient, even if it could be done one's self, at times.

I really think they are flooding the hobby with too many subscription based materials. Doing this is as much a turn off is flooding the hobby with too many books. It will put people off.

THIS I agree with.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
So far I like everything I see. But the real test will be its support for home-brew stuff. Because ultimately that's really what I'll need. I would even pay for a subscription for my groups if I can catalog all of our rules, etc. in one place that they can easily access.

All of the various tools available so far are geared more toward use in play (dice rollers, maps, etc.) in ways that I don't need. I just need an easily updatable and accessible tool segregated into DM and Player sections for quick reference.

Lanliss

Explorer
Understood, although you did buy a PH right? :) Packaging material can be convenient, even if it could be done one's self, at times.

THIS I agree with.

I don't agree at all. That is like saying that too many Movie subscription services turn people off of tv. I don't know anyone who looked at netflix and decided "I am never watching TV again". Not a single one of the subscriptions for D&D are required, and the only way one will even find them is if they are specifically looking for something providing those services.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Actually, research shows that too many choices does turn people off, but I get your point.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SanjMerchant

Explorer
Eh, until Phase II of the Beta goes live, it's not ulike a lot of other hyperlinked SRD's out there. The monster/NPC index works better than most I've seen, but the rest, thus far, is very much "meh."

Rendering a judgement on the product as a whole at this point feels like buying or rejecting a car just by looking at the dashboard.

EDIT: The spell compendium part wins points for having a functionality I've rarely seen: you can filter by two classes at once so you can, for example, see what rituals are available to both Clerics and Wizards at once. A "this-but-not-that" functionality would be a plus (e.g. "Show me rituals that a Cleric can use but that a Wizard cannot."), but still, good on that point.

So I guess on the big database type entries this does well so far. On the hyperlinking around small stuff, like the conditions page, it is less good. (Like, it might be cool to be able to filter and find "Conditions taht reduce target's speed." or "Conditions that debuff Cat Dex Saving Throws.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads